SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_194601261

I need trim/door advice tons of oak

I bought a mid century modern home that needed a lot of work. though we’ve accomplished a lot of work, these doors and trim in the interior of the house has me stuck. i dont like the color. the trim and doors have Scratches in them. not sure if i should stain them a darker color, or paint? im just not sure on the color… should i replace them? theres just sooo much! any recommendations would be helpful

Comments (64)

• judygilpin
    last year

I would paint all of the trim & doors out in a light color. Especially since you're doing hardwood floors, the wood trim would be way too dark. Not a fan of the Luan. It always looked cheap to me. All of that wood darkens the area. Also, I don't get that small platform under the bar stools. Assume it was they would not be on the carpet. I would certainly remove that when you do your floors.

Raynece Million thanked judygilpin
  • oldhouseguru
    last year

If you do paint the doors beware that paint on the edges or hardware can make the doors harder to operate and paint that isn't applied to a clean, well prepared surface may scratch easily so take your time and do it right. Also choose a color that you will be happy with for a very long time as each added layer of paint from color changes creates build up and makes any issues of binding or sticking worse.

I'd suggest you test products that claim to clean and refresh the existing finish to see if it looks nicer. I use Howards Restore A Finish (I am not a salesperson or dealer, just a customer) on my wood that has some scratches or dulling and it helps without the effort of a full refinish or repaint. Test inside a closet door or in another unseen spot first. After cleaning consider applying a fresh coat of clear finish, which can be satin, semi-gloss or full gloss depending on your taste. This may lighten and brighten the doors enough that you find them acceptable. Varnished doors need a lot less upkeep than painted doors and respond very well to spot cleaning and touch up.

The wood columns at the bar look good quality but I'd suggest they are a 1980s style addition to the house and unless you love them or they are doing something structural they could be removed as they are not part of the original modernist scheme.

Please note the hardware shown in the first picture is really good looking mid century hardware. The large ring behind the doorknob and the sculptural pulls were costly and stylish and are a handsome feature of your house. I'd suggest you clean them as needed and keep them. While some people find the flat doors cheap looking remember in a modernist house that flat doors are part of the style. Paneled or ornate doors generally go with period styles and create an off note in a modernist house unless they are specifically modernist style panel doors, which are very costly. Avoid the temptation to use colonial style six panel doors or to add a 'fancy' front door with oval stained glass or the like if you wish to keep harmony in the house.

Raynece Million thanked oldhouseguru
  • Related Discussions

I am a newbie needing advice on stain trim & door color....

Q

Comments (2)
    If you like the look of the natural wood, go for it. I don't think it will look silly with the medium brown maple cabinets, the differences in stain/no stain will look great together.
    ...See More

Need Advice on New Door Trim

Q

Comments (6)
    The house was built in the early/mid 30s by a very affluent family in the area. It stayed in the family until I purchased it. The house is a mix of victorian and craftsman. Most of the interior design elements were "over-the-top" Victorian. The house is the largest/nicest house in the area and is one of the houses everyone knows. There are quite a few things that are not strictly to-code in the house, but the house is grandfathered so most I don't need to worry about. While updating, if it is possible I try to correct any issues, but some things it just isn't possible. FYI, the radiator sits back into the wall under the window. The cubby is 8.5" deep. We've never worried about burning ourselves on that radiator. The one in the basement my knees touch while on the toilet, but they don't get hot enough to actually burn (hot water, not steam). I WILL be fixing that one in the future. I actually found the original blueprints to the house in the basement. From it, I can tell there have been A LOT of changes, and additions to the house over the years. Generally you can look at the material and have a pretty good idea what decade it was done. When I spoke to the previous owner (his father built the house) he told me they didn't care about keeping it era specific or anything, his comment was "we like what we like, and wanted what we wanted", and they had the money to do it... I am NOT a purist, but the bones of this house are of a grand nature. I am trying to restore what I think the house should look like in my own way. I am keeping with the mix of victorian and craftsman as well.
    ...See More

Need Color advice for siding. garage doors, and trim

Q

Comments (3)
    The colors you are considering are the exact same as our house! Of course elevation is very different - but here is how it looks for reference!
    ...See More

need paint colour advice to go with orange doors and trim

Q

Comments (1)
    I kind of like the colors that are already there! If you paint, no cool tones like gray, blue, I'd go with whites that are a bit warmer but not too yellow. Earth tones will also work well with that orange-y wood.
    ...See More
  • nancy123456789
    last year

Wow- Looking at the "before" photos...you've done a ton of work already and it looks great!

Raynece Million thanked nancy123456789
  • Lynn Wall
    last year

I'm not a fan of the dated luan doors and trim I recently updated my door with two panel doors and painted them and trim white, eventually I'd like to change out the baseboard to 4inch, I thinkmit gives a nicer look than the 2 1/2 inch trim. Just throwing that out there.

Raynece Million thanked Lynn Wall
  • ryanbriggs
    last year

I may be the contrarian here but I suggest replacing trim and doors. Budget is of course a consideration. This is driven by the number doors you have.

My primary point is that you have the opportunity really update your look with new trim. This is something paint alone can’t do. Primed trim is not expensive and easy to install. There are several options from traditional to modern. If you’re considering painting the stained trim, you’ve already signed up for a round of sanding, stain blocking primer, caulk and paint. I would wager your painter bill would be less with fresh material.

Lastly, if you can find budget for new doors, you will be liberated in design choices that folllow. Nice shaker style doors and new hardware will make all the other improvements you’ve made stand out!

Raynece Million thanked ryanbriggs
  • Rebecca Averill
    last year

I would also keep the wood doors and trim. Try a product called Howard's Restore-a-Finish; it covers scratches and makes the wood look new(ish). Be sure to try it on a hidden corner first.

Raynece Million thanked Rebecca Averill
  • R M
    last year

I vote for A WHITE OUT!!

Raynece Million thanked R M
  • nolanirvana
    last year

I would keep the wood trim and doors. Remove the bar and columns. Remove the chair molding in the hall. My grandparents had a mid 1950s house . The doors and trim were very similar to yours. They had oak strip hardwood floors in a lighter stain that looked good with the doors and trim..

Raynece Million thanked nolanirvana
  • Sue Johnson
    last year
    last modified: last year

Congratulations on buying your home! Now, the hard part---making it your own... otherwise known as "fixing previous owner's mistakes!" lol From your photos, it sure looks like prior owners "made it their own" in each decade, instead of keeping the original style. :-(

What year was your home built? It seems a little more late 1960's when the MCM was ending, rather than 1930's-40's, at it's peak design/build stage. The pocket door appears to be a hollow core door, so it would have a very thin sheet of wood (similar to a sheet of formica, but thinner) glued over a wood framed door. It would be difficult to refinish this type of door as there is not much wood to sand down. I would get a "stain pen" (looks like a marker) matched to the stain color on the door, and carefully go over the scratches. On the doors with the gouges, if they are hollow core also, you will have the same problem... just not enough wood to sand down smooth.

You asked above what color to stain, and posted a photo of the hallway. The stain is most likely the original color, and it looks like it is in good shape. What is making it look out-of-place is the walls and the decor. The chair rail is not MCM and the two-toned contrasting wallpaper or paint treatment is from the 1980's...probably done the same time the bar was installed. MCM is bright, clean lines, minimalist... think "Scandanavian design." The wood in your home is most likely birch, with a honey-oak stain. It is fighting with the dark colors on the wall. Once you remove those colors and paint the walls white, it won't look so "orangey."

The baseboard moulding appears to be just a plain sanitary moulding, perhaps put down in the 80's when previous owner did something with the flooring. Look at the baseboard moulding in a room that previous owner didn't "improve" lol. Perhaps the original moulding is still there and you can get an idea of what the original was, and match it up. A closet or maybe the laundry room might still have original moulding.

In the first set of photos you posted, the hallway seemed very narrow, leading me to think that the house was late 1960's early 1970's, as a true MCM is open concept, with lots of natural light. The light fixtures in that photo are 2020 modern, not MCM, and they are casting a blue light (CFL or LED bulbs?) giving an odd appearance, harsh and sterile instead of soft and soothing. Hanging anything on the walls, especially a dark item, will just close in the hallway even more. First, remove everything from the walls. Try changing out the bulbs (cheapest way) for regular incandescent bulbs... you can pick them up cheap at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore... unless you are in California-- I think incandescent bulbs are banned out there? If you have to buy new CFL or LED, get ones marked "warm white", they will cast a yellowish light... you don't want your home to look like an office building, right? If that seems to work, stick with the lighting in place until you find one that truly is MCM. If it's still not quite right, consider replacing the hanging lights with a flushmount light, the kind we call "can lights." Your hallway ceilings are quite low, and any hanging lights will cast shadows---see those dark spots on the ceiling-- and make the hallway look like a cave. If you REALLY want to bring natural light in during the day, you could install Solartubes. There are some solartubes on the market that even have lights inside the tube that you can turn on at night.

Good luck to you and post some photos of "after"

Edit to add: As for the flooring stain color-- match it to the door/trim color, it will be fine. Just so long as you paint the walls white, and any ceiling trim should be painted white, especially if the ceilings are low like the hallway. Any color other than white will "pull down" the ceiling. Actually, MCM did not make use of ceiling trim moulding, so take it down.

Raynece Million thanked Sue Johnson
  • Sherry Stevenson
    last year

My walls are light gray, doors are darker shade of gray, and trim is white. Update the hardware, sand, prime and  paint all of the doors the same color. I used a satin finish. Sorry about the poor quality photo.

Raynece Million thanked Sherry Stevenson
  • HU-815823146
    last year

I had a similar delimma and painted the Luanne doors. wished i hadnt.they scratch very easily. knowing what i know now, i would have cleaned and refreshed them and kept them as original as possible. The carpet seens like a good quick fix and i understand why you did it. Perhaps consider 24x 24 tile that looks like terazzo? Terazzo would have been period appropriate. It would cut down on wood look. i agree with getting rid if chair molding. hope this is helpful to you. love your house!

Raynece Million thanked HU-815823146
  • zealart
    last year

Before painting them, try this products called : restore a finish. It's really easy to use and can make the wood doors look newer.

Raynece Million thanked zealart
  • Tricia's Trivia
    last year

Terrazzo is back in style. You may find more under the carpet.

Raynece Million thanked Tricia's Trivia
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I have a 50S MCM ranch and IMO the trim was not ever a real design elemnet only used to hide the seams and spaces around the doors and ceilings . I painted all my trim the same as my wall color just in semi gloss and all my doors I replaced with pixelated glass since that just opened up the long hallway totally.Those I painted a dark gray I sure hop you are going to get rid of the chair rail and that horrible textured wall. neither of which belong in a MCM home

• Lynne
    last year

We have that style of trim in our house, stained a redwood color, ugh, hate it. We have painted over some of it, don't recommend that, eventually shows wear. I made hubby replace some when we redid the bathroom 25 years ago (due again). Honestly, I intend to replace every rounded piece of trim in this house, hate the look, so dated.

Raynece Million thanked Lynne
  • Jennifer Hogan
    last year

In live in an neighborhood with primarily MCM homes built in the 50s and 60s. One of the things I love about this neighborhood is that every home is unique. They weren't cookie cutter tract homes.

Some were more modern than others, but most had what we consider MCM design elements.

My parents home was what I would consider a classic MCM style. Flat roof, sprawling ranch, cement block construction, built in furniture (including sofas, beds, dressers) and tons of wood.

If someone painted the woodwork in that home it would be heartbreaking.

The home I own, although built near the same time, was built by an older woman (a widow) and not as modern. Brick exterior, not as large and more plaster than wood on the interior.

I believe my interior doors are birch. Some of the trim had been painted over the years and some was still wood, and sadly some of the doors were replaced when the second owners renovated the master bedroom and bath.

I had painted all the doors and trim white in my last home (a 1970s ranch tract home in CA) and had planned on doing that in this home, but once I started painting I decided I really liked the warmth that the wood doors added to the space. I painted the trim, but kept the doors.

I will be replacing the white doors that the 2nd owner used in the master suite that don't fit the MCM style of the home at all.

My parents home had very little decorative accents, but the home I bought has some really unique hardware that I have also decided to keep. Copper not blue - don't know why the pic turned blue.

Not exactly classic MCM, but I like the detail.

I don't know if it would have been sinful to paint the closet doors, but I think I would miss the color.

photoshopped

Raynece Million thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • micheley
    last year

Your wood trim is worth saving and a huge part of your home's character. As suggested already, I would refinish. You talked about staining darker, but with that much wood, it might make the house feel gloomy. Take your time, explore options. I live in an old house and had to strip paint off baseboards and floors to return some of the original character while still adding my own touch. Take your time and look at other houses from that period to get a sense of what it could look like. Even if it isn't the fanciest woodwork, it's worth preserving.

