SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_187866520

What I've Learned From Public Gardens on You.Tube

I've spent a pleasant few days visiting public gardens, most of them in England, both for the enjoyment of seeing many roses in many different situations, but after a while also paying attention to how the roses were grown and displayed. Since I'm starting a brand new garden of my own, the gods and the ground squirrels willing, I'm paying attention to how what I've seen and admired in public gardens can be translated to my at this point very modest little plot.

I have to say that for me variety is the spice of life. The gardens that had the most diversity in color, size, plant habit and height were the most enchanting to me. Rows of roses, such as I saw in one or two sections of the David Austin rose garden in England, did not move me in the least, and this was especially true where there was little color variation. Other parts of the garden that featured pergolas with climbing roses and ramblers, and roses that were old varieties rather than their home brand, which had a much greater variation in bloom and plant size, were the most pleasing to me.

The roses I've planted or ordered include pinks, purples, white and yellows so I seem to be pretty well covered in the color department, except for red roses which I don't care for. I have one climber (Lamarque) and one very tall rose (Aloha) and the remainder range from short to medium tall, which hopefully will provide the diversity in height that I want. Flower size also ranges from small (Aunt Margy's Rose, Lauren, International Herald Tribune) to quite large (Aloha). I'd love to also have companion plants again but those were the first thing to be eaten by the ground squirrels in my previous garden, before they went on to the roses.

Since others' garden are almost as interesting to me as my own I'd love to hear how you've arranged your gardens and what criteria were most important to you in your designs. Photographs are of course most welcome!

Comments (6)