SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Floorplan critique and other advice, please?

homeagain
13 years ago

We have recently listed our current home on the market and plan to build once this one sells. We found an online plan that we love the front elevation of (mostly) and the interior is workable for us, meaning it has the correct number of rooms in the right location. Using the front elevation to determine the footprint, I played around with drawing my own plan using this one as a guide. The original is linked below. The exterior is photoshopped and the floor plan is drawn using excel. A square is 2 square ft. There are no interior doors in my version. I contacted the plan designer and asked the cost of modifying the plan to my version. My builder can also draw the plan as he has a CAD program and often designs his own homes. The designer's cost for a new plan is 5 times the cost my builder will charge. My biggest concern with having the builder draw the plan is that I may lose a lot of the details that this designer is "famous" for.

One of the builders suggestions was that I could cut costs if I eliminated some corners. I had already eliminated quite a few from the original plan but, playing around with my drawing I came up with a second version, also below.

So in addition to thoughts on these two plans, I would also appreciate your thoughts on whether having the builder design the home is a bad idea?

Here is the first version...I'm only showing the first floor. There is also a second floor which will have it's own laundry room and an unfinished walkout basement.

and the second. There seems to be a lot of wasted space between the breakfast area and the mudroom in this one that I don't know what to do with. Oh and the study is just a study not a bedroom also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Plan

Comments (6)