SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terri23_gw

Critique of Kitchen Floorplan/Cost-Cutting Suggestions

terri23
14 years ago

I would appreciate advice on our preliminary kitchen design.

This is for a new build. The kitchen is 25x14. There is also an adjoining pantry/laundry with total dimension of 25x6. We're not sure how to configure this area: whether to have it all one big room, or separate it into two rooms with a hall in the middle. It is sandwiched between the kitchen and the garage. We do have two cats and a dog, so it would be nice to have a spot for kitty litter and cat food that the dog couldn't get into, maybe a dutch door or door with small cat door in it.

The ceilings are 9 foot. The kitchen is open to the dining room which adjoins the family room and has cathedral ceilings. There are french doors to a screen porch, which could be changed to a single door.

This is a "forever" home for DH and myself, so would like to "age-in-place" and have it be as accomodating as possible. For this reason, we'd like the dishes stored at a lower level. DH likes cupboards with doors and sliding shelves. I like drawers. Since there is a large walk-in pantry, we don't need as many cupboards but the KD put them in anyway. We need to cut costs, so thought we could cut out some of them. For example, by replacing the full-size cupboard with a desk. Also, we're considering replacing the island with some sort of large table with a separate chopping block at the end.

DH is the primary cook with me as sous chef and cleaning up after him. Also I like to bake. We live alone, but have family dinners with grown children, their spouses and infant grandchildren. We like to set food out buffet style and eat in the dining room. We'd like to have space for family to keep us company whle we cook, while staying out of the way.

For appliances, we'd like a 48" Wolf range (if we can fit it in the budget.) Also the Frigidaire "twins", a single wall oven, microwave on shelf (not built-in, not down low), two full-size dishwashers(not drawers), two full-size sinks (plan shows dbl bowl, but I like single bowl, farmstyle apron sink, each with a garbage disposal.)

We need to cut costs, and right now the plan calls for granite countertops and Diamond cupboards upgraded to plywood boxes, full-extension self-closing drawers.

There is some flexibility in regard to door and window size and location.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. We've waited a long time to build this house and the kitchen is the most important room for us. Thank you so much!

Comments (7)