anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - M 1/9/23

Welcome to my home week. Show me:

M - Your front door

T - Something in your home you love

W - Something in your home you're not happy with

Th - View from a kitchen window

F - View from a bedroom window

I'm including our friends from Home Deco Convo's this week as I think this is a topic they might enjoy. Of course, they're more than welcome to join us here every day at the Kitchen Table...

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (50)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

• arcy_gw
    last year

• eld6161
    last year

Right now it's Florida.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

From Christmas, and I didnt clear the leaves for the photo.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

The front door is behind the screen door

• stacey_mb
    last year

An indoor view

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

LOL, and yes that is a parking meter! I put it there to stop visitors from parking there. It works.

• Bunny
    last year

• mojomom
    last year

• jrb451
    last year

Nineteen years in this house and there wasn’t a decent picture of our front door in my photos. So, I opened the door and took one. The door is over 100 years old and was originally on an old funeral home. It’s incongruent with this modified ranch but we like it so its stayed. Notice the brass twist ringer in the lower center.

• Allison0704
    last year

Our unofficial front door.

One must enter the gate and walk along the pool to arrive at the front door.

• Bestyears
    last year

Lakehouse, since I'm just leaving.....

• Allison0704
    last year

@floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK We added an exterior letter slot piece to our first house. One I had found at an antique store. Had it not left a hole i the door, it would have moved with me.

• Tina Marie
    last year

@jrb451 GORGEOUS door!!

• porkandham
    last year

My wreath is still up.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Very cute photo @mojomom!

@User I have been on the hunt for 2 parking meters for the exact opposite reason! We have a 'parking pad' for visitors, Amazon etc and most people don't use it because they think it's a patio - a big blank patio with no furniture!? I thought parking meters might show them the purpose but now you have me re-thinking. Maybe I just need to make a sign - Park Here ---> 🙄

• User
    last year

DLM, the city near me was getting rid of all of their parking meters and put them on sale. We have a large landing area in the front of our house. I live in the middle of nowhere. There is lots of room to park but everyone insists on parking right up against the front of the house.

Hardly anyone parks there now! I’ve seen folks, even delivery drivers, stop, look and then back up to another spot. The meter still works. I empty it out once a year and I usually make around $2.50. 😁

jrb, beautiful door!

• Lars
    last year

Nighttime view

with Queen of the Night epiphyllum

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

In spring, dogwood blooming.

• Jasdip
    last year

Blah, basic front entrance door. But Gino knows where I live, which is what's important! Haha

• jakabedy
    last year

• Jasdip
    last year

Rox, you have a long long laneway, so why would unwanted visitors park in front of your place?

• User
    last year

Jasdip, my visitors are wanted.

They just don’t need to park with their car bumpers up against the flower bed.

I don’t have a summer time picture but this is spring when the snow is almost gone.

There’s a lot of space to park. Two well drilling trucks had no problem staying back and that is only one quarter of the landing area.

• Oakley
    last year

In the process of building,

Exterior

Interior, which is different now

• Sueb20
    last year

• lascatx
    last year

Mine is a solid (no glass) 6 panel painted navy blue. I'd love to have Annie's and am considering replacing our door and sidelights with the squared top version of similar double doors. No photo -- the lights and decoration removal is in progress.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I don't know if any of you have noticed but most front doors, when viewed from the outside, have hinges on the right and the handle and lock mechanisms on the left. I suspect this is for ease of use of humans who are mostly right-handed. A right-handed person can unlatch a door and push it open and walk in, when tie latch/knob/lock is on the left.

• User
    last year

I don’t think that most front doors are hinged on the right.

I would think it would all depend on what the door opens into. Obstacles and room layout would play a big part. At least that is how it is done where I live. 🤠 Builders here can do both.

My front door is hinged on the left. So are a few in this thread.

• cran
    last year

In the Spring

• Stephanie
    last year

Orange, my favorite color. The doors need to be replaced but I cant find solid wood doors in the same style of good quality.

• lascatx
    last year

Stephanie, you door and sidelights are the same as mine (also hinged on the left), just the door painted a different color. Your orange goes nicely with your brick, but my brick is a weird red.

• Stephanie
    last year

Thank you! We photoshopped so many different colors and then landed on orange. (This was before I knew about Houzz - I can imagine some of the comments from the Pro accounts!). Neighbors already have brown and sage. Then got eight samples and painted each shutter and set them out for a week to see which we liked the best and BM rich coral was the winner. I wanted it to be fresh and a pop of color but also look like it could have been here when the home was built in the 60s. the bricks are orange clay with a limewash so it complements it well.

and it hinges to the left because there is a coat closet on the right as you walk in. though another identical home in the subdivision it swings left? so i dont know if it was personal preference by that homeowner. all the others are like mine - open to the coat closet.

