SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_hopler

Thoughts on this rug?

last year
last modified: last year

i know i‘d need to go up a size, but does this rug (pottery barn capitola in gray) otherwise work in my living room? If not, PB alternatives that might be a better fit?

*ignore the lamps, i’ll update the rest of the room once i settle on a rug*

Comments (64)

• PRO
    last year

I think those pattern rugs are really competing with your upholstered chair print and making the room dark…I would go lighter to brighten the room. Allow the chair print to be an accent add a coffee table new lamp…add some color with new pillows on the sofa maybe a colorful throw.

a_hopler thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • last year

These are photos of the rest of our downstairs… random smattering of furniture that i’m trying to tie together with new coordinating rugs and then decor. Ruggables in kitchen/dining will be replaced.

i love those coastal examples and my paint colors are very coastal, but am not sure i can pull it off amongst the mission-style dining furniture?

• Related Discussions

Thoughts on... area rug on top of carpet?

Q

Comments (3)
    Be sure you get the right pad for under the area rug. My mother had a large oriental she wanted to use over the carpet in her apt - we went through several pads before getting one where the rug didn't "walk" or bunch up. I don't remember what we ended up with (she's been gone now for over 20 years), but I think it had a sticky coating on both sides. Talk to an oriental rug dealer for ideas.
    ...See More

Thoughts on area rug materials?

Q

Comments (2)
    I agree with Lindsay that wool is by far my favorite for rugs in living and dining areas. However, they are the most expensive, so depending on your budget you might look into PET, a synthetic made from recycled plastic. It sounds very weird, but I just purchased one from Annie Selke and it looks and feels just like wool. It is also indoor/outdoor and can be washed with soap and water. Sisal, sea grass and jute are also great looks at reasonable prices. I wouldn't use them under a dining table since they can stain and are more difficult to vacuum. Sisal and sea grass are also not comfortable to walk on in bare feet. Jute is a bit softer underfoot. Many designers use large sized sisal/jute rugs under smaller, more expensive wool rugs.
    ...See More

Thoughts on this rug?

Q

Comments (6)
    It works for a retro look if that's what you're going for. Here are some alternate options. I would also check to see what type of bulbs are in the downlights. Make sure they are not R Bulbs. A Halogen PAR bulb could provide a better quality light for the room.
    ...See More

Thoughts on this Rug for Our Master Bedroom?

Q

Comments (1)
    not a pro. The items that you show appear to me to be glam or more polished and stylish than the rug is. I think you can do better. And yes you need a 9 x 12 to use with a king sized bed. A king bed is roughly 6 1/2 ft wide by 7 ft long. so this will give you approximately a 3 ft border around your bed.
    ...See More
  • last year

Lovely dining room rug! I feel even more now you need color and pattern in your piano room. A pretty, inviting, and cozy look. :)

• PRO
    last year

The other rooms in your home are contemporary with light and bright feel..this room needs some lightness..the dining room needs lightness too that will blend better with the rest of your home.

• PRO
    last year

Beautiful and would flow from the other rooms in your home.

• PRO
    last year

I think the light rug the first pattern one jinx posted would be lovely in the dining room.

• last year

I completely agree with Jinx. You need more vibrancy, not monochromatic elements that do little to warm your space. Love your dining room rug, and I think the PB Sarina would look fabulous in the piano room.

• last year

What is the rug that is rolled up in the corner of your dining room???? It looks promising! Have you tried your dining room rug in your living room, just for an idea of how the color will add some vibrancy to the room.

• PRO
    last year

Nothing wrong with the size of your rug. Here are some examples of how the room could look with a bit more pattern and color

I like the rugs that pick up the wood tone in the room & are a soft blue to work with both your sofa and chair.

I don't think red is the direction to head.

a_hopler thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    last year

Your room has space and yet you jam the end table and sofa against the corner and the wall.

IMO the room could benefit from the layout I propose below. All your furnishings should have space around them so the room appears larger visually. This layout also makes it easier to enter from the dining room (?) I'd also suggest drapery panels for your windows. They do not have to be operable, but the texture and color should help the overall appearance of the room.

• last year

I too like the current rug as it lightens the room and it feels updated to me...sounds like you want to bring in a more coastal feeling.  A few lighter accessories and textures will help bring it together...HIWEs inspo pics aren't coastal per se IMO, they combine multiple elements to make a light and bright room.

• last year

Ive tried the alternate layout, and would definitely prefer it if it worked, but unfortunately that chair works best in a corner, it it’s quite large/tall. i plan to put some pouf ottomans under the windows to help fill the space. i‘ll also be redoing end tables, lamps, adding art/drapes once i have the rug finalized

• last year

I thought I read somewhere that you liked coastal but didn't think it would work.  And that you had coastal wall colors.  Thats why I said I liked the lighter more neutral rug in the living room.  Yes yes yes, go with the look you want.  Sorry if I misinterpreted the comment.  I also see your dining room and its more mission look and trying to coordinate it all.  I think it can be combined and to me you are already doing it..  The rug in the dining room is a bold look and to me i would go more neutral in the living area so you don't have two much pattern in two rugs near each other.  But, thats just one person's opinion and agree there's multiple options.

• last year

Theresa, i didn’t think anything negative about your comment at all, i appreciate all suggestions because im slowly learning but still mostly clueless!

my dining room rug is an old ruggable and will probably be changed out once i settle on the living room rug!

• PRO
    last year

Is your dining room right off this light contemporary kitchen?

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    last year

I would have your eat in table light relocated so you can center your table.

• last year

Try to keep in mind the recommendations above. Some have tried to steer you out of Blahsville. Color, pattern, and warmth are your friends and will give life to your space.

• last year

Yes, dining room is off the kitchen through the doorway past the fridge. I’m getting rid of the blue ruggable, probably switching to a gray round rug. We need to redo the kitchen light fixtures but probaby will keep the table off-center to maintain a walkway. Kitchen is open to the family room

• PRO
    last year

Seems you love gray white and blue…Coral is a pretty color to accent with if you want something stronger in the dining room…maybe a touch in the piano room…but I would keep everything flowing with the other rooms …it is very nice has a calm feel..lovely contemporary style.

• PRO
    last year

Wondering if you plan to keep the sofa in this room? I would decide on furnishings before rug. Lots of rugs out there but furniture harder. So might want to think through furniture first. This room could be a lovely “music” room with chairs rather than a sofa?

• last year

Yeah i think sofa is staying for now. i agree chairs would look better though! my husband’s mom has mobility issues and all our bedrooms are upstairs, so since it’s a pull-out she has an option if stairs ever become a no-go. plus it’s his from his first ”grownup” apartment and he has a hard time getting rid of stuff, so i have to pick my battles!

• last year

Would one of these Ralph Laurens work, or too similar to wall color? I think theyre gray with navy, white, and brown

• PRO
    last year

Any of those rugs will work. Until you need to use the sleeper sofa rearrange the room for best other function. Besides, at the age of that sleeper sofa, I can’t imagine the “mattress” is at all comfortable. A twin size sleeper might work better for mom and everyday living.

• last year

I agree 100%, husband is a harder sell. His feathers get really ruffled when i suggest replacing any furniture that was his before we got married.

• PRO
    last year

Yes love all the last light rugs you posted very subtle and does not compete with chair fabric.

• last year

Whew! That was close!

(I’m just teasing, OP. That’s not directed at you.) 😁

• last year

Anyway, I like them if you do, but not as much as bringing in more color.

Mock-ups tend to be washed-out on the rug sites, I hope it wouldn’t be quite so bright in person.

• PRO
    last year

Have fun with pillows and accessories..it will be a lovely room…dining room would be a nice spot for a new rug with a bit of color that pulls all the blue shades…gray and neutrals together with a accent color you would like to introduce into your home. Will the wood mission style dining room table and chairs be staying?

• last year

i’m hoping the rug is less washed out in person, but i get free returns @ overstock so worth a shot! dining room table was husband’s pre-marriage and mil bought the matching hutch as a wedding gift, so theyre here to stay

• last year

I think it will be fine. I’ve ordered so many rugs for myself and clients online — only one was lighter in person than the photos showed. The rest were much nicer in person.

Show us when it gets there! :)

• last year

I failed the color pop test earlier but maybe one of these is more on the right track? We gave a green console in our foyer

• PRO
    last year

I feel like those make the room look very dated..color can come into a space without having it in a rug..it really needs light and bright simple design…use color in other ways around the space.

• last year

Those are beautiful! Not dated at all, just more traditional. Love the depth and interest they bring in. So lovely, especially when you add more colors and patterns with pillows and such. A wonderful layered and warm look.

No right or wrong here, just opinions from strangers. You stated early on you’d prefer an Oriental rug. Do what makes you happy. :)

• PRO
    last year

With the upright piano and more colonial traditional print chair you need to add something less traditional so it can flow into the other parts of your home…more contemporary….even if you add color I think the rug should feel more modern in the print/pattern

• last year

You have a nice mix of transitional in your house, this room can flow just fine if you decide on an Oriental style rug.

Your room doesn’t have to look like every other room that gets suggested here daily. It should reflect you and your taste, not a generic staged room.

• PRO
    last year

Maybe in this direction…of course want it to reflect you..that is why I am making suggestion that match your selection and taste in your in your home that you obviously like.

a_hopler thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • last year

Out of the ones you posted, OP, I like the first one best, but do like the others, too. I think your idea of adding some green is a good one.

Which is your favorite?

(I don’t think the rug you choose needs to closely match your barstools.)

• PRO
  • last year

I meant to ask if you’re planning on curtains in there?

The rugs you showed would look very nice with the lovely one seen from this room (the one in your dining room). I like the direction you’re headed, you have very good taste.

• PRO
    last year

I have done my best to guide you with over 25 years of design. Maybe a bit more input from you will help…what colors you would love to add into that room…or is it just blue and green? maybe purchase new tables and lamps so we can get a better vibe of the direction you would like to go in…enjoy….I am sure it will be very nice.

• last year

Not all pros use a pro account here. :)

Why does it bother you so much if others give differing suggestions, Julie? I’ve noticed it on other threads, too. Like the time you got testy and asked an OP who wasn’t taking your advice, but ‘liked“ someone else’s: ”Do you want to listen to these people or a real pro?”

That’s the beauty of these boards! It’s not a competition. Input from lots of people is great. I’ve enjoyed the brainstorming here, and I hope it’s helping the OP. :)

ETA:

OP — my apologies for veering off the topic.

Back to rugs! Agree with Julie, whatever you choose will no doubt look nice in there. Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

• last year

Thanks everyone!! Going to visit some local rug stores this weekend and see what i can find in-person. Appreciate all the help guiding me towards what to look for!

• last year

Oh, fun! I’m a rug fanatic, you should see my house. :D (I used to work for a rug company when I was young.)

Hope you find what turns out to be The One!

• PRO
    last year

Nothing is bothering me never even mentioned your name..was giving my opinion just like you and very strong opinion too…you obviously don’t like me to give suggestions opposite of yours..not understanding the defensive attitude?..Just opinions. For some reason you seem to be unhappy that I don’t agree with you and calling me out by name……Sorry a_hopler. I have done nothing but give my opinion and suggestions.

• PRO
    last year

Rug shopping is always fun!

• PRO
    last year

Keep your whole house in mind when rug shopping. It’s hard! Lots of good choices but I think the room could use some color. Could be art over piano. But get rug first if you can. Might watch for art too. That could inform a rug selection.

• PRO
    last year

Don’t let nicci fool you. She has a impeccable approach to design and lovely way of putting things together. She echos my thoughts for your room too. Hope you found something today but don’t loose heart. Rugs are hard and you do have to try in your room. If you find a couple on line, order smallest size. Then you can assess colors, pattern and quality and if you don’t like it’s much easier return. 😊