SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iqbal_zaveri

Help in deciding Master bedroom entrance

iqz
last year

Hello all,

Please see the attached 2 plans where we are not able to decide the entrance for the master bedroom.

In Plan 1 we are thinking to add the entrance from the Kitchen nook. I am not sure if that is a good design decision. But it does save some space and makes the kitchen bigger.

Plan 2 has a hallway to the bedroom but I think it takes away some space and makes the kitchen smaller also making the pantry a bit away from kitchen.

Or do you think there could be another better option?

Need your expert advice and help here!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Start over. Is this a new build? You are building you won't use it space. How far do you plan to traipse to that isolated dining area and around a stair? No.......start over. No matter build or remodel.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I totally agree back to the drawing board completely . Neither of those are right at all. The whole house makes no sense . Please get an architect or at the very least a good interior designer this is a mess.

• Related Discussions

Moving entrance to Master Bedroom help

Q

Comments (2)
    I took a bunch of measurements last night so I am trying to do draw that out now. Not my strong point. Good thing architects are coming out soon.
    ...See More

Master bedroom help .. Please help me select bed .. can’t decide !

Q

Comments (51)
    I'm not a fan of any of those options...for various reasons. Mostly because the style/scale as well as the tone doesn't look like it would compliment the bed.....although without links hard to know. The Bernhardt nightstands in your pic from Haverty's are 40 W x30 H x21 D. That is why they don't look dwarfed by the bed. Do you have room to do something like the pic Penny posted? Basically a simple open rectangle with a sturdy leg? Another thing I'd consider is taking a look at kids' dressers/desks. Some are even similar in size and shape to the Bernhardt nightstands.... https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/smiling-hill-4-drawer-dresser-sta6494.html?piid=17238112  Another approach would be multi-tiered side tables, not these exact ones obviously, but again something with enough heft and presence to play nicely with that bed.
    ...See More

Help deciding on nightstands for Master bedroom.

Q

Comments (19)
    I have decided that I like the contrast of the darker wood against the light colored upholstered bed. Please take a vote and tell me which one you like. 1- 2- 3- 1- Bassett 2- Bernhardt 3- Crate and Barrel
    ...See More

Master bedroom entry help???

Q

Comments (15)
    Have you verified if you can move the toilet all the way to the back far corner of house? Typically, the depth of the sanitary tie-in that the toilet has to meet up somewhere will determine how far away the toilet can be from that tie-in. And looking at the beam I mentioned earlier, a truss girder may be able to happen, but not sure about whether you would have to remove the existing portico roof (and whether its vaulted or not) and reframe the whole thing from trusses. Just something to mention to the architect to verify as that could potentially be a thorn in your side later.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Do what Jan said by finding a local architect to design a home with you that will meet your needs and fit your site. The plans you show have too many inefficiencies to list.

• iqz
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for taking the time and responding. I appreciate if you can point some of the inefficiencies that you mentioned I agree working with a local architect is the best thing to do and we are in the process of doing that, but wanted to come up with something upfront to present it to the architect, but right now, my question is, Is the door from the kitchen nook, a viable option or not?

• iqz
    Original Author
    last year

If it helps, we are custom building and have a big family.

• cpartist
    last year

I post this all the time. Anything in bold is what is not working in what you drew up.

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling

The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped.

The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case.

The best houses make sure kitchens have natural light, meaning windows so one doesn't have to have lighting 24/7 to use the kitchen. (And no, dining areas with windows 10' or more from the kitchen will not allow for natural light.)

The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls.

The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls

The best houses do not have diagonal interior walls making for odd spaces.

The best houses keep public and private spaces separate.

The best houses do not have you walk through the work zone of the kitchen to bring laundry to the laundry room. (I bolded this because you want everyone to walk through your bedroom to get to the laundry? That's even worse than going through the kitchen.)

The best houses do not have the mudroom go through any of the work zones of the kitchen.

The best houses do not use the kitchen as a hallway to any other rooms. (I bolded this because while it's not going through the kitchen, it is going right through your dining room. And btw, your dining room is too far from the kitchen!)

The best houses do not put toilets or toilet rooms up against bedroom walls or dining areas.

The best houses do not have walk in closets too small to stand inside. (Like the pantry)

The best houses have separation, such as closets, between bedrooms and between bedrooms and public rooms.

The best houses do not have roofs that are overly large, and dominate the exterior of the house.

The best houses do not have stick on exterior materials only on the front façade.

The best houses have an organizing “spine” so it’s easy to determine how to get from room to room in the house and what makes sense. Meaning they don’t have meandering circulation paths.

• chispa
    last year

Do you own the lot or what type/size of lot do you anticipate being able to buy in your area and budget?

Your design would be the type you might find in a tight suburban planned community. It is also what is described as a "fat" house, because it is 4-5 rooms deep and 4 rooms wide, so that the interior of the house will be far from any windows and get no meaningful natural light.

• bpath
    last year

If all you sre interested in is the bedroom entrance, what about this?

I don’t think coming out of yiur bedroom past the laundry and mudroom is any worse than coming out into the kitchen, either way it’s like the servant’s quarters location. But it’s a little more private.

If you take any of your p,ans to the architect, you are effectively telling them ”I want all the bedrooms to open off the living areas for minimal privacy, and I like hallways for hanging family photos on, but not actual art since it’s hard to look at art in a hall. I don’t mind seeing the bathtub from the kitchen. And yes, we are skinny so narrow hall for jackets and backpacks and for pantry is fine, we can squeeze past.”

Perhaps you’d rather tell your architect what activities your family enjoys, what needs they have for work and school, whether you do your own yardwork or ride bikes and need appropriate garage space, if you entertain, how you handle meal preparation, etc. Show them your site so they can incorporate light, views, privacy, landform.

• bpath
    last year

if all you are interested in is the bedroom entrance, consider this:

And then, throw all the plans in the wastebasket, get a nice legal pad and a pen, and write down your hopes and dreams for your family, how you live, what you all like to do, whether you do yiur own yardwork and ride bikes and need appropriate garage space, how you shop and cook, how you work and study. Take THAT to your architect.

This plan tells your architect ”we want all bedrooms directly off the living spaces for minimal privacy, we are moles who like tunnels, and we are skinny ones at that so we can manage standing in 18” of space to look for food in the pantry and to squeeze past our family members and their jackets and backpacks hanging on the wall in the mudroom”.

• lharpie
    last year

I avoided purchasing any house like this with all the bedrooms off the common area (not uncommon near me). very grateful when we had a baby that would wake up at the drop of a pin later! everyone is going to hear everything in this house so ya’ll had all better be perfectly sound sleepers! no windows in kitchen and diningroom is a hard no in my book as well. let the architect do there job.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"Is the door from the kitchen nook, a viable option or not? Nothing about your plan is "viable" . Not one thing.

Not the point! When you start fresh , your plan will look NOTHING as it does now.

Build a darn two story house. Roof line costs money. There's too little sq footage to support all the bedrooms on the first floor.

Start with THE ARCHITECT at the site. Begin with must have, then nice to have, then gee........sure would be nice but can definitely live without.

No more than a ten foot ceiling first floor and drop to nine in kitchen and secondary rooms Do nine EVERYWHERE unless you are prepared for the taller things like doors and windows Header is hardly gorgeous.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last year

Everyone is right, start over. But to answer your narrow question, in no universe would I want my master bedroom to open off the kitchen nook.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Or do you think there could be another better option?

- The first option requires you to walk around the table.

- The second option creates a long dark hallway, which will be unpleasant and diifficult to maneuver with large furniture.

