SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueskysunnyday

Please help with cabinet hardware finishes

I am stuck on choosing a finish for my cabinet hardware, including appliance pulls. The perimeter cabinets are creamy with Danby Olympian marble tops and slab backsplash. The island is medium blue with a walnut counter. Faucets have been purchased and are a very simple style in unlaquered brass. I like the idea of mixing a shiny finish with a matte one, but since the unlaquered brass will patina over time, would that count as the shiny one or the matte one? My husband suggested that to make the decision more simple, we just stick with unlaquered brass for everything. I said OK, but now have come to realize that there are very few unlaquered brass appliance pulls out there and I haven't found "the one." If I can choose another cabinet hardware finish, I will have more options. Any advice?

In case it is helpful, the perimeter cabs are BM Lace Handkerchief and the island is BM Philipsburg Blue. Also, a pic of the general idea (with some older brass -- ignore the armadillo aspect!) below as well as faucet pics. THANK YOU!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Way too many finishes already so now pick one you already have for what ever elses needs to be done IMO the shiny brass no way and what si your sink? IMO appliance pulls are not decor items get the ones thta came with the appliances I guarentee no one cares that they do not always match. If possible return the brass and I do need to know what the sink is.

blueskysunnyday thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Well, Patricia, the fridge, freezer, dishwashers and ice maker are all panel-ready, so they do not come with handles. I need to choose some. Since the appliances will look just like my cabinets, my preference is that the hardware match the cabinet hardware. Do you disagree? I think I can get away with regular cabinet hardware for the DWs and ice maker, though. Sinks are enameled cast iron in a color that matches the cabinetry. I kind of doubt I could return the faucets -- I bought them in August. And, in any case, I like them.

• Related Discussions

Cabinet hardware finish help

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you Chachashea! I can't wait to see the floors in - I think they'll be done at the end of this week/early next. Appliances are stainless, as are the island pendants. Here are the lights, I think I stole this pic from here but it was so long ago I don't remember. ;-) Faucet is chrome, a bridge faucet on a farmer's sink.
    ...See More

HELP!! Faucet Finish vs. Cabinet Hardware Finish.

Q

Comments (7)
    I recently (as in this week!) was asking myself the same exact question - a quick look at all my kitchen magazines convinced me that the satin nickel faucet/stainless sink/ ORB hardware combo is done all the time. I think it's a great look. The faucet will pick up on the sink, your Wolf range, and any other stainless appliances you may have. Like you I have creamy cabinets with glaze( with a cherry island) , Wolf SS range, paneled fridge and SS undermount sinks. My granite is in the medium brown tones - New Venetian Gold. I'm doing ORB hardware on both perimeter and island, satin nickel faucets and stainless undermount sinks. Lighting will probably have ORB or similar trim. I've also seen ORB faucets matched up to ORB hardware , including mixed with stainless sinks (one like that right on the cover of one of a recent kitchen magazine) - those can be just gorgeous , too. To me, some faucets styles look better in the ORB than others - just personal preference. In addition to kitchen magazines, you might also want to check out the finished kitchen blog on this site - look at categories and then creamy colored kitchens or ORB. If you want a satin nickel faucet though, I think you'll be reassured by what you see.
    ...See More

Can you please help me to choose kitchen cabinet hardware?

Q

Comments (10)
    @Century Hardware, those pulls look great! I like it! @cpaul1 I like oiled rubbed bronze finish, but I wonder would it work with stainless steel appliences (sorry I've forgot to mention that)? @P Banos I like the strap look, it makes a lot sense to match it with flat panels. Thanks!
    ...See More

Help deciding cabinet hardware finish

Q

Comments (3)
    I would do satin nickel knobs and pulls.
    ...See More
  • Lyn Nielson
    last year

I'd go with the un lacquered brass for everything.

blueskysunnyday thanked Lyn Nielson
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Lyn. Does anyone have any recommendations for sources for unlaquered brass appliance pulls and matching cabinet pulls/knobs? I've been looking all day and just have not found what I am looking for.

• darbuka
    last year

I used ”regular” cabinet hardware on my paneled SZ fridge and paneled Bosch dw, that match the cabinets pulls. Got them through Top Knobs. You have to find a model that comes in a variety of sizes, including for fridge doors (at least 18”). Thing is, your desire for unlaquered brass may be a difficult propisition.

blueskysunnyday thanked darbuka
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Darbuka, I LOVE your pulls! They are simple with a beautiful finish. I was not aware that I could just use a larger pull -- I thought I was limited to ones specifically called "appliance pulls" for the fridge and freezer. That might open up some possibilities. Do you know happen to know how long the dishwasher one is?

• darbuka
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you! The simplicity drew me to them immediately. They are pewter on top of brass.

Well, those were called appliance pulls. Appliance pulls come in a variety of sizes, and not all lines have them.

You need to select a hefty pull. The pulls, even 6” ones, should have a substantial feel. You only get this when the base material is brass. Stay away from pulls with innards made of zinc. The threading in zinc pulls can easily be stripped, thus loosening the screws. This is why it’s important to visit a store, and hold various pulls in your hand. Ask a salesperson if the pulls are brass, or zinc.

Brass lined pulls are more expensive than zinc…but in the long run, well worth the money.

P.S. Forget HD, Lowes, or other big box stores. Their stuff is usally lightweight, and zinc. We found cabinet shops to be a great source. The usually carry several major brands

blueskysunnyday thanked darbuka
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

In case anyone in the future is in the position that I am (looking at the very limited options regarding unlacquered brass appliance pulls), my architect has just told me that sometimes he just buys the lacquered ones and removes the lacquer himself using a spray-on, wipe-off product (or you can take them to a furniture refinishing place).

• chispa
    last year

Well if you want to up your budget, when I remodeled my previous kitchen I bought pulls from Pruskin, all hand forged, solid bronze and customizable. Made in the USA. Loved those pulls! https://www.pruskinhardware.com/

I had too much hardware in the house we built last year to go to that level for everything. In the new house I used mostly Top Knobs and a few knobs from Rocky Mountain Hardware.

Pruskin pulls on my SZ fridge.

blueskysunnyday thanked chispa
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Chispa, those are really cool. I love the texture. You can tell they are hand-made and one-of-a-kind. We need a lot of pieces (also doing a bar, pantry, powder room and mudroom), so Pruskin is out of the question for me this time. However, I'm going to torture myself and go hang out on their website for a little bit. :)

• Kendrah
    last year

I used regular sized handles on my dishwasher and smaller appliance sides ones on fridge and freezer. Americans are obsessed with huge, huge, huge. I purchased from a great company that carries Armac Martin. The owner is a big lumberjack guy and said that even his big hands fit in small sized appliance pulls and advised me not to get gigantic ones.

I'm confused, do you already have cabinet pulls and you are now just looking for appliance pulls or do you need both? The armadillo seems like an unpolished antiqued brass, which goes way better with your gorgeous counter, wood, paint selections than the polished brass faucets. I don't think mixing and matching polished and antiqued brass works.

Why not see if you can exchange your faucets at this point? I used a delta champaign faucet with my unlacqured antique brass handles and love the combo. (See pic below of my kitchen, including dishwasher pull.)

Here are some places - they may or may not be in your price range that have unlacqured polished brass appliance pulls:

Armac Martin

Colonial Bronze

Also, this is what came up for a google shopping search for unlacqured brass appliance pulls. https://www.google.com/search?q=unlacquered+brass+appliance+pulls&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=AJOqlzUB3YrVrFAQsbtqNlBPySiOoiflHw:1673470786990&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOtbO-tMD8AhXvj4kEHT0lBD0Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1418&bih=709&dpr=2

blueskysunnyday thanked Kendrah
  • stiley
    last year

Since you have unlacquered brass for the faucet, I'd go with that finish for everything. Unlacquered brass is beautiful! I think polished nickel and unlacquered brass go well together since the nickel is warm; I'm having a hard time envisioning a brass faucet and nickel cabinet pulls though. But it could be pretty! And all the fancy interior designers I follow are saying that silver finishes are making a comeback.

I just bought appliance pulls from Rejuvenation, and they are super heavy and gorgeous. I think the heavy appliance pulls are important for the fridge but you could get away with long regular pulls for dishwasher and trash, but there may be a reason not to do it that I'm not aware of.

This picture has a long pull for our recycling pullout and an appliance pull for our trash compactor; you can see how much thicker the appliance pull is. I'm actually going to replace this appliance pull with a regular pull because we don't need it that heavy duty and I don't like the difference in size right beside each other.

blueskysunnyday thanked stiley
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Kendrah, the situation is that I have NOTHING in terms of metals yet other than the faucets (although the range has stainless on it). So, I'm looking for hardware, lights, etc. and thinking about finishes. The brass armadillo is just an old guy from an antique shop who lives on my bedside table. I included him to stand in for the eventual patina of the faucets. I don't plan to polish them. I don't really love the polished look, but I LOVE the patina look. Unfortunately, I have not seen any "pre-aged" brass finishes in faucets that look realistic or pleasing to me. That's how I ended up with polished faucets that I will have to wait to enjoy. Thank you so much for sending me some links! I will check them out!

Stiley, I agree that old, unlaquered brass and polished nickel look great together. I honestly was, in my head, picturing polished nickel cabinet hardware the whole time. But then I realized that there will be a period (before the patina sets in) when I will have 2 different, shiny metals and I am not sure that will look good. Thank you so much for the pictures! It is so helpful to see the dishwasher in particular. I was thinking I would do regular pulls for the dishwashers, but the architect tried to steer me towards appliance pulls. After seeing your pic, I am sure I will do the regular pulls. My current dishwasher just has a cabinet knob and it has worked fine for 10+ years. How long are your fridge/freezer appliance pulls? Architect said to get 12" for the 30" fridge and 30" freezer. Does that sounds right?

I really don't know if I could return the facuets at this point and get pre-aged ones (assuming I could find a finish I like). Does anyone know of manufacturers that make good ones? I did not see anything at Ferguson that I liked.

• stiley
    last year

My fridge pulls are 18”. My picture is actually of an old school trash compactor; we liked our old one enough that we bought a new one for the remodel! But I do think you’re right that an appliance pull is probably not necessary for a dishwasher either.

Here’s my polished nickel faucet mixed with unlacquered brass. The mix doesn’t bother me but I also think your faucet would patina fairly quickly if it bugged you for a while while it was shiny.

• Kendrah
    last year

Blogger Julie Blanner wrote a post on appliance pulls and have a whole section on unlacqured brass ones, since that is what she used in her own kitchen.

https://julieblanner.com/appliance-pulls/

blueskysunnyday thanked Kendrah
  • chicagoans
    last year

I went down quite a rabbit hole searching for appliance and cabinet pulls. (Ask me about my spreadsheet with columns of info on about 20 styles, LOL.) Sadly I found no armadillo pulls :)

In case it helps, folks here posted helpful responses on my recent post. A couple of things I learned that helped me narrow down choices: I only wanted solid brass construction (not zinc), and verified that my top two choices are back or through-bolt installation, not surface-mounted. (Pictures in the Julie Blass blog show a pull that has screws that look surface mounted; I would worry about using those on a refrigerator.)

Best of luck on your search... I feel your pain!

blueskysunnyday thanked chicagoans
  • chispa
    last year

I only used appliance pulls on the fridge, freezer and beverage fridge. The DW got a regular pull.

blueskysunnyday thanked chispa
  • blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

Yes! Armadillo pulls are the answer!

Stiley, I love all of the elements of your kitchen! Very pretty!

Kendrah and Chicagoans, I did see Julie Blanner's blog and I do like the simplicity of her pulls, but I was wary of the exposed-screw aspect. She has some good info in there, though.

I think I may have found one (and, Chicagoans, it is solid brass): the Hollywood Hills by Baldwin. Here is a pic of the 6" pull. I can't find a good one of the appliance pull. I would do pulls on the drawers (no idea of the size yet) and knobs for cabinets.

• stiley
    last year

I like those! And will you do honed marble? I considered Danby but found it hard to get here. It’s lovely. Excited to follow along with your kitchen!

• blueskysunnyday
    Original Author
    last year

We will do either honed or leathered. I have a friend with leathered marble and I asked her how visible her etching was and she had no idea what I was talking about. I went over to her house and there is not a visible etch on her 10-year old marble (Namib White). I guess the texture masks the etches. I'm expecting and OK with etching if we go honed, but it might be nice if we did not have to think about it at all. The slabs we bought are honed, but can be leathered. Anyone else have any info on etching with leathered marble? I did do a deep internet dive at some point, but came up with very little.

• Kendrah
    last year

I adore Danby and hope you post pics of your finished kitchen.

I have found that companies that make solid brass handles and manufacture in USA or Europe and are a bit higher end tend to have way more finish options and almost always include unlacqured polished brass. They are usually companies that are available in showrooms and not necessarily online.

• acm
    last year

I don't know from unlaquered, but Signature Hardware looks like they have some beautiful appliance pulls that wouldn't constrain your other choices too much.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio