SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_904559507

Layout help (please!) for an unexpected gut job

L D
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if I don't give enough or the right kind of info, but I've tried to include everything I could think of on the How Do I Ask For Layout Help thread.

After the holidays, I came home to a flooded house, so basically the whole downstairs is being gutted, rather unexpectedly (yikes!). I don't want to spend a ton of extra money outside replacement cost, but while all the floors and drywall are being replaced, it seems like a good time to knock out unwanted walls or make some desired changes. With my very limited budget, I can't really afford to hire a designer, and I don't plan to move any plumbing or load-bearing walls.

I've included the full floor plan below, (2 images since I couldn't get the whole thing in one scan) but my main concerns are the kitchen and sunroom. Yes, we'll be knocking those tiny closets out of the entry way near the living room so there's room for people to breathe when they walk in.

As you can see, the design is a little...strange...

Dilemma 1: Since the living room is long and narrow, and the dining room window is blocked by the enclosed patio, very little light reaches the kitchen and back of the house. We think the 9'9" wall between the sunroom and living room is load-bearing, so what do you all think about knocking out the 7'9" wall between the sunroom and dining room and the attached angled doorway to open up that area and let in more light? *Update: We got these mixed up - demolition revealed that for sure the 9'9" wall is NOT load bearing. Hope to know more about the other one in the next day or two.* It creates another long narrow open space with a random wall in the middle of a big open area, but it would let in a lot more light and open up the house. Too crazy? If it's not crazy, what to do with that long narrow space created?

Dilemma 2: Is there anything I can do with the kitchen to make it more functional? Currently the work triangle is a total of 11'7", way too small. I've put a dotted line in the plan indicating my idea to move the stove/oven to the back wall so it isn't next to the fridge anymore. This would create a much more functional work triangle with a total of 14'7" and all sides between 4' and 9'. Thoughts? If I knocked out the wall as suggested above, could I add a peninsula next to the fridge in the kitchen (it's the box taking up the space past the stairs), or would that just look too weird with a wall there?

Got any other ideas for what you would do instead? I'm open to your suggestions!

Additional info:

Ceilings are 8' throughout.

We really aren't in a position to move plumbing at all, since the house is on a slab.

Goals: More counter space (or even just more effective counter space) would be nice, and more natural light is definitely a goal.

Family composition: 2 adults with pets

Kitchen workers: 2, both do a lot of cooking (we're a long way from restaurants) and help with cleanup

How we use the kitchen: just for cooking and cleanup - no room for anything else, although everyone still tries to pile in there when we entertain, with most of them ending up standing around our small table in the dining room. We're open to purchasing a larger dining room table.

We entertain quite a bit, always informally, from small groups to a fairly sizeable group of families and small children.

We're open to some flexibility, but we need plumbing to stay where it is, and we think the walls surrounding the stairs are load-bearing along with the wall between the bathroom and hallway, so we can't move those right now. Also we think some of the small walls, around the fridge, next to the bathroom sink, etc. are load bearing (we should have more definite info from a pro on that soon).

We have used a sideboard in the dining room against the laundry room wall as a breakfast center and additional counter space, which has been helpful, and we can move that easily.

Our fridge is counter-depth and that has also made a difference.

Furniture and bottom cabinets in the kitchen will be replaced, but not uppers (bummer!) so should I try to paint everything? Non-matching top and bottom cabinets? I just can't get on board for the open shelving.

Comments (17)