If forced to choose between these two, I'd go with the second one ... but move the suite's door to where you currently have a cased opening. Then adjust the bathroom and the closet so they open into the hallway; this means you won't have light spill coming from the bathroom into the bedroom, and you won't have one spouse waking the other going into the bathroom at night. Finally, I'd open two doors into the laundry ... one into the master suite hallway /one into the mudroom. Oh, the real final comment on this set-up: I'd add an exterior door for furniture movement and fire safety; the master is far from any exterior door. But this is kinda lipstick on a pig.

I appreciate if you can point some of the inefficiencies

- You've created a square house, which is a highly efficient choice -- but it's only efficient for a small house ... like a four-square. When you force in lots of rooms, efficiency flies out the window. You either need to add a second floor /move the secondary bedrooms upstairs OR go with a rectangle or an "L".

- In this case, you've pushed the bedrooms (where you'll be asleep) to the exterior, and you've given them all the natural light -- and you've squeezed your public spaces, where you'll spend your waking hours, in to the middle, where they will be dark and uninviting. The dining room is the worst, but the other rooms aren't great in terms of lighting.

- The master and Bedrooms 1 and 3 can /should have windows on two walls.

- You've allowed this attempt at a square house to push your dimensions to uncomfortable proportions. For example, your family room will be narrow, and your mudroom is the width of an average hallway -- not wide enough to include a closet or other needs, barely enough room for coat hooks.

- Your dining room is too far from the kitchen for convenience. When a dining room requires too many steps to put a meal on the table /clean up afterward, that dining room never gets used.

- Note that you'll have to walk around the dining room table each time you enter the house from the garage.

- You've designed a dining room, a breakfast nook, and an island wide enough for seating -- and probably outdoor seating as well. How many dining areas do you need?

- The pantry is too far from the kitchen and badly proportioned.

- The bathrooms are all a mess -- poorly proportioned, no concept of grouping water walls together for economy /function. For example, in the bathroom your guests will use, a person sitting on the toilet will have a lovely view of himself or herself in the bathroom vanity mirror. You've duplicated sinks in places where that means no drawer storage -- and drawer storage at the sink is important. You've put the master toilet into a 4'11" closet -- you'll be knocking your knees against the wall.

- The closets seem to be after-thoughts /do not reflect the sizes of real clothes.

- You have no coat closet. Even if you live in a warm climate, you need a spot to store out-of-season coats. The kids' closets don't seem to be large enough to absorb coats.

- Several door swings impede other door swings. At least one door swing is backwards.

- Laundry rooms are best on an exterior wall, where the dryer can vent directly to the outside. This is cheaper to build and more fire-safe. A good laundry room requires space for storage and "waiting loads".

- What works best for most people is one large living area where everyone can gather -- plus a second living area that can be closed off for visual and acoustical privacy. You have two living spaces, which are open to one another -- so a group watching a football game will have to hear the middle schooler practicing his trumpet in the other room (and vice-versa).

- I'd like to see a linen closet and a broom closet. If you don't plan for these spaces, your stuff will end up cluttering other areas of your house.

- I'd like to see a bay window in the breakfast nook.

- Do you have a door into the back yard? Will furniture placement prevent accessing this door?

To be fair, positives:

- Good sight light upon entering the house.

- Covered spot for your guests to wait while you answer the door.

- That's all I can see.

Your design would be the type you might find in a tight suburban planned community. It is also what is described as a "fat" house, because it is 4-5 rooms deep and 4 rooms wide, so that the interior of the house will be far from any windows and get no meaningful natural light.

Yes, this is a major problem.
    I don’t think coming out of yiur bedroom past the laundry and mudroom is any worse than coming out into the kitchen, either way it’s like the servant’s quarters location.

This doesn't bother me in the last /doesn't feel like servant's quarters.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Guest bedroom entrances are best located off a kitchen. Be sure the guest(s) know what time you expect breakfast and how you want your eggs prepared before they turn in each night.

• iqz
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for your comments!