SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

When neighbors become family…..

Many of you know the story of the Sprites and their caregiver grandfather, our neighbor. Several years ago, these two little girls wheedled their way into our lives and hearts…..long story, but we are now a community of five, with all of the legal rights required to raise two girls.

Our across the street neighbors, a young professional couple, have become good friends….we help each other out. He took my husband to the surgery center recently, stayed with him, and brought him home to me, just for example. Her mother comes to stay with their blind and deaf dog whenever they have to go out of town and we sort of keep an eyeball on the mother when she’s here. Not that she needs it but appreciates that we are watching out for her.

Another much loved neighbor has recently contracted kidney cancer. Her adult children are near and are a huge support, and we add our support to theirs. Healthful foods, good company, joy rides to the country, a bit of wine over our backyard fire. In the past, her son took over our lawn care when my husband had his hip replacement. He came to my husband for comfort when his Dad died.

Our other next door neighbor, a young bachelor, was jilted by his fiancee not long ago and was grief stricken. The Sprites were heartbroken for him and smothered him with cookies and pies and handdrawn artwork, until he was all smiles again. I expect that there was some bad mouthing of the ex involved when they went to visit.

All of this came to mind when the recipe of the white chicken chile was posted. My very first thought was that it would be a welcomed treat for these family members, my neighbors.

Comments (15)