SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_138770686

Kitchen floorplan critique

Art Fou
last year

Hi community,

I'm a month or so out from getting keys to a new home and, wanting to renovate the kitchen, I wonder if there's a different layout relative to the "obvious" one.

Here's the original kitchen layout:

and some photos of the space as it is now:

Feels a bit cramped to me (even after removing the pseudo-breakfast bar, it's not doing any favours to me at the moment), and here's what I came up with as an alternative (using a popular UK kitchen supplier website ;), a bit of polishing to do, but...)

and the cheap render:

I like to cook and have 2 young children in the house, the idea is to have the hob island (induction) in that position to give me some visibility of what's happening, view of the garden (north of this position, through the conservatory), rather than the original one, where you're always having to look over your shoulder and staring at a wall while you cook.

It has perhaps a bit less storage space, but I like the feel of it (perhaps having the island where it is will be a bit too close to the wall, but hey there's elbow room; plan is to have a suspended extractor). I'm planning the fridge in the south-east corner of the kitchen, which admittedly causes a "flow" issue, if you just want to grab something from the fridge.

As much as I'd like inbuilt oven and microwave at elbow/eye height, rather than under the hob, it may not be possible in such a small kitchen (also, I'm concerned how hot appliances would like the storage of food in the zones adjacent to them).

Soooo, what are your thoughts when you look at a layout like this? Thanks for inputs (or just destructive criticism :D )

Comments (22)