SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dphouston

Can't get enough heat downstairs

dphouston
last year
last modified: last year

My living room ceiling has a cutout where it goes up to the top floor. Unfortunately the only heating vent for the living room is in the side of the cutout, and so the hot air mostly just goes up -- and the thermostat is upstairs just a few feet down the hall from the cutout. (The photo is taken from the floor of the living room pointed up.)

On colder days this makes the downstairs 12-13 degrees colder than the upstairs. Thankfully I live in Texas so this is only an issue for a few months of the year (the AC spreads out just fine).

I can use the fan on the furnace to mix the house's air even when it's not heating, but it's not very efficient at doing that. I'm thinking of installing a ceiling fan from the top of the cutout to try to get the hot air down a little better. Does that seem like it could work, and if so, would you recommend having the fan at the very top, or having a long downrod so that it sits right above where the vent is? (I should mention that there is an open stairwell to the right of the railing in the photo, so air can come down that way as well if the ceiling fan is up high.)

Thanks!

Comments (26)