SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
cschroeder87

Master bathroom remodel help

Hi, I would love space planning feedback/suggestions on the attached options for a new bathroom 13' x 9'6" (formerly unused office space). I like both options but am concerned things are tight on the toilet/bath/shower wall. I also prefer a drop in tub with the deck extending into the shower but don't see how that's possible with the space. Any advice or feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month
    last modified: last month

I think the first option is better because the shower door will open into the bath entrance rather than into the vanity. Make sure your window sill is higher than 36" so it won't interfere with the vanity. If you can do a pocket door on the entry door vs. a swing door, that will create less conflict between the entry door and the shower door.

P.S. You have enough room for a freestanding tub. I think they look nicer than undermount tubs.

• Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you so much Sabrina! I love freestanding tubs, I didn't think there was enough room. This is great news! The window is 33" from the floor so I was hoping that would be ok. The vanity would not interfere with any hardware. Do you think for 3" I should reduce the length of the vanity and put a small table there for a plant or something?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last month

Can you re-frame the window to raise it higher? You really don't want an empty space in that corner that will be awkward to clean. I just put a freestanding tub from Kohler in my own bathroom that's 65" long, so you've got plenty of space.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

You do not have space for a FS tub no matter what Sabrina says unless you completely rethink the design. You could do a FS tub under the widow maybe but it would still need 12" all the way around min. for cleaning and IMO FS tubs are best in huge bathrooms and IMO even then a PITA to get in and out of. My advice go test them out before buying one. 45" is not enough space for a FS tub where you have the tub now . in theplan. It is not the length you have min. walk space as it is right now

Connie Schroeder thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Karenseb
    last month

Can you move the entry door to the middle of the left wall?

• elcieg
    last month

What if you combine the shower and the tub?

You didn't ask, but are two sinks necessary? I love sweet hubby, but I don't want him brushing his teeth when I am putting on makeup.

Have you tried the arrangement with just one sink?

Connie Schroeder thanked elcieg
  • Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you for the idea but I would really like to keep the tub separate if possible. It will hardly be used but I want to have one as it will be the only tub in the home. And yes 2 sinks are preferable for our needs right now.

• Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

Karenseb, I can't move the entry unfortunately.

• 3onthetree
    last month

Sometimes to accomplish something even small you have to rethink the entirety and expand the scene. So to get a longer shower for your bench, and remove the shower or tub from the Master sightline down the hall, you might need to utilize what is next to the bathroom.

Connie Schroeder thanked 3onthetree
  • Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

I agree just not sure how to go about it. There is a closet sharing the left wall (current vanity wall), which could be changed. It's already fairly small and has a window in it.

The right wall - tub/shower wall cannot be modified there is a fireplace on the opposite side.

• Jennifer K
    last month

To enjoy a freestanding tub, you need

• space for the tub
    • space around the tub so you can clean it (at least 1' on all sides
    • space to stand back and admire the sculptural nature of the tub

To my eye, I think you only have one of those unless you chose something with a very small footprint, like a Japanese soaking tub.

2'8" is enough space for a toilet cubby. But I'd use a half wall between it and the tub rather than a full height wall. It will make the space feel larger.

Since the tub will "hardly be used", is it essentially for resale? If that's the case, rough in the plumbing for it, but skip the tub and give yourself the bathroom you deserve instead of the bathroom you think some future buyer will like.

Connie Schroeder thanked Jennifer K
  • Jennifer K
    last month

An alternative layout you might consider

• no issue with window height
    • less toilet privacy
    • may need a slightly narrower tub to accommodate shower door swing. But the tub I put in is huge and it allows a 32" shower door.

• Karenseb
    last month

Building on Jennifer's idea.

Trade the toilet and tub (free standing)

Make the shower 3 X 5 feet (3 feet on the window wall and 5 feet on the vanity wall. Shorten your vanity.

Or you could do the toilet in that upper left corner with a 7 foot vanity next to it.

You could the put in a built in tub with and 5 foot long shower next to it.

You might have to put the shower across from the entry to avoid plumbing on an outside wall for the shower.

Connie Schroeder thanked Karenseb
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last month

Jennifer's plan is a good idea. If the shower were increased to 5'-0" the vanity would still be 8'-0" long, more than enough. And you would be seeing the vanity from the doorway, not directly into the shower. Plus you expressed a preference for a tub with a deck (not free standing), and her plan provides this. The deck of the tub could also be extended along the window wall toward the shower, something else you say you wanted.

Connie Schroeder thanked RappArchitecture
  • frisky
    last month

I would suggest swapping the shower and toilet in Jennifer’s plan. With glass walls, this allows more light to flow.

Connie Schroeder thanked frisky
  • Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

I can't thank everyone enough for all the input! I tried to incorporate these fantastic suggestions and the 2 layouts are what I came up with. On the tub/toilet wall (left wall) I just want to make sure the spacing is okay. The shower door would clear but the tub is fairly close (appr 8" from wall). Regarding the other option, vanity and toilet on left wall, I never thought it was awkward to see the shower from the master before a I read a comment about it above. I somehow feel like I'd rather be enclosed in a shower (even though it's transparent glass) than completely exposed, almost vulnerable in a tub. Plus, I think a well appointed shower is attractive, please correct me if I'm wrong. Again, I cannot thank everyone enough for taking the time to help me already.

• frisky
    last month

My vote is for top layout. If it’s awkward seeing the shower, add a door to the bathroom.

I always feel it’s awkward having toilet next to freestanding tub. Somehow doesn’t feel hygienic, especially with males with bad aim in the house.

The top layout would also give you a bigger shower. So nice! And easily accessible wall space for towels.

• Ying Wang
    last month

Definitely the top layout. In the second layout, 2'10" space between the tub and the shower is too little. In addition, in the top layout, if you like the idea of a tub deck extended to shower as a bench, you can easily do it.

Connie Schroeder thanked Ying Wang
  • 3onthetree
    last month

Sometimes design problems can be solved with blinders on. Most times though, it is best to understand a much larger picture. A couple points here:

- Typically, a toilet location is restricted on where it can be placed to route plumbing. Tub/shower and vanity have a little more flexibility.

- A new bathroom capturing an existing Office is a large expense and undertaking. For most people, it would behoove them to address other tangential issues which may or may not change the primary intent of the project, but could help or provide opportunity for that intent or separately just make a better overall house. In this case, the open view down a hall to a shower, the restrictive placement of the door entering the bedroom, and the door and layout of the closet with respect to the window.

• Karenseb
    last month

I like your first layout, but I would probaby do a 42 inch wide shower, unless you add room from the closet like you did in the second layout.

Then you could do the shower with the tub attached.

• Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

Great idea, Karen! Thanks so much

• Connie Schroeder
    Original Author
    last month

You couldn’t be more correct 3ontree. We planned to combine 2 rooms and an existing bath when we purchased and my husband is ready to move on it. He decided the basement buildout will begin this January that‘s why i quickly turned to Houzz for advice as I need to finalize plumbing while they have the basement ceiling exposed and the space gutted for the future bath/closet. Thank you again!