• ajuju
    last year

Hoping to replace these very soon!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

If a door opens to the left from the outside then it's to the right from the inside, so I'm not sure that would be the deciding factor vs. the space into which it swings.

• User
    last year

Annie, my front door when opened swings against a wall inside the house. If it swung the other way, it would swing into a stairwell.

In the summer, the stairwell would be blocked off by the open door when only the storm/screen door is closed.

Look at mirror images of homes. (Say rowhousing type) the front doors will usually alternate because of the inside floor plan.

eta Oh, Annie, I think I misunderstood what you posted. Yes, the space into which it swings would be the determining factor.

Not my photo, taken from internet

• Jasdip
    last year

The door into the bldg as shown in pic opens to the right to go up the stairs, otherwise everyone would be going downstairs.

My apartment door opens to the right yet wouldn't make any difference, it opens into the hallway. I wonder if the majority of doors opens to the right.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" If a door opens to the left from the outside then it's to the right from the inside, so I'm not sure that would be the deciding factor vs. the space into which it swings. "

Oftentimes keys are held when opening a front door. When doing so with right-side hinges, a righty needs to stand a bit to the left of the door's left edge to hold the key straight out. If there's a perpendicular wall immediately to the left of the door or otherwise no space to stand a bit to the side, that can't be done and left hinge-right side opening hardware would be easier in use. One of my kid's houses has just that arrangement, a perpendicular wall right at the edge of the door frame and so left hinges and right hardware. My two current places and ones I've owned before all had right hinge/left hardware arrangements.

By my quick count, about 2/3rds of the doors pictured, where the hardware is clearly visible, were right hinge and left hardware ones. No right or wrong way but one way seems would be more convenient for the more numerous righties.

• User
    last year

The builders of both my homes that I had built carefully considered which way every door in the house would swing (among other things) depending on the inside floor plan.

I suppose a mass builder would just put whatever doors they had in a home.

• Allison0704
    last year

All of our French door pairs (4 total) have both doors operational. The three in the living room have locks on the left. The front door has its lock on the right. Two single French doors have opposite handle mounting.

They are also hurricane doors, so they open out, and have a three point locking system. Once the doors are closed, the lever is then pulled up, which puts the system into place.

• User
    last year

Allison, I have four other doors besides the front door, to the outside. Two have left hinges. Two have right hinges.

I’ve never noticed one being more inconvenient to open than any other one.

Mind you, I haven’t used keys for a few years now and I can’t remember the last time I entered my house through the front door.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

I have 3 main doors into this house and 2 have left hinges and one a right hinge from the outside. The decision as to which way the doors swing rested on the interior space as, in our area anyway, by code, the exterior doors must swing in. For example, the deck door swings in against the wall so it's out of the way when we leave it open in the nice weather....otherwise it would swing into the middle of the room and be in the way.

Even if a perpendicular wall is near the door's edge, there should be adequate space. Exterior doors tend to be wider than interior doors. If one stood with one's body centered on the center of the door, then raising the right hand to put the key in should be at about the right location. I doubt it would be a major factor when determining door swing.

My front door has the knob separate from the lock, so it typically takes 2 hands to operate anyway....turn the key with one hand, the knob with the other.

• jmm1837
    last year

My front door. Nothing special, but it is the only accessible door (unless you climb over the neighbor's fence on the back). Left hinges, right lock. Works for us righties.

And by the way, that piece of perspex under the lock was put there because our dog would scratch the door if he wanted to come in, so it was installed to protect the paint. In the 4 years he was with us in the house before he passed away he never put a scratch in the paint, just on the plastic. We've never had the heart to remove it.

• Allison0704
    last year

Door swings should be considered during construction, but are not based on being left or right handed. Being left handed, I don't have an issue with either lock location. Our last three houses had perfect door swings, one of those was a custom home. If I had built our current home that is only 5yo, I would have done a couple of the swings differently.

@jmm1837 what a pretty color. I certainly understand not having the heart to remove the perspex.

• teeda
    last year

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" Even if a perpendicular wall is near the door's edge, there should be adequate space. "

If you look at the dark pink door in the post just below the one in which you said this, a righty would have difficulty inserting a key into a lock on the left side. That is what I was trying to explain.

• Bunny
    last year

Stephanie, I would not say orange is my favorite color, but it's really growing on me. After seeing a lovely craftsman with an orange screen door, I decided that's what my house needed, too (upthread). It gives my serious gray/white house a little giggle. I wasn't so sure I liked it at first, but I love it now. I have since gotten an orange iPad cover.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional