SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydragea

Should I paint my house? Remove a carport?

Hydragea
9 years ago

I find that my house is extremely drab and was wondering what I should do to improve the look. I was wondering whether paint would be the best bet, and if so, should I paint the brick, or just the siding? What should I do with the foundation plantings?

I plan to undertake a curb appeal project next summer, but am amassing ideas now.

Notes:
1. Although there are other houses like mine in my neighbourhood, mine is the only of its kind on the street. Other houses are mostly cape cod style 1950's houses.

2. Surrounding houses are not bright.

3. Carport is not original to the house. Was added in the 70's. It's a quality addition, but it blocks the view of the front door and makes it very cave-like under there. Kids are afraid to visit, and have said that my house is creepy. My significant other thinks I should remove the carport, which would not only make the front door more approachable, but would also enable me to put in a west-facing window on that side. But...I lose a carport, and I destroy something of quality.

4. Chimney was reconstructed at the top, which is why there is a difference in the brick colour.

5. Pics make the house look much more narrow than it actually is.

{{gwi:2137173}}

{{gwi:2137174}}

Comments (17)

• insteng
    9 years ago

Why don't you just remove the wall from the side of the carport? That way you can have a lot more light under there and still have the protection of the carport. It looks like it would be a major job to remove it completely.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I agree. Windows or a skylight would help under the carport area. A larger, more visible, more ornamental hanging light would, too.

I think the bushes are also post-mature and straggly looking. What is that hidden by the front of the car? A basement window?

I don't think it's creepy looking, and wouldn't let what kids think dictate a major renovation project.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Dec 29, 14 at 21:44

• Related Discussions

Should I paint my house? Remove a carport?

Q

Comments (1)
    Paint if you are doing it yourself and if the house really NEEDS it (severely cracked paint, exposed wood). Same with carport. I prefer to sell things as is because nearly everything you do will not return as much as it costs, and you are then doing what you like and not what the new owner might prefer. If anything, give an allowance for such things. There are numerous articles bragging about how you get a 80% return after spending 100% on improvements. And this is supposed to be good??? Not all realtors communicate very well, and the showing realtor may have never even talked to your realtor. I would have a flyer there at the property clearly discussing these allowances so you don't have to rely on 2nd hand accountings. Now if your market make things nearly impossible to sell, then maybe do some enhancements to have your home stand above. Of course with the allowances, it would be priced essentially lower than "market". You could price out the work with a contractor and pay out of earnest money for any work done before closing if they want a finished product. Or have the money for them at closing so they can do it themselves. Best of both worlds.
    ...See More

what color should I paint my house with red brick?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you all for the input! @hallettco, I appreciate the run down on what is involved with the trim, I had no idea it was that much work. Since we are at the end of the renovation that started in October, and they've already finished repairing the siding on the back, I don't think it is wise for us to start cutting up the siding! At least I know now to rule that out. It sounds like re: shutters that we should remove them from the horizontal windows and bay window (assuming that the brick looks ok underneath, we shall see). @Patricia Colwell and @houssaon, I'm curious what you mean about the size of the shutters? They are taller than the glass part of the windows, so I'm not sure how much bigger they could get?
    ...See More

What kind of gate should I use for the front of my carport?

Q

Comments (5)
    I like the idea of sitting space but won’t that look kind of strange from the street? And are you going to be parking in the driveway? How about something like these panels, painted to match the house?
    ...See More

What color should I paint the front of my house?

Q

Comments (6)
    It is a very charming house. I would remove the shutters and not replace. Your windows are nice and the shutters detract. The porch posts seem unnaturally orange. Is that stain? Could they be stained a darker color? I would repaint the house in a more friendly color. It’s pretty dull and drab. A strong navy with bold white trim?
    ...See More
  • funkycamper
    9 years ago

I agree with better lighting and either opening the wall or skylights. You wouldn't need to open the wall all the way to the back. Just to maybe about the same depth as your front door In addition to brighter lighting above, maybe some of those lighting fixtures that are about knee high that operate on a sensor to add more light as people approach, too?

Of course, you could paint the whole exterior if you like but I think there are other things you could do to make the porch more welcoming and friendly-looking. What if you just paint the wall inside the carport, to the left of the steps, a lighter color that is a good contrast to the rest of the exterior paint? Then paint the door a bright cheery color. Add a bright welcome mat to the porch in colors that coordinate with your new bright and cheery door color. And some decorations along the new lighter wall to the left. Maybe some decoration on your door as well. A nice Welcome sign, maybe? You don't need to take this so far that things like garish or tacky but just a few things could add some cheer to your entry.

I like a simple home like yours. Just a few touches that don't cost a lot can make a big difference.

• mag77
    9 years ago

The carport doesn't bother me; it's a big plus in rain and snow; you could open up the side wall for more light, but be careful or it will appear too weak to support the roof. I don't like foundation plantings, so I'd remove them and plant something away from the house. I think the biggest improvement for the least effort would be to paint the upper half of the chimney to match the siding. Actually, budget permitting, I'd paint the entire house a lighter color to tie everything together.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

carport???

looks more like covered stairs.. in the first pic ... where is the front door???

could we have a pic of the whole front.. from the street ?????

we first need to define what the whole is.. before we decide what to do about it ...

one thing for sure.. its either a very large covered front door.. or a covered porch.. but it isnt a carport .. in any sense of the word ...

ken

ps: i am surprised.. how close the house on the right is.. and wonder if there isnt some code violation on infringing on the lot line????

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    9 years ago

i definitely agree that ditching that carport will give you better curb appeal and more light.

if the practical considerations outweigh that.... so it goes. but i have no doubt the house will be more attractive without.

its a pretty cool mid century house, with a new fake mid century door painted in a nice accent color, the entry will be inviting.

one more thing about the house that makes it uninviting is that the entry is the driveway. if you have a budget someday, redoing the drive with concrete stairs along the side would go along way to making your house more inviting.

i also agree that the foundation plantings are a bit drab, i would redo them. i also like a bit of space between the house and foundation plantings, 3 feet or so, and I like softer plantings there. grasses, perennials, some small airy shrubs.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No time to respond right now, but thank you for all the great suggestions. Keep them coming, if there are any others.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there. Here is a mockup, with some of your suggestions. Notice that I painted the top of the chimney to match the rest. Do you think some sort of midcentury colour on top would be good? I find the pastel siding at the top so dreary with the brick...

{{gwi:2137175}}

@ken : Oh, it's a carport. A very small carport. One where you can barely get your car door open without banging a wall or a concrete stoop. I avoid parking there because the kids are not as careful as I am about opening car doors.

@everyone: Yes, the foundation plantings are worse in real life. Maybe I could put down some landscaping cloth and river rocks and maybe a row of boxwood or something? This is a north-facing house, and there's a huge maple out front, so not sure what will actually grow there.

@funkycamper: I really like the knee-high lights suggestion.
    {{gwi:2137176}}

@palimpsest: Yes, behind the car there is a basement window. I really like the idea of bigger light fixtures. There are actually two lights there. Could I do something like this:

{{gwi:2137177}}

@eeldip: I *love* the idea of putting in some sort of path, with stairs, along the driveway up to the door. I could put half-barrel flower pots along the stairs, and add some lights.

@everyone: In my heart, I would love to get rid of the carport and put in a big shed at the back instead for bikes, garbage cans, and garden tools. With the carport gone, I'd be able to put in a west-facing window, which would be so great for the north-facing living room. With the carport there, there is no point in putting in a west-facing window because the carport would block all the light to it.

I've talked to others about removing the carport, and they say it would be easy enough to do, as it has been fastened on to the existing roof (it looks integrated, but it's not).

Perhaps carport removal + west-facing window should be phase 2?

Phase 1 would be:
    - add stairs/walkway
    - knee-high lights and planters along walkway
    - bigger light fixtures
    - new foundation plantings
    - paint the top part something with some more oomph
    - paint the unmatched chimney brick to match the rest.

What do you think of the mockup and plan?

• Fori
    9 years ago

That little car doesn't fit!!?? :)

Well, I can't see enough of the house to know, but from my perspective, the carport is a cool design aspect. I'd be tempted to modify it--opening up the side would be a great start--but not eliminate it. Make that slinky roof work for you.

But you know the routine: Need More Pictures.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

That is a cute midcentury house. I like your mock up, but I might use a different hanging light...something that might fit more with a midcentury modern house. I think adding more lights and steps will be a big help. I agree with tying the fireplace in with the house.

I kind of like how the carport looks, but if you cant open car doors easily, it does not sound very functional. I think removing it in phase 2 plus adding the window is a great plan.

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yah, fori, my Fit ... doesn't !

Yes, I could take off the side panels of the carport. I'll take some more pics...

@rockybird: I don't really know what would be a better choice for a midcentury house. Do you mean chrome fixtures?

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some more pics. I'm a bit embarrassed as I'm currently doing a kitchen reno and there is a lot of garbage and debris there because of it.

{{gwi:2137178}}

Carport wall here is about 4' high. It is not a tall wall.

{{gwi:2137179}}

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I have to admit that I am terrible at selecting light fixtures.

Maybe something like a globe light (below), except make sure it is rated for exterior? I would recommend going to the decor forum and posting there. They are very good at selecting lights.

http://practicalprops.com/sales.html

{{gwi:2137180}}

[Midcentury Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/midcentury-modern-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2115) by Denver Design-Build Firms Design Platform

Here is a link that might be useful: light

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I like the mock-up a lot. You're off to a great start! I also prefer the style of outdoor light that rockybird suggested. That's a great MCM style. You might enjoy poking around at RetroRenovation. It's a website devoted to MCM design. There are tons of great ideas there and links to other good resources and vendors who sell period-accurate items. I bet you'll get more ideas if you do that.

Re the carport: Yikes! If a Honda Fit doesn't fit, what would? Maybe an Old Beetle, or a Metropolitan Nash, or the first teeny Honda Civics that came to the US, or an original Mini Cooper (much smaller than the new designs). And I bet even some of those wouldn't fit. Must have been for the kid's bikes?

Here's what I'd do with that carport. Even though it's not original, I like the roof line the carport gives your home. It's very in-keeping with MCM style. Remove the side wall. You may have to put in a couple more pillars for support. And then cut out an opening in the roof for more light. You could leave it open or put in a skylight, depending on your budget and the type of weather you have where you live. You might be able to get by with some clear plastic instead of an expensive skylight. Ya know, like the old corrugated fiberglass that they now make in a nice, clear plastic. You could also add some extra light fixtures in there for evenings.

This would add so much light to that space and make it more open and friendly and help bring in light if you put in a new window on that side..

Then treat it like a covered front porch. Put some outdoor furniture there, maybe even a porch swing. It could even be a great place for outdoor grilling when it's raining outside.

Oh, I would build a wall on the back for more privacy for your side/back yard. It could be a solid wall with a doorway or it could just be some lattice.

If you have sufficient outdoor living space on the back of the house and don't believe you'd use it much, you could still do something like that just to make the most of a space that is currently unusable but make it smaller by building a wall where the wall next to the front door is.

If you wanted some privacy while using the space, you could build a half-wall across the front.

Planting something like Wisteria to grow across the top-front of the roofline would look amazing.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. I hope some of them are useful to you. I think it could be quite a charming space with just a few simple changes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Renovation

• Hydragea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

funkycamper: I love your suggestions, thank you so much.
    I hadn't really considered treating the carport as a covered porch. That could be really quite nice, IF I get some light under there with skylights. Not sure what you mean about putting holes in the carport without glass...

This house, I was told, isn't really MCM...on the inside especially. But I think the carport sort of leans the house exterior in the MCM direction, so maybe I could do MCM style fixtures, as you are suggesting. That would be kind of fun.

Yes, I need a better fence on the side/back yard. I was thinking either a fence, or shoehorn in a shed for bikes/lawnmower/etc.

rockybird: I like that house you posted. I like the lighter grey colour with the white, orangy door, and touch of black around the windows.

I'm still seriously considering painting the whole house a lighter colour.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Even if your home isn't truly MCM, it sure fits the look on the outside and since it's trendy right now, fixtures like that are relatively easy to find. But that doesn't mean you have to go that direction. I would keep whatever you do to simple, clean lines as that matches your home's style.

Holes in the carport without glass: I simply meant a skylight hole without a skylight. Almost more like an atrium (a common MCM feature). I think this is very dependent on your climate. If you live in a dry climate, that would work. If not, you probably want a real skylight there so it's usable on warm, rainy days.

I'm just big on creating usable outdoor living spaces with features that extend your ability to use it longer into the shoulder seasons. I'd rather be outside whenever possible. We hope to build a pergola over part of our patio next summer (if we finish our other projects in time). A covered area with a propane heater will allow us to be outside much earlier in the spring and later in the fall and still be warm and comfortable. We're also adding outdoor lighting and outdoor plugs so the laptop can plug in and I'm not bound by battery life or leaving a door open to run an extension cord. If that interests you, you could easily do the same in that space.

• llucy
    9 years ago

Since the carport is so close to the house next door, I would want to retain the wall for privacy from the neighbors.

Have you considered enclosing the space? You might be able to make a cheery and functional entry/ mud room/ storage space out of it.

The stairs aren't very attractive. Could you replace those? Paint them? Perhaps do a decorative surround for the basement window?

I like the roofline of this house, but the carport itself kinda looks like a big, unfinished shed. Making it perfect for any number of creative ideas.