Raynece Million thanked micheley
  • jordanmicayla
    last year

Recommendations for Hallway

-remove chair rail

-replace baseboard with 6”-7” high trim. Pick a style that will be consistent with your personal style. Paint base board and door trim ( which needs replacing too) same as wall color.

-current focal point at end of hall is a mirror and a laundry hamper? Need large piece of framed art to pull the eye to which will brake up the visual monotony of so many door openings/doors, and works with current ceiling lights.

-paint or stain doors a color that works with the large art piece. My preference would be to paint the doors same as wall color. Then add a slight color tint to ceiling paint that ties into the art work at the end of the hall.

-remove Baskets on the wall. Conflicting style with lighting.

-Consider recessed ceiling lights.

-replace carpet with wood flooring -run right to left - go with a natural wood tone vs grey.

I need more pictures of the bar but right off I don’t like the attention drawn to the half wall with all the trim. And the step up the where the barstools are looks like a tripping hazard.

Raynece Million thanked jordanmicayla
  • housegal200
    last year

Refinish the doors and trim in existing stain. What makes the space look cold is the popcorn ceiling, harsh lighting, harsh high-contrast white paint, which needs to be a warmer white, carpeting. When you go hardwood, get varieted light and dark planks to harmonize with the wood doors/trim, etc. but light golden planks to add warmth and light. Here's a good example:

Mid-Century Remodel · More Info

Northgate Family Room · More Info

Maricara · More Info

Whatever this warm white paint color is would look beautiful with your wood finishes

Living Room · More Info

Raynece Million thanked housegal200
  • Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

Also, i hate the popcorn ceiling as well!! that will be removed before hardwoods are installed! just an fyi

• Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

And this is the same trim that is in the hallway, its just been painted in the hallway. so thats original

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I just want to say, that wood looks like mahogany. a veneer mahogany over the doors. trim too. it's NOT oak. Very rare they used mahogany. usually it was fir or birch, then stained.

For me, I'd scrape the popcorn, remove the wood crown (or paint that) decide what you're doing w/the walls and flooring, and hold off on the wood doors/trim.

This is for sure mahogany. AND, if you remove the hardware, take some 0000 steel wool and some liquid brasso or BarKeepers friend, you will find beautiful shiny brass underneath 60 years of tarnish! those will actually be beautiful. I'd keep those. (door knobs and plate too)

The wood can be refinished very carefully. it's a veneer, so very thin around the edges. sand too hard and it will burn away.

Remove the doors to the garage. lightly sand or strip off old finish. mahogany doesn't really need a stain. get it down to raw wood and apply a clear coat sealer. should be all that's needed to make those look brand new.

The trim is a personal choice. you can leave the wood doors and paint the trim if you like. just depends on the look you're going for

black trim would look very cool w/this wood and white walls

Raynece Million thanked Beth H. :
  • Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all so much for your input and advice! I have found, through some of the advised websites, a sample of what I like. But it still requires painting the trim of the door. Let me know what you all think. And here’s a little more context. When we purchased the house in June 2020, we were honestly just trying to get into the house. We had been living with my mother since January 2020 and the closing process took much longer than anticipated due to the age of the seller. He left us with five of the largest trash loads of his belongings And he had not cared properly for the house in over several years. The house is over 4000 ft.² on a 1 acre lot and also has a 64,000 gallon pool! The house needed new electrical, new plumbing, new HVAC, work done to the pool and basically a lot of things just to get it functioning properly. So we did not have the budget that we thought we would have to make it as pretty as we would like. As for the textured walls, I can’t stand them! And I should have followed my gut. When we started peeling the wallpaper, we found over seven layers of wallpaper. And after trying our best to remove everything there were still so many imperfections in the wall that the contractor suggested going with a textured finish. I followed his advice and then quickly learned I didn’t like it. Is there a way to make walls smooth after adding texture? Also, I have been a real estate agent for nine years. And my hesitation regarding painting the doors has been the wear and tear that I notice on painted doors in homes that I visit. In the picture that Im attaching below of the example that I liked, I don’t know if my hardware will be able to be changed since my hardware all my doors seem to be more towards the center of the door rather than its normal location. let me know your thoughts. The popcorn ceiling will be removed before the hardwoods get installed. There is no other flooring under the carpet. We are the ones that replace the carpet and there is just concrete. We honestly were just trying to get in. My daughter was starting homeschool in August 2020 and we were rushing to get in. We are in our early 30s and we feel this is our forever home so we knew we could make it what we want over time. We just need a little guidance!!And also for context, I have three young daughters so I still want practical living For kids. I’m also attaching other pictures in the house of MCM features that have not been touched! There’s a ton of stuff that we really liked and we knew we wanted to keep. My oldest daughter was very adamant that we not touch her bathroom. See pictures below

• Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

Also, bar was added by 2nd owner in 2009. the original owner (who built it) family has come by so we have a lot of info on the house

• PRO
    Max Painting and Finishes
    last year

Repaint!!

Raynece Million thanked Max Painting and Finishes
  • Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

• Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

Also, I have not did much decorating at all to the hallway. I realize I need artwork. I’ve just been waiting for the right artwork to really speak to me and I just haven’t found anything. And there is not a hamper at the end of the hallway that’s actually a trashcan. My six month old daughter‘s bedroom is right outside the door and I just have that there drop her diaper there and change it out every night. So don’t pay attention to that! And yes, the ceilings are very low. Our last house had 12 foot ceilings so this 8 foot ceiling life, I’m still trying to get used to. But again, we are working with what we have

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

yeah, bar, popcorn ceiling, black tile, and weird wall panels, all need to go.

Pink tile, blue tub/sink, vanity is original. up to you if you want to keep it.

did you see my first post about the wood doors/hardware?

Raynece Million thanked Beth H. :
  • Raynece Million
    Original Author
    last year

Yes i did! and the picture you posted was my new inspiration i had saved!! i really like the hardware i have but i really like the black hardware in that photo! just dont know if any other hardware would work since the original hardware isnt in a normal location.

and actually all things listed above (minus the bar) are original! i have the original photos

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

the hardware on the raised closet doors are prob original and would look cool all polished. I remember those raised closets. my parents had one in their bedroom w/pullout drawers right above the floor.

• jordanmicayla
    last year

I’m a big proponent of working with what you have. I hope I didn’t offend - I was just trying to point out simple ways to create more positive impact in your hall with one main focal point. I do get the need for the trash can near children’s rooms - form and function. All of us with kids have been there.

8’ ceilings can still be worked with easily. Larger base boards and crown mounding actually help. The chair rail reduces visual height. As does the current light fixture Mounding styles can set the tone - classical, modern, craftsman etc. it’s also a DIY thing that can save you dollars - prices on lumber materials/trim are slowly coming down.

Just as an aside - hang in there! Your home has great bones. Renovating with a little one is hard. You’re doing a great job. I remember installing baseboards with my 18 month old in my lap - he of course had to have his hands overlapping mine to help. I looked away for a split second and he wrestled the drill from my hands and drilled straight through the drywall - leaving half the body of the drill sunk into the wall cavity. I can laugh about in now.

• jordanmicayla
    last year

PS i agree with your concerns about painting the doors now that I read you have 3 young children. There are some awesome stain colors you can go with which will be durable and attractive.

Resale is important but should not override loving everything about your house’s renovations even if they are not conventional - especially if this is your forever home!

love your space and let it bring a smile to you're face everyday.

• palimpsest
    last year

This house is late Moderne rather than midcentury modern, although a midcentury modern house of the same age might have the same sort of bathrooms. People talk about midcentury modern style bathrooms all the time, but most of the time the bathroom looked like a bathroom in any 1950s house. And how that looked usually had something to do with how large or expensive the house was .

The black bath with the recessed Hall-Mack soap dish/cup holders is probably original as well. That's a very unusual sink with integral spout and side mounted handles.

• Kari Lindsay
    last year

Eeek!!! ( That's a squeal of joy) All that original detail is so awesome! Seeing the front door 💕, you HAVE to keep the doors and restore the wood and hardware! I want to love the original tile in the bathroom…but I don't. Having said that; I did recently see where a designer used wall paper in an original bathroom that had pink fixtures with pink and burgundy tile and it looked really terrific! The bathroom sinks are great, if you choose to renovated the bathrooms you could reuse them, have the blue ones reglazed. I don't believe you can choose a stain for the doors until you know what the finish is on the floors. I looked into smoothing the textured walls when I renovated my last house. I was told that I they could skim coat, but it would be more affordable to cover the walls using 1/4 inch drywall. I ended up living with the walls because of budget, my house was a vintage mediterranean, so textured walls didn't look out of place.

Now I live in a mcm townhome had cosmetic renovations by previous owners to be beach cottage, while the structure still is obviously mid century…when I get to renovate I want to take it back to it's mid century vibe, though I will never get those mid century finishes back...so sad.

• oldhouseguru
    last year

Wow, those bathrooms look custom, very well appointed and intact from the pictures. The sink with the side handles and integrated faucet is a Crane. DEA Bath in CA can provide parts. Never let a plumber insist you need to replace a sink or toilet. If the ceramic isn't cracked or broken a good plumber can take the time to repair or replace the working parts carefully. Having mismatched fixtures in a bathroom strikes an off note - a white toilet in an all pink bathroom is just sad. There are water saving flush and fill valves that can go into old toilets.

These bathrooms were made to last a very long time and almost nothing new, no matter how pretty it looks in the pictures is going to be as easy to keep clean and maintain or last as long. You're young and these bathrooms and the other details of the house are now 'vintage'. But within a few years they will be rarer antiques. It is unfortunate that there is a rage for gutting old houses that are 'dated' rather than looking beyond trend to see what has the merit of good design or durability from prior eras.

I adore the front door with the porthole window. The deep offset knob with a large escutcheon (shield or backplate) was a very high fashion, swanky feature of that era turning the knobset into an ornament rather than just a prosaic functional item. Whatever original you can just clean, repair or keep as is will be the least costly and often most durable way to do things.

Yes, texture finish can be removed. It is quite labor intensive. Depending on how it was applied there are various techniques. I've had to use large naval style scrapers (the blades on these are at right handles to the handle so you can pull or drag them down the wall, much easier than using a putty knife to try to get under the texture) to get off whatever I could. If it is made of joint compound after some of the paint is scraped off it may soften up some with water or a mix of vinegar and hot water sprayed on it, left to soak about 15 minutes. Paint stores may have proprietary chemicals or treatments for removing it or have recommendations, ask at a good store. Usually once as much is scraped off as possible and any that comes off from wetting or washing and further scraping is off the walls can be skim coated with joint compound to render them smooth again. If you might like to use something textured such as grass cloth or string cloth on the walls and you don't have strong light directly on them such coverings will help minimize any remaining imperfections. Great luck, what a cool project!

• Suzanne Seale
    last year

That's strange-looking. The front door height and closet height difference so close together. I would open up that wall cabinet, take off doors and make it a entry cubby, coat rack. People are saying to get rid of the chair rail. I know that would be more work than is imaginable. Chair rails are supposed to draw your eye to the edges of the wall to make the room look bigger.. Because of the length of the hallway, I'd try to figure out how to make it seem less long and narrow.

If you got rid of the closet doors and made it a white cubby, you could keep the doors the orginal color. Just use a touch up pen where ever needed. You're absolutely right about painting them. They will get chipped. Real wood takes a beating.

I'd say, don't focus on the details. If you have a pimple on your face, you can distract from it by using mascara and lipstick. So stop thinking of taking out the chairrail and worrying about textured walls. Think of why the last owner chose what she did. She saw the weirdness of that closet and distracted with wallpaper. Her paint choices coordinated with that color to make th closet blend in as much as possible. Painting the bottom a different color will draw the eye to the edges and cut the ceiling height. Though it has short ceilings, the hallway is much taller than wide.

Try to love the house you bought. You have 3 kids, they will need attention. Pick your battles.

• Jack Turner
    last year

The black tile is cool! That elevated door though. It's pretty massive and unattractive. Since it has little architectural appeal, I would paint that one out. That is, I would paint it the same color as the wall it's on. The knockdown wall texture is a beast. I think I would research how to scrape it off (not easy), or if your budget allows, have a plaster guy cover it up. If you chose the latter, you could pull off that chair railing beforehand. That way, he could cover up the gap left by it also.

• rainigirl
    last year

Wow!! You have quite a project ahead of you...remember Rome wasn't built in a day. I love! love! love! those gorgeous bathrooms. This has been a great thread. Have fun!!

• HU-390932142
    last year

These wood doors should stay as they are beautiful. The lighting is bad and the carpet. White or canvas white walls, ultra white ceilings and wood flooring or cement tiles in taupe plus light rack/rail would make this hallway stunning.

• apple_pie_order
    last year

1- If you'd like some comments on repairing or replacing the scratched wood trim, please show some photos. Include a finger or coin for scale.

2- Do you like the 2 year old bright white paint and "daylight" lighting or would you prefer a softer, warmer look eventually?

• Suzanne Seale
    last year

It's a weird space with different heights and narrow, long, tall areas. Though I like the brightness of the white walls, the bottom could be painted a different color to shorten the ceiling. A good solution would fix/hide these. Maybe get a white diaper pail at the end of the hall, so it's not the focal point. Flooring could match what's in the next room.

• hefu
    last year

I love wood and for the sake of minimizing your carbon footprint, I suggest that you refurbish rather than replace. You can try simply using a clear finish on sanded wood, but with little sheen (say 20%) or you might want to go a little darker. If so, I would use a warm honey color (but beware of going red). You could try testing colors and strengths before committing. It is always good to view samples in the actual space. In terms of all that bright white paint, I suggest you instead use a slight off white with a peach glow. It will make the space warmer and work better with the warm wood. And please switch out the cool white lighting as the bulbs burn out (it looks fluorescent). Use bulbs up to 3000 only. Congratulations and good luck!

• Suzanne Seale
    last year

That's clear polyurathane on that wood. You can touch up the scratches. The wood matches the rest of the house, so keep it.

• lorisonfeier
    last year

I just watched an episode of Help I Wrecked My House on HGTV. The project was so similar to yours with the mid-century wood trim and doors. It appeared that they stained the trim and doors slightly darker so they would not appear orange and then stained the original wood floors a new lighter color that complimented the trim and doors. I know you said that you don't have wood under the carpet but you could pick a complimentary shade when you replace the floors. She did take out the built in wooden closet in the main bedroom and incorporated that space into the bathroom. Then sectioned off another area in the bedroom to create a small walk-in closet. The renovation came out great! Good luck!

• jordanmicayla
    last year

Love everyones tecommendations i keep asking myself ”What is your style? what do you envission for the end product and what style?”

• Suzanne Seale
    last year

The house determines the style. It already has a style and our opinions as owners are limited. It's like a child. They have a personality and we have to bring out the best. My ex wanted to take our newly purchased house and cover the brick with clapboard, paint hallways shiny paint and add purple carpet. It's a craftsman house. At some point, you have to say, why did I buy THIS house? Did I love it? The previous owner obviously liked Hollywood Regency Glam. I would look at houses of that period restored to what they were meant to be. In the end, you will be happiest. If you want to inject your own style, it's best to get a condo with no existing personality. But still you will have to take into account it's location, outside aspects. Find the commonalities between your style and the house's style. Try to remember what you loved about the house when you bought it.

• Laura Grosmaire
    last year

Just a quick post to say we have a 1980's home with similar trim (and floor to ceiling built in oak cabinets in kitchen/dining room). We left the window/door frames/doors (our doors are knobbed variety) the same and replaced with slightly higher (2.5 in vs 2 in) baseboards painted off white semi-gloss to match the flat latex walls. The added height is slightly more "classic" looking and the effect is to almost to create a frame for the doors. It works for us.

• Suzanne Seale
    last year

Would you post pictures if anyone has suggestions?

• Sarah Flowers
    last year

A few thoughts to take or leave 😊

My votes are:

You could consider replacing or painting the trim around the doors/ windows.

Definitely remove the bar.

Wall paper:

for the front entry, how about some vinyl removable wall paper in a fun late moderne pattern that downplays the stark contrast between the wood and white? You may find that the contrast or “overwhelming oak” fades away given the proper wall treatment.

For the bathroom:
    Totally agree about wallpaper that someone else mentioned. If you want to preserve the tile, and it is fab!, then try that. Again, removable means you’re not making a permanent commitment.

Good luck! What great personality you are working with. (-:

• PRO
    EzLightWraps
    last year

You asked for ideas so here are mine (based on quick and cost effective) Use old english scratch cover FIRST on all the woodwork scratches and see if that does not solve your problem immediately. We JUST refreshed a 1960's home and it was AMAZING. Took minutes.

take the chair rail out of the hallway, paint a warmer FLAT paint. FLAT will make a huge difference as not as reflective. I'd go with a bit of a neutral greige because the wood won't look as stark and you have so much light. Also take off what hardware you can and clean, spraypaint a matte black finish or bronze to update and refresh and match your lighting. Keep those mid century details!

I'd so love to see you take out the carpet but I'm thinking you just put it in. Lucky you!

This before and after was Old english Scratch cover for dark wood and then some walnut stain sorry for the poor photo quality

I do not have the after photo to show what a difference! The door was put on and it is a small bath but looked completely clean and smooth finish - under 5 minutes.