SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Thanksgiving dish as side dish, but also work as a main meal?

lyfia
last year
last modified: last year

For thanksgiving we are doing a pot luck as an extended family and holding it at a farmhouse that we've been renovating. Due to delay's in supplies and such it is almost complete, but we won't have appliances etc. Everyone is bringing dishes and my in-laws are providing the main portion of the meal - Turkey, dressing, mashed potato, and gravy. Everyone else will bring sides/desserts. I already know what side to bring so my picky side of the family will have something to eat there, but a few of us don't like Turkey and have at past thanksgivings just not eaten Turkey. However I'd like this year to be a little different since we are all bringing things and it would be nice to have something to eat and not be hungry which has generally been my norm for thanksgiving besides eating an appetizer (that I have brought in the past) or the other family members filling up on cookies and brownies. What would be an acceptable side dish that could also work more as a main meal and include protein?

Note the dish has to be gluten and dairy free due to one of the persons having had a dairy allergy and has never developed the taste for dairy after outgrowing it and gluten free for another due to celiac.

Would Swedish meatballs be odd to bring?

Comments (22)