SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoboston

something is just “off”

JJBoston A
last year

I keep getting new things to make this room right, and something is just not right. My daughter said it looks “staged.” So true. The layout is weird. We have a TV wall mounted on the right hand wall which was the first mistake, but what a pain to move it (and where? The fireplace is so high).

I just bought the chair from Room & Board but it’s too matchy-matchy with the sofa. But the sofa alone looked uneven.

I was going to get a new sectional to just go on the one side but that didn’t seem right either.

Ideas?

Comments (124)

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Aktillery9, where did you find the black end table? It looks like one I found on Joss & Main but it’s a little pricey……

I wish there was a way to tag people or respond to comments in this forum!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

This on on Wayfair is also cute and not pricy:

• Related Discussions

sunflowers heads are being eaten

Q

Comments (2)
    Moose can easily reach 8 feet and eat your sunflower heads.
    ...See More

TRIM CATASTROPHE

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, way too many shades going on here that don't compliment. For starters, I'm definitely not a fan of the dark shade below the chair rail. If it were me, I would remove chair rail entirely and paint the whole wall the upper lighter SW shade. The chair rail isn't doing anything here except making the room visually confusing. The white trim definitely looks stark here compared to everything else. I would definitely consider painting doors and trim something much closer to cabinets and backsplash, or just a softer cream.
    ...See More

Updating Kitchen, Something Not Right

Q

Comments (106)
    You could install moulding trim on the square edge facing the sink and not wrapping it the whole depth to the family room side. Get a few scraps of moulding at Home Depot to see if you like it. They let you cut the moulding by the foot. -------------------------------------------------- In the window what are you planning to do over the Schluter trim -- tile or wood? -------------------------------------------------- A suggestion for the door and drawer hardware. Why not spray them with some oil rubbed bronze spray paint for one section and see if you like that look before you buy new. If you like it, you could spray all of them. Also think about spray painting your existing curtain rod. Rust-Oleum has two colors that might work -- Bronze Metallic OR Dark Bronze bright coat metallic.
    ...See More

something ate the leaves off of the Desert King fig tree I just plante

Q

Comments (0)
    I hope it lives. I think pack rats are coming into my yard from the adjacent national forest. They ate up my vegetables, too. My yard guy says they aren't living in my yard. They must not like parsley. They left the parsley alone.
    ...See More
  • JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks I actually just found a very similar one for a good price! I also love the idea of putting a lamp on it but it won’t work with the plug in the space.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I think that pedestal table is too skimpy next to that chair. Can you find one similar to the one in Aktillery9’ s mockup?

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I did find one just like the mock-up!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

How about this one?

• Amanda Smith
    last year

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Can’t you slide the plug of the lamp under the chair?

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

This is what I ended up getting

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

I think this is the one in the mock-up, but it’s almost twice the price

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

(Although I like it better)

• gigi4321
    last year
    last modified: last year

After seeing the new photos of your room, I have some more suggestions. I would wait until you have the furniture arrangement and main furniture decided before buying smaller items, end tables, deco, etc.

I would not do shelving on the FP wall yet. Two reasons.

1. Shelving style and material/color might change after redoing the FP/

2. If the shelves are open, they need to be filled. Unless filled with books or very cohesive deco, I think they will add unneeded clutter and cause the eye to focus down. Having doors on the bookcases would help. Check out craftsman style FP with bookcases on side. I do think it could look good.

A solid cabinet under the tv would eliminate the baskets and balance the solid sofa on the other side.

You could pull the rug toward the tv so the sofa legs are just on the rug, but, a larger rug would look better and would allow you to pull the sofa back 6"-12" toward the window.

I really like the mockup that Aktllery9 posted. Before you choose a side table and ottoman, if you agree with a solid cabinet under the tv, wait until you get that. It will determine the wood type/color/form of the table/ottoman. Also, it would look better if the tv was lower, but function over form (which I recommend for everyone except myself.) Make sure the leg design/tufting/nail head etc looks good together since they are so close to each other and the only other furniture besides sofa/chair and tv stand. Your sofa and chair are very basic so you could use some textured curvy items for interest.

The white window trim doesn't look as bad during the day, but someones suggestion of painting it the color of the wall could work well.

Again, I think a tree in a big pot or basket and lamp in other corner will help with both bringing the eye up and filling in the corners. No low plants on the ground unless they surround the tree and are perfectly chosen and placed.

Don't do any changes, especially semi permanent, just to compensate for the fireplace. It's really just a big neutral. Be ;mindful of any browns you bring in that they go well with the window frames and other orangish wood in the immediate rooms. I do like the color of the side table, and the legs, it will go with anything. I like the tufted ottoman, except the nails. It could be a bit larger, rectangle rather than square. And I would move the chair back a foot or so to the corner. A demilune shape might work better since it's in front of the tv cabinet. You could see if the side table and lamp would look better on the other side of the chair.

Avoid anything stark white. It might seem like I'm steering you away from deco items, but if you saw my living room you would know I'm the furthest from a minimalist. I'd post a photo but your eyes would never be the same again.

lastly, I would love to see how woven roman shades in a neutral brown would look on the windows.

• amykath
    last year

JJ, the one I used was way expensive! I just grabbed the photo. I went back to look from where I got it and it was 1stdibs. It was well over 1,000! CRAZY!

Aslo, if you want someont to be notified you just add @ before than name. @JJBoston A

I am glad you found that nice table! It will look great!

• liasch
    last year

Gigi makes some good points about the shelving. A craftsman style built-in was what I envisioned (like inspo photo) for shelving except that runs into dollars as it needs to be custom done. Over the counter shelving is not expensive. Yes, it would be a temporary solution..BUT sounds like the OP is going to be living with this situation for years… therefore I think it’s worth investing even if it’s not a permanent solution. Plants could go on top of the shelving giving some height in that area. The shelving would not have to be completely open, nor would it have to be cluttered.

• elcieg
    last year

I'll suggest window treatments...to the floor panels for bay window and simple Roman shades for the two on fireplace wall.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

If wanting to have a lamp on it make sure the new round end table is at least 22” wide..otherwise it is just too small and is just considered a drink table..most lamps have 18” or wider lamp shade so table should be wider than the lampshade width.

• Life Vibes
    last year

Love the fireplace. here are my two cents. I did not read all the above comments so please excuse if there is any repetition -

1. The room needs to be brigten up a bit. changing wall color to white should do the trick as framing around your window is white and appears busy with the current wall color. If painting is not an option adding white floor to celing sheer curtains (cheapest one from Ikea would work) with black curtain rod (Ikea) woukd do the job. Paint or no paint curtain will brigten the space.

2. I read that changing the rug is not an option. It is a beautiful rug. if posisble you can layer with jute or sisal rug underneath. If not posisble just ignore, it still works.

3. I would remove the two plants and would do a tall 6-7 feet plant (palm tree) on left corner. A foor lamp on the right next to Tv and chair pushed near it (already suggested I think).

4. You can do a natural wood drum coffee table in the middle. The room lacks wood elements.

5. I would remove the decorations next to the fireplace. I would add two ottomans (check Studio mcgee by target) either by the fireplace or oppsite to it.

6. Tv console in natural wood tone and black metal with legs to make room airy.

7. Remove white table or swap it with the side table next to sofa. For table for chair opt for mix metal like marble and brass. Target has some good options - Studio McGee and Hearth and hand collection.

In summary greenery, brigtness and wood elements do the trick. I know adding up all can get expensive but you can pick your pace.

Good luck!

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Just wanted to pop in and say that I love your fireplace tile. I think it's honed ostrich grey quartzite - same as I installed in the foyer of my previous home. Really durable and gorgeous in person. I also really like your rug and I think your layout choice is a good one.

To my eye, the small photos on the mantle are creating clutter in such a short space. I would remove them. I think either a single art piece or something like @amykath mocked up would work better. You could try putting some of the framed photos on the console under the TV and see if that's too crowded. I think there's a little more space there and when the TV is off, it's not so "noisy".

I also think something more open would work better for a coffee table than the current ottoman. The one you have now isn't working well color wise either. I'd suggest something with a glass top. Here are a couple of ideas.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone!!! Such great food for thought. I JUST spent $175 on the plants and they’re beautiful in person so those are going to have to stay, maybe I’ll put one of them on a plant stand. I do also like the idea of a glass or wood top coffee table but this is our functional family room. My husband and kids put their feet up on that ottoman all the time. The color is off though and it’s also a little worn. I bought this instead and we will see how it does once it arrives.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

This is the one I got

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is plant stand you might like. Ottoman is great!

• gigi4321
    last year

JJBoston,

Even though I would have waited until you have a firm plan for everything, I think that table will work well, especially because it is not solid, and the color will balance the wood features of your home. Get a paint fan deck out and choose another color for pillows etc. Unless you are going to paint the walls, avoid bright primary colors. Look for more muted fall colors, maybe blues or greens. I really just want to come over with a sledge hammer and go to town on your fireplace. If you ever think of dyi, you could isolate the area with plastic and dump the rubbish through the window. I'm enjoying seeing your progress!

• Jilly
    last year

This room needs some warmth and pizzaz. Layer a rug with colors that relate to your warm woods (windows, etc). Add colorful, textured pillows.

Kilim patterns go well with just about anything.

The warms and cools match Kitty. :D

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Ooh love that @jinx

• amykath
    last year

Thanks @Jilly

• liasch
    last year

Ahhh…Jinx has it… adding more contrast in other parts of the room balances out the fireplace. Love that inspiration photo that she did up for you!

• liasch
    last year

Love those pillows!

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

@Jinx where are the pillows from?

• amykath
    last year

I have this pillow and it so nice and thich, great qualithy and big.

Large Kilim 14X36 Pillow

Here is a photo of it on my balcony.

• Jilly
    last year

Amy, your balcony is a dream! I’d be out there all the time. :)

• amykath
    last year

Thanks Jinx!! I do spend a lot of time out there now that it is not 105!

• lisaam
    last year

Yes, the trellis wall turned out great and the lamp looks so sweet there.

The kilim pillow are an excellent touch in JJ’s living room. I think that the pillow covers that are sold with couches should be ditched immediately; they are typically so hotel bland. A toss pillow is like a silk scarf; an unuxpected color mix can work beautifully.

• liasch
    last year

Pillows were sold at Potteryb arn. No longer available. At least that’s what came up when I googled the photograph.

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

The pillow arrived today and things are really looking up! I adore the pillow! Now I need to find two others that are 20x20 to coordinate

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Updated

• Jilly
    last year

Love the pillow, JJ! Looks great! So glad you like it. :)

Ottoman is nice, too!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I would add an end table next to the chair for balance and an interesting mirror on the mantel.

• amykath
    last year

I love the ottoman and the pillow! Nice job.

• liasch
    last year

Coming along! I agree, mirror over mantle. Love the ottoman!

• lisaam
    last year

The ottoman and pillows are doing a great job of pulling things together, especially the windows

• liasch
    last year

Agree… bringing some of that caramel colour (with the ottoman and pillows ) into the room is a big boost to the windows. May be a bit of black, someplace…would do the same thing for integrating the fireplace as someone else mentioned earlier on.

• liasch
    last year

Actually, I can see some black has been integrated… It would be nice to have a pull back shot of the room now with everything new in place.

• Waynette Bailey
    last year

Besides the fireplace, everything else is the same value. An abundance of midtones with no lights and darks. IMO

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

@waynette Bailey I don’t know what that means

• JJBoston A
    Original Author
    last year

Updated photos. I still need art for the other wall, a side table, and a mirror for above the mantle. I’m also thinking of replacing 2 of the pillows on the couch with 20x20 pillows (keeping the one with mustard in it)

• ffpalms
    last year

This mirror is similar to the one Flo posted several days ago, but a bit wider. I think it’s a wonderful size and shape for your room.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I love your pillows.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

And the dog seems happy. Lol