SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccaday93

Can I remove the concrete along the side of my home?

Rebecca Day
last year

I have an interior brick rowhouse where the back half is not as wide as the front half (see the image as an example). In the backyard, essentially where I highlighted in pink in the floorplan image, is concrete. The rest of the yard is dirt and grass.

I do not know when the concrete was put in. It was here when I purchased the house in 2020. My next-door neighbor, whose home's footprint essentially mirrors mine and has a similar space, also has concrete here (though that house's concrete extends further into the yard than mine).

I'm thinking about putting dirt and grass here, or making it into some sort of garden that doesn't require much sun (as it's blocked on 3 sides by the houses) and/or a "catio" space. There are windows on 2 floors that look onto this space so I'd like it to be more attractive than it is currently.

My question is: can/should I remove the concrete, or can/should I just put a layer of dirt atop the concrete?

One other note: I believe there is at least one spot in the (unfinished) basement where you can see a glimpse of sunlight when looking up into the wall along the ceiling (and past various utility/structural features), so part of my consideration is whether it is better or worse for the house to potentially expose more of the sides of the house when there are maybe already openings to the outside...

Comments (5)