SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehlemk

Weird odor in bedroom but not anywhere else

last year

We bought our home back in March. After a few months we noticed a smell coming from our son's room which then led to him developing an awful cough. We're trying our best to avoid any bloodwork and trying to remediate the problem. We had a mold assessor come out and the report came back with no dangerous mold but his room did have cladosporium and ours did not. We decided to go forward with gutting our son's room down to the studs and had it all replaced. Unfortunately, the odor is still there and is affecting his cough still. Prior to moving in we also had the HVAC vents cleaned and a uv filter installed to the system. We also replaced his baseboard heat in hopes that may have been causing the issue but no such luck. My husband and father now tore down the ceiling in our garage which is below our son's room and noticed some mouse droppings. We cleaned the area and sprayed an enzymatic spray to neutralize the odor but still have not been able to remediate the issue. At this point we then ripped out the wood floors in his room, painted the floor in kilz and caulked around the edges to avoid anything to sleep up. We had carpet laid down (not installed) god forbid the smell returned and low and behold it has but in my opinion it now smells musty. Im not sure where to go from here, we are at a loss and hoping for some direction. The last step would be to tear out the subfloor but I honestly don't believe that would help. My gut says it's either the siding and there is a leak or it's something from the garage below still giving off a smell or the gutters that were gunked with crap before we moved in and when we cleaned them we unleashed a gross stink or a leak now behind the gutters. I'm not sure where to go or what to do.

Comment