SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

My Eyes don't have it!

Funkyart
last year
last modified: last year

I have always been very protective of my eyes-- they are small and sensitive and watery (I am missing a bone in my nose which allows air and moisture through to my tear duct) and so I never really did much to adorn them. I will sometimes wear a neutral color eye shadow on them (typically cream vs powder) and sometimes an eye liner like Laura Mercier Caviar sticks. I rarely wear my mascaras or gel liners. I need to to up my game. The older I get the more bland my eyes look -- so I am thinking I would look younger and brighter if I give my eyes a boost.

What low maintenance products do you wear that have a big impact? I am curious to see what others do and recommend -- but full disclosure because I AM so protective of my eyes, I will likely only try products that are not likely to cause irritation ... and because of my vision issues, nothing that requires all that much precision.

Comments (62)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@User the thought of tinting my eyelashes skeeves me a little but not so much as the other options. I think I could get past it-- I'll consult my salon. I am going to try smudging a taupe liner-- when I did wear gel liners, my favorites were taupe, bronze and platinum.

• Tina Marie
    last year

FWIW, my eye make-up is pretty neutral looking, even though I wear shadow, liner and mascara. I like to play my eyes up. : ) My eyes and lashes/brows are very dark, so darker liners and black mascara looks best on me. My lashes are long enough/full enough but kind of thin (individual lashes); mascara makes them look fuller. I think liner/crayon will make a big difference in your eyes Funky!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • Related Discussions

I don't believe my eyes!

Q

Comments (5)
    You shouldn't have to worry about any of them nesting for a while. The House Wrens may still migrate further south, and you may end up with Bluebirds for the winter, which is loads of fun. Do you have anything to feed them like suet or mealworms? I guess what I'd do in the spring is put up more housing for the Bluebirds, and move the one the HOWR know the location of. You could also leave it up and if the HOWR come back to claim it, just keep removing the sticks to discourage them. Have you been to the sialis web site? If not, I'd strongly encourage you to do so. They have tons of information like how far apart to space the boxes, what kind of guards to use, etc. Good luck getting Bluebirds to nest there in the spring. Here is a link that might be useful: Sialis site
    ...See More

Eyes Don't Lie

Q

Comments (28)
    My problem is I almost always like everyone on first meeting. I mean if someone has a snarl on their face or doesn't say hi back then I get a bad impression, but generally I do have to get to know a person before I can really judge what they are like. I don't think you can tell a whole lot from any physical feature... including the eyes. Some of the slyest individuals I know have been the most charming. And, by charming, I don't mean the fake salesman type smile and eyes... I mean the innocent type of eyes and smile an old grandma may have. Now, I have never met a murderer, at least that I know of, so maybe that would change if I met one. I do get a kind of we're on the same "wave length" (and speak the same language) kind of impression from some people when I first meet them. But I still can't always really judge if they are really bad or good people just that we may laugh at the same type of jokes or are on the same intellectual level, etc....
    ...See More

Don't you eat with your eyes first? Bad food photos (not cf)

Q

Comments (11)
    I got dizzy looking at the pictures that were taken from directly above. The cranberry sauce looks better because it is shown in perspective, as one might really see it. The main problem with the pictures is the camera angle - not sophisticated at all! Even the turkey, which is somewhat better, is shown straight on instead of from an angle. She obviously didn't take very many shots, or else she would have had something better to choose. Many of the photographers were are much better, including Ann and Diana. I've done professional product photography myself (for furniture), but Ann's food photos are better than mine. Lars
    ...See More

My old Boxer having siezures - I don't know what to do

Q

Comments (46)
    I have an 8 year old Boxer, Millie, that had her first seizure just over a year ago. It was long and violent and tortuous to watch lasting well over 3 minutes. I immediately took her to the vet and he started her on Phenobarbital and Valium. She had several more smaller ones until the levels were where they needed to be. In the year since she's had dozens, some worse than others, and we've added Potassium Bromide to the mix. She continues to have small focal seizures lasting a few seconds almost daily. She was hospitalized last month with Pancreatitis. While there she had one larger and one smaller seizure. Since she's come home she seems to be deteriorating. She sleeps most of the days away. She has difficulty walking, stumbles or falls when she stands still for more than a few seconds, bumps into things and has fallen down the stairs. She seems to be losing control or strength in her hind legs. Last night she fell asleep at my feet and then couldn't stand or walk for a couple of minutes when she woke. This morning, on the other hand, she came as close to running as she has in a while to go outside and potty and play for a moment. It was brief. She's eating well, looks and sounds a good as ever which makes it that much harder to wonder "How much is enough for her?" I guess that's what I'm looking for, advice on "enough". She is our absolute favorite person in the world and is loved beyond measure. As terrified as I am about her leaving us, I am more afraid that she's suffering as she is. I've never had to even consider this for a pet so I'm lost to the rationale of it. How do you know when they've had enough?
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    last year

Funky, I'm like you. I have to be careful with my eye's which is why I can't outline them in eyeliner. But that's what makes the eyes pop. I was looking at pictures on FB of friends the same age as I am and noticed it was their eye liner that made the difference.

I used to buy makeup for sensitive eyes and that didn't work.

I upped my eyeshadow for my eye, hair, and skin color with a palette I already had which was easy. If you ever use powder eyeshadow, always tap the brush to get excess off before you apply.

On the lids I use a dark rose, at the brow bone I put a line of brown and blend it in, then a barely noticeable white under the brow. Simple but much better.

• Oakley
    last year

Forgot, I use a skinny brush to line barely above the lashes and smudge.

We posted at the same time. :)

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Since Thrive is a "tubing" mascara it comes off with just warm water, yet it doesn't run if you cry or get wet. The water has to be warm for removal.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah @Oakley, I think that's a good look but it is a lot for my tiny eyes. Also, I can't use eye brushes-- no depth perception and I am scared of poking my eye out. The little, short ones are easier for me to control but they aren't all that great for application. I use my finger and proprioceptive muscle memory to hit my eye lid-- but not much precision there.

Powder shadow dust migrates-- as i said, I don't use a brush anymore. I think it is more that I touch my eyes--to dry them and also when I can't pull a focus together. I know it isn't good to touch your eyes but mine need touching whether it is my fingers or a cotton cloth/tissue.

@terezosa / terriks I never tried a tube mascara -- that may work better for me. It isn't just running that bothers me, the mascaras flake off and make my lashes fall out. A tubing one may eliminate that.

Thanks all.. and you must all have beeeeautiful eyes! 😍

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

The only makeup I wear daily, and pretty much ever, is mascara. I curl my eyelashes with an eyelash curler and swipe on Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara. For me at least, I think it makes a big difference in my appearance. I've tried other mascaras without much luck. They always seem to smudge on me. This one rarely does, and only after a long day or doing something like swimming. And even then, it's usually just a hint of smudge not a big old smear. I also use Paula's Choice makeup remover to take it off. I've tried some others and they bother my eyes a bit. I probably shouldn't but I often sleep in the mascara and then take it off when I shower in the morning.

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • olychick
    last year

I would never risk having my lashes tinted. The products are toxic and can cause blindness or damage to your precious eyes. Not worth the risk for vanity in my book. Many sources here of info. Just fyi, I was trained as a cosmetologist and learned lash tinting many years ago. I would never provide the service because of 1) liability and 2) I didn't want to feel responsible for someone's damaged eyesight.
    Dangers of lash tinting

• bbstx
    last year

I used to use Blink mascara, which is a tubing mascara. I loved it, but, alas, it did not love me. It didn’t flake or smudge but it also made my eyes itch something fierce.

Dominique Sachse has a pretty good tutorial on how to make up your eyes for a more open look.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Oly and Bbstx .. yeah, no toxic tint. I didn't really think it through but was open to looking into it. The woman in the video is very attractive but the look isnt me-- and as I've said, I can't use brushes or make any lines on water line or lash line. I have double vision, fuzzy image and no depth perception. It was probably foolish of me to pose the question knowing my limitations!

The laura mercier caviar pencils work because they are very soft and don't require precision application. That is about my speed lol... but I do have some darker colors in my shopping basket.

• Oakley
    last year

Funky, I put my makeup on with one eye closed & use this magnifying mirror when I do my eyes and lips.

Strong magnifying mirror The other side isn't magnified. It sure helps with plucking eyebrows so I don't pull ten out at a time. lol

• Oakley
    last year

Here's a link to YouTube for those with small eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=makeup+for+small+eyes

• olychick
    last year

I generally do not comment on people's appearance because it just doesn't seem right - we each just need to be happy with our choices and what I think is really unimportant. With that caveat, I'm going to go against my general rule. I've been thinking about your post and your desire to make your eyes more prominent. I know you have special vision needs, so this could be way off the mark, but I was wondering if you've ever considered glasses with a little more pizazz? Maybe that isn't possible with the lenses you require, or not your style, but I keep thinking how much impact some colored frames might have. Instead of eye shadow/make up, maybe a frame to bring that color to your eyes. I don't know your color preferences, so these are just examples. You could have a wardrobe of colors:

Funkyart thanked olychick
  • olychick
    last year

I couldn't add these:

Funkyart thanked olychick
  • salonva
    last year

I can somewhat relate to your quest. I wore contact lenses for years (and then had lasik like 20 plus years ago) but I am still squeamish about eye products. I have minimal eyelashes, always did. Mascara helps somewhat but I find it uncomfortable and rarely use it. I can't use the eyelash curlers because they skeeve me out. I do use a pencil on the lower rim and that really does make a big difference. Without it I look tired and old. With the pencil, I look alert but old. lol

As a previous eyeglass wearer, I know that if you are nearsighted, the lenses tend to make your eyes look smaller. . At least for those who are far sighted, the lenses enlarge the eyes .

I think oly has a great suggestion with the glasses. If eye make up is really not going to be comfortable or suitable, I think it's worth at least trying some of the more colorful frames. I think they are all worth a try but I particularly love the first 2 and the last one .

Funkyart thanked salonva
  • localeater
    last year

I wear glasses, cant wear mascara.

My glasses are expensive, and have not been able to be successfully made by Zenni or other online source(both my sons get their glasses that way and I have tried!) The concept of a wardrobe of glasses has always been my dream, but it is too rich for my blood. I do have more than 1 pair because my prescription rarely changes however.

I will occasionally wear light pink eyeliner on bottom, to help brighten my eyes, and a highlighter on the upper eye. You know what makes me look great a bright lip. Unfortunately, my mother was right. Hush, dont tell her! A bright lip, brightens my whole face and makes me look pulled together. A lipstick sits on my desk and is applied throughout my remote work, TEAM meeting filled day.

I have tried to stop micro-analyzing my features, because it would be depressing. I am just going with this is my face.

Funkyart thanked localeater
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@salonva, yes, I feel like I look tired and old without lining or mascara. That's exactly it! I don't want a bold eye. I just want to add a little definition.

@olychick, I am fine with comments on anything-- I just may shoot daggers at the screen!! LOL kidding!

I was surprised that you suggested more distinctive glasses because I have long been known for quirky glasses-- but I guess that is dependent on what you think is quirky! I have three pairs of glasses -- but each for a different distance.. I primarily wear the ones below now that I am not in the office. I think the Tiffany blue suits me, my coloring and my style. Note: my lenses cost well over $1000 so I only have what I need-- I don't keep spares in fun styles or colors.

Since most of my selfies are head on, you don't get a good view of them like you would IRL. You can sort of see the sides here in this photo

That said-- I am due for new glasses. I was putting it off because mentally, I couldn't deal with my dental work AND my eyes at the same time. I am not one to go for a bold primary color -- the colors don't suit me and I am NOT looking to draw attention to my face!! I like interest at my face and colors that blend/compliment but nothing that screams, "hey, look at me!". These are currently in the running-- my sister loves these on me-- but I haven't tried on many frames as yet. I will keep your thoughts in mind-- and feel free to make other suggestions

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@localeater SAME! I have never been able to use Zenni or any of the others-- my astigmatism is too extreme. Now that I have additional issues, I need to use a digital lab to get all my curves right in the prescription and they are very expensive. I also have multiple pairs but they are for 3 different ranges (all progressives-- but optimized for different distance ranges.)

I also tend to like a pink or pinkish gold liner.. and the right color bronze looks very good too IMO. When I say liner though-- it isn't a sharp line, it's thicker with a soft pencil. I am going to try some darker colors-- I have a taupe and a grayish amethyst in my cart.

I am curious about your bright lip color-- I am looking at new lipsticks as I noticed many of mine had too much orange. I like lighter pinks and beiges but I wouldn't call them bright.

And yes lol.. I have the face I have. It's not especially pretty and I am ok with that-- i just don't want to look tired and washed out!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I know this isn't quite what you asked, but I notice you have lush and straight eyebrows. They are lovely, but if you want to lighten your look, might you consider making them somewhat thinner with more of a taper? I find as I've aged, my eyebrows do need filling but if I get them too dark or full it's not good.

Otherwise, I'd look for natural products, and I'd stay focused on using shadows on the lid more than a lot of make up near the lash line itself where it's more likely to be irritating.

Other suggestion would be, if you haven't tried tubing mascara, you might. It literally coats the lash in a polymer tube which stays in place and won't smear or run or cry off. Nothing flaky to get in your eyes. When ready to remove, it washes off easily in warm water....you'll see little "spiders" in the sink where the tubes have slipped off the lashes. See eg https://www.allure.com/gallery/best-tubing-mascaras

(ETA: I hadn't read through the thread to see others suggested tubing mascara as well. Sorry.)

• localeater
    last year

I totally get not wanting to look tired and washed out- bright, crisp, dynamic, energized would be adjectives I want. I feel good when my complexion is its best. I am not a huge product person, but I have a few products that I really know help my skin look its best. (I stopped for 4 weeks once to see if I noticed a difference, I did, I looked haggard(eek!)

I dared to go brighter with the lip color with the help of a Sepohora person. An outside objective opinion is so beneficial IMO. I walked in with my 3 or 4 go to colors and said I like these but I want something fresh, and more vibrant. And working with the information of the ones I thought looked good and their undertones they helped steer me to me current favorite. I

• salonva
    last year

I'm reading this again, and I guess I skipped over TUBE mascara. Going to read up on that now because I;m also one who doesn't love mascara.

Also, I am another one who wears bright lipstick (even when we were masking!) and find it really makes me come to life. It takes some playing around with colors, but I have found a few that I love . I am a major fan of Covergirl Outlast as it truly does last a long long time and does NOT come off. That's how I was able to wear it when masking. It might take a bit to get used to especially if you're not use to color, but with your dark hair I think it could work nicely. Worth a try.

Funkyart thanked salonva
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@Annie Deighnaugh thank you-- my brows are definitely a problem area-- but they are what they are. In the photo above it was pre-salon waxing but they are kept pretty thick even with a waxing because that is how they grow. When I go thinner, they don't lay well on the bone (and a scar I have under there) and I get strays. I have been getting them waxed for well over 30 yr and they have figured out what works best for me. And I swear I feel like a broken record but it is my reality, I can't pluck or even trim because 1. I often cannot SEE the strays without blowing up selfies .. and 2. I have double vision and no depth perception so plucking is futile at best-- dangerous at worst. A magnifying mirror doesn't help me see-- in fact, it makes it worse. Maybe I should just give up! LOL

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I am really hesitant to go darker on my lips -- but I could see brighter. I don't think I look good in darker or even medium colors but maybe I haven't had the right one. I did get a LOT of help from the chanel counter when I first did a color match for my face makeup (i won't dare call it foundation! LOL) so I will try to do the same with lips. I haven't branched out beyond nudes and pale pinks in a long time ... oh and I have a gold that I love for the right occasion. See lol, I may be in a rut.

I am going out this morning/afternoon and if i get myself in gear, I will try a darker Laura Mercier caviar stick. I found one in Amethyst that I received in a set -- it isn't purple as much as a smokey gray so it may do what I want it to. We'll see.. I am behind schedule so it may not happen.

• localeater
    last year

Before everyone gets all excited about tubing mascara I would just like to call out that many contains plastics, similar to microbeads that have now been widely banned. Those spiders, Annie referenced, "you'll see spiders in the sink where the tubes have slipped off the lashes" are plastic which might clog your drain but are definitely not good for the water system.

You can use this link to check the ingredients in your brand:

https://www.beatthemicrobead.org/guide-to-microplastics/ Thrive contains Acrylate Crosspolymer which is a red list plastic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I love your glasses!

I think you are so lucky to have such a pretty skin tone (I am so pale) and such prominent brows. The number one thing I see with women over time is their brows become so light and it just ruins the definition in your face. Even if you feel yours can be unruly from time to time, all that means is make your next appointment as soon as you leave the current one, so they are always perfect.

I would experiment with crayons to try a medium dark eyeliner. I like crayons because you can smudge them, I don't know if you even need mascara. Keep in mind your glasses already help by magnifying your eyes to others. My DS wears glasses and I notice her eyes look a lot better/bigger with them on.

I know very prominent lipliner is out, but I might try some if you don't want a brighter color but want to emphasize your pretty smile.

One little thing; should your glasses be up forther on the bridge of your nose, or is that just the angle we see?

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Elizabeth
    last year

Under eye concealer. Blended well so you do not have big white circles under your eyes. A light touch with liner and mascara. Your eyebrows need to be thinner. They are dark and heavy and overshadow your eyes. It is a good deal of work keeping them that way, I know, but it makes a world of difference because it draws attentions directly to your eyes.

I am sure you do wear your glasses up higher on your nose so you are looking out of the optical center of your lenses. Maybe a gold wire frames pair of glasses?

Rather rough edit...but this is what I mean. You have beautiful eyes. Green?

( I hope you are not sorry that you asked. )

Funkyart thanked Elizabeth
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your continued feedback.. I am just back from brunch and shopping so will try to hit all the points below ...

As noted-- the photo above was before my first salon visit after almost 2 yr -- 1 yr of covid avoidance and another year of dental work that kept me home/out of public. As noted, I cannot do them myself so they were in a terrible place-- but again. I wasn't leaving the house other then dr appts and of all the things I was sweating through that period, my brows just werent one of them. Maybe I should have used a different picture but based on your mockup, you wouldn't have liked the manicured ones any better. I cannot wear them as thin as you are suggesting due to my brow bone and frankly the way they grow. They are what they are. I have not made peace with them but Ive accepted that they are mine after these 58 yrs.

@mtnrdredux_gw ya, I make appts as soon as I complete one-- I used to get them done every 4 weeks with my hair but now that my hair is longer I won't have salon visits as frequently. Thanks for noting though because I didn't really consider that I'd need to add a brow appt between hair appts.

Yes LOL my glasses were too far down my nose-- I think i was tilting just a bit to see the top of my head lol. I do have a very narrow bridge-- all other features on my face are huge except the bridge and my eyes. Because of the astigmatism, prisms and "viewing zones" I have built into my glasses (not your typical linear progressive), I do need them to be in place if i want to see.

I have never worn a lip pencil.. but I definitely need to get new lip colors! I wasnt even wearing lipstick in that photo-- I am pretty sure it was a tinted lip balm.

I did try smuding a line with a darker Laura Mercier caviar stick-- which is more like a soft crayon (thank you, I couldn't think of that word!) The color I used (amethyst) is darker than I normally wear but i don't think it was dark enough-- it barely showed on my skin. I have a few other darker colors to order.

And finally .. thank you for the compliment on my eyes. I don't think they are especially pretty but both my sisters and all my nieces have beautiful blue eyes so I am the odd ball. My eyes are hazel. They will range from brown to green to steely gray. Most often brown with green scattered in.

Hope I touched on everyone's comments -- I do appreciate all the suggestions for my face. I thought I wanted only feedback on how to get better definition on my eyes but it is all helpful!

oh, and thank you, @localeater for sharing the concern for tubing mascara. I have a severe allergic reaction to adhesives and some plastics so I think I will pass on them. Thanks for the warning!

• Eileen
    last year

I have smallish eyes and wear largish glasses because that's the style, but I've been wondering if all the extra glass space around the eye makes them appear smaller.

Funkyart thanked Eileen
  • Olychick
    last year

Just to be clear, I wasn’t really suggesting a BOLD color for glasses and I can see the contrasting sides on your current ones now. I was just picturing a frame that brings some color to frame your eyes, like a complementary frame on a piece if art. A little less harsh than a thicker black surround. If you will notice on the pics I posted, most of the models do not have their eyes very made up. The burgundy and more subtle blue would look nice with your coloring without screaming ”look at me.” Just clarifying, no reply needed.

Funkyart thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    last year

Funky, you are very beautiful…. your eyes are so expressive.

Ok, remember I told you we have the same glasses?

Looks like we’re about to have two pairs the same. 😎

I got these a few yrs ago and love them!

Get the pink! :)

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

LOL.. that is too funny, Jinx! My sister is campaigning for them too!

And thank you for the compliments! Really, I am really pretty ordinary--- just the girl next door. Still, I appreciate the kind and generous words especially when we are picking apart my flaws! LOL

(and now I am singing Natalie Merchant in my head!)

