SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todd_gregory30

Looking for ideas for bathroom renovation layout

last year

Well, we are officially starting to plan our main bathroom renovation. The bathroom is a fairly long rectangle, 129"L x 80"W. It has an unnecessarily long vanity. Right now it is just my wife and I, and hopefully a couple of kids soonish. We do not have any need or want for two sinks. I plan to do most or all of the work myself, so I am not concerned about extra plumbing and electrical work by changing the layout. I plan to take this bathroom down to studs to begin.

Things that we would like:

-Want to still keep the vanity a decent size, like 42 or 48"

-Want to explore the possibility of a separate stand up shower stall (neo-angle?) and tub, but if it doesn't work that's ok too

-Want to get rid of the big closet to make it more airy and allow more light into the entire bathroom- side note: I'm not sure how much of a problem the window will be for moving things around (the shower).

So, we are just trying to brainstorm possibilities for layouts. The entry door to the bathroom cannot move at all, but it could be swung from either side, or even swing out to save space? That's another thing I'm not sure of, if it is "ok" to have the bathroom door swing out.

Here is my feeble attempt to draw the current bathroom in AutoCAD, it's not perfect. The bathroom is off of a long corridor leading to the bedrooms.

I've also thrown together a couple off options off the cuff (#1 and #2) and am looking for input on what may or may not work.

As a general note, I would plan to make the bathroom nice; but please keep in mind that this is an average 1300 sq. ft home, not a million dollar home that shows up in most of the inspiration photos on Houzz. So we do not need a huge soaking clawfoot tub :) The main reason for a tub is for kids.

Also I should mention that it is very likely I will add infloor electrical heat under tile so that I can eliminate the radiant baseboard heat from the bathroom.

Comments (28)