last year

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

Another witch!

Raise your hand if you started humming?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    last year

Turns out you can buy a birthday cake at anytime and eat it yourself. Nobody checks.

• Jasdip
    last year

• dedtired
    last year

• Rusty
    last year

Rusty

• joyfulguy
    last year

Greetings Jim ... with the buy and eat a birthday cake at any time story.

Daughter called a few weeks ago saying that the border is now open, so she and hubby are coming from Georgia for a visit - first in four years, mainly due to covid.

When she took me to my church, during social time after church we recalled her celebrating my 90th birthday at her B 'n B on her visit four years ago, with some church friends present.

At the party I'd reported being worried that, my birthday being 6 mos. in the future, I didn't dare die in the meantime or I'd not be keeping my end of the bargain.

When the cake came out, it said "89.5" so I rejoiced, being off the hook!

A week later, the guests from church brought a cake to social hour, also saying "89.5", producing some fun.

As it did again now, 4 years later, as their project was recalled with my daughter.

This time she had one for her brother, with birthday in 10 days, labelled "60.96"!

His birthday is "11-2" and hers "11-22" ... a few years later.

ole joyfuelled

• chloebud
    last year

@eld6161, lol…🙋🏼‍♀️!

• Olychick
    last year

I don’t know eld’s? I’m not much of a movie fan so am imagining it’s from a movie since there’s a song involved?

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Wizard of OZ is the movie. The lady on the bike became the wicked witch in Dorothy's "dream". But I can't recall the song I am supposed to hum unless it is the "ding-dong the witch is dead" song.

• dedtired
    last year

Da duh da duh da DAH da. LOL.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Jaws theme song? LOL

• Olychick
    last year

Thanks Lonejack. I tried to watch that movie as a kid and really hated it so I would never have gotten the reference!

• eld6161
    last year

Oly so interesting, the different perspectives. I grew up waiting to see the Wizard of Oz when it was shown once a year.

Fast forward, I bought the DVD and my DD’s watched it often.

• lat62
    last year

Giving it away….

• kathyg_in_mi
    last year

• Olychick
    last year

Eld I tried several times, but the whole thing just creeped me out. Plus I never liked Judy Garland, so there was that, lol.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last year

Thanks Lat62! I remember