• Oakley
    last year

Funky, you have got to see this video! I'm searching for an eye primer so concealer goes on smoother & doesn't highlight crepey skin. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Not far into the video one of his techniques made me LOL because I thought of us when he did it. You'll notice immediately. The guy is pretty good too.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, @Oakley -- I am not sure what you want me to see?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Thank you for showing your eyebrows both ways. Funny, but the "done" ones are too overdone IMHO as they have removed all the character the brows provide your face. I think something in between would suit you much better and probably be easier to maintain. Maybe just some shaping under the brow bone so they get a little more arched look.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

hmm.. just to be clear, the only photo I shared was pre-salon .. someone else altered my photo to show how she thought they should be.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Oh sorry, I misunderstood...then the photo did overdo it...

• Oakley
    last year

When he took the brush with powder and went all over the eyes with it. It made my eyes water just watching. :)

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Funky, I have always admired your skin. It is so flawless and gorgeous. I’m just going to lay out what I wear based on trying way too much makeup that didn’t work over the years. My eyes are hooded too and my eyelashes and eyebrows naturally thin, but longer and some thicker since I’ve been using Latisse, which you likely don’t want to do with your eye sensitivity.

Starting with brows. I love Bobbi Brown’s Natural Brow Shaper. It’s like a mascara for the brows. It takes a little getting used to applying with a light hand. I use slate which doesnt seem to overpower, color-wise, with my graying hair.

If i use eye shadow at all, I use either Bobbi Brown or Jones Road. Usually powder but if i will be out all day or want a little more shine in the evening, I Long Wear Cream Shadow Stick. My favorite color is Nude Beach which is pink-beige. I dab a little in the center of my eyelid and use a flat brush or my finger to blend. I think i have more control with the brush, especially if i want to get up into the crease more, but i do have to wash the brush often. I also like the colors Stone and Taupe. I use an ivory base under the brow. I have some basic powder colors from Jones Rd that are nice. Nothing crazy.

I do not like tube mascaras at all. That stuff was a mess. My DD does use Thrive mascara and likes it a lot. I am currently using Jones Road.

I’m also loving the newest BB corrector and concealer that comes in a swivel tube. It does not look crepey or settle in my wrinkles like the old serum concealer did.

Funkyart thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Funky, you are a good sport to bravely post your pic and allow others to critique!! I agree with Mtn, your skin is lovely, as are your brows! I think just a tweak or two such as accenting your eyes and s brighter lipstick will make all the difference. i can hear my mother”s voice ”put on some lipstick”!! 😂

ETA: I do not like tube mascaras at all. That stuff was a mess. Outside - me too!!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • terezosa / terriks
    last year

Funky - you have great eyebrows - leave them alone.

Funkyart thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, I understand now, @Oakley. I actually don't have an issue with large, soft brushes -- but i use a liquid makeup (and do cover my eyes as he suggests) so no need for a brush there. I use my fingers. It's the small eye brushes that I won't/can't use near my eyes.

Ha! I don't mind the critiques, @Tina Marie. I have tough skin and while I was specifically asking about my blah, tired eyes, I am open to improving other areas of my face as well.

@OutsidePlaying, @Tina Marie and @mtnrdredux_gw, you all are so sweet -- my skin isn't flawless irl but I appreciate the compliments because it means my makeup is doing its job and worth the cost lol!

I had tentative plans to go to Sephora to get a recommendation on lip color but the cold I have been fighting kicked in hard midday so I cut the day short. In the meantime, I have ordered a few new products -- including an UD eye liner (nervous but will try) and a new lip color that leans a little towards a rose plum. We'll see how they work. I also threw out all my mascaras-- none of which have been used since before my first eye surgery. I am sure they were all dried up. Not sure yet if i will order another. I should probably have one for special occasions.

Chantecaille Chic Lip - Wisteria

• Kswl
    last year

Funky when I re-read my eyeliner explanation I realized it was as clear as mud 🙁 This is how I apply eyeliner, and I do it this way because i also have deep set eyes and I don’t want the top line extending down at the outer corner to pull it down further. Doing it this way (below) frames the eye in a balanced way that doesnt drag it down at the corners

I found this drawing and used my ohone to mark it up. Obviously I don’t use blue; I did it in that color for clarity.

Funkyart thanked Kswl
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @Kswl .. I did follow what you were saying but thank you for taking the time to make it clear! I did similar on my bottom lid when I did wear eyeliner.

If I can find a liner tool I can use, I will give it a try-- right now, the challenge is finding a product or method I can apply given my double vision/lack of depth perception etc etc.

I don't think I shared this but while I love the Laura Mercier caviar sticks for my lid, they didn;t work well for me as a liner. After 4 hours out yesterday, the "liner" was covering my whole undereye area. My eyes were more watery than usual due to a cold-- but I don't think it is a good solution. I ordered an Urban Decay stick to try because it says it is soft and glides on-- but it then dries and stays put. We'll see. I loved the gel liners but they are not forgiving and given my limitations I don't think they'll work well.. but maybe I will try one of them also.

• Kswl
    last year

I have been looking at the Urban Decay eyeliner also— please post a review.

• Eileen
    last year

Your dark eyebrows and dark glasses are always going to demand attention and make your eyes less noticeable. Since the thickness and shape of your brows can't be changed, I'd consider having them lightened, along with getting lighter frames.

• legomom23
    last year

Well darn it, I lost my reply - I'll try again. I wear glasses, have small eyes, and also deep-set, so I have been looking into this for awhile. I follow a woman on Instagram - 50isthenew50blog who gave some tips a few months back which worked for me - mascara being the first, so there's that. Hopefully you can find one you can wear. The other one was bright or boldish lip color to balance out the glasses. I think with your dark brows and dark glasses, this could make a big difference for you when you find the right color. This tip really worked for me.

She also explained when applying blush to leave your glasses on and use some blush around the outside of the frame and also above the frame towards the temple so you are framing your face including your glasses and not just using the glasses to frame your face. That really made sense to me :)

For me personally, I am not any whiz with makeup applications, and I have found with glasses especially that if I use a lighter solid color all over my lids it really wakes them up more which makes them look a bit bigger. Then I use a color eyeliner to give it a little but of color - in my case a navy blue or plum. Just a little something, but I go bolder/brighter with my lip color. Even when I don't wear makeup I have found that the Burt's Bees shimmer lip gloss has some good color which does balance out the top half of my face but looks good for every day.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, @legomom! I do wear shadow all over my lids-- also in skin tone or lighter shades. I threw away all my mascaras this morning but I am considering ordering another-- I won't wear it everyday but I can give it a try for special occasions.

I really try to keep a light hand on the blush-- if it actually shows as blush vs cheek tinge, it was an application error lol... but I do go outside the frames. I do an off center arc from high cheek to mid cheek. Not sure if that is right-- or if i even described it accurately-- but it is what a chanel associate taught me when I was wearing their tweed blushes (long discontinued).

The lip is what is really throwing me-- I DO wear burts bees shimmer pretty often. I love the feel the "taste" and the look but I think I need something more mature-- something with more presence i guess. I do not like dark colors on me at all and never anything tending to red so we'll see what I come up with.

I may just be destined to have the face I have lol. I really dislike watching makeup videos and I really don't spend a lot of time applying makeup-- I prefer a natural look and the more time I spend on it, the less natural it looks... especially since I cannot clearly SEE my face. A larger makeup mirror might help but I have a pretty large one as it is. My eyes can't converge to the close up. It actually makes me nauseous.

I am optimistic about the few items I ordered but we'll see .. I've always had a small arsenal of good products that did good stuff. I like to keep it simple with good ingredients that are more than the sum of their parts .. like a shortbread cookie lol. :) That may not pan out as I age.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Kswl, that is how I apply eyeliner also, when I wear it that is, which is less and less frequent these days. I use BB long-wear which is in a swivel tube. I think it is either gray or slate. Not black.

• localeater
    last year

@Funkyart I want you to know I have a nice box from Sephora coming this week thanks to you and this thread. I havent heard of Chantecaille lipstick, I like the ingredient list and that may be a future treat. I love the texture, feel of YSL lip shine. The colors are quite sheer so what seems dark ends up just right, at least for me. https://www.yslbeautyus.com/makeup/lips/lipstick/rouge-volupte-shine-lipstick-balm/62510YSL.html#tab=ingredients

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

LOL well i hope you enjoy it all, Local!

I really like YSL lip products.. one of my go-to's is "Glaze and Gloss". Hmm it seems like they have really cut back on their product line and colors seem to be in low stock. Every dept store/site has a different range of colors. I did find a color I like on Macy's in the rouge volupte shine. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation/reminder.

I haven't tried the Chantecaille products but I like what I know of them-- and also their colors! I'll let you know what I think!