SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

On the MD's Checklist for Senior Patients

chisue
last year

"Have you fallen in the past year?"

I've always been able to say no, but that changed today. I tripped over a curb in a parking lot, went down face first, and drew an instant audience of Good Samaritans, most asking the ridiculous question, "Are you OK?" Umm..."Do I look OK?"

Ten people materialized out of nowhere. "Do you need an ambulance?" "Can I call someone for you?" (DH must have been invisible, kneeling down to help me.) One woman couldn't stop talking, telling me that her mother had shoes like mine (Merrells), and they were dangerous, and I should buy some with velcro straps -- like her mother did.

It was quite the little drama. One lovely young man stood nearby, saying nothing, but when I was ready, he lifted me to my feet like I was a feather. Once we could disentangle ourselves from Mrs. Helpful, DH got me into our car and we started for home.

A Costco was only a few miles away. DH dropped me at the door and I hit the ice dispenser at the drinks station to chill my knees. The place was a madhouse on a Sunday before Halloween, but an employee noticed me and brought me two chemical ice packs. DH came in to collect me, and we got home.

I know I'll be pretty sore tomorrow, but now I just look like a battered wife -- bruises on my left cheekbone and chin. No lacerations, and I'm hoping the ice has forestalled the worst for my knees. At least I didn't break my glasses.

<Sigh> There goes my 'no falls' record.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES