SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhoedl

Waterproofing wet room/shower floor

hhoedl
last year

Greetings, We are renovating our prewar apartment in NYC and are converting our half bathroom into a wet room (wall-hung toilet and sink, and a shower, all in one room). We are creating the wet room to ensure that we can easily access a shower when we are older and have less mobility to step into the tub/shower combo. The entire floor in the wet room has to be super watertight and graded.

My questions re the floor are:

1) Is a lead pan required by NYC code? I read that other materials, such as PVC or Laticrete, are much better. I also read that there are new style drains for tile shower floors and shower pans that do not require a pre-slope and traditional 40 mil pvc pan liner. Instead, they incorporate a “bonding flange.

2) We are told by the contractor that he would put 3" of concrete, followed by a flat lead pan (with 6" going up on the sides) or PVC and then several inches of concrete (graded) and then tiles. However, I read that it is the waterproofing layer that has to be sloped to avoid water accumulation on a flat surface since tiles/grout and cement are not waterproof.

3) Would it be possible to already slope the first layer of concrete, then put the waterproofing (lead pan or other) on the sloped surface and then add the concrete? From my reading, it may be difficult to put a lead pan on a sloped surface?

4) We want to make sure that the proper steps are taken so to avoid further mistakes. We are going to speak directly to the plumber but I wanted to put this out to see if anyone can help us to get more clarity. We appreciate the help. Thank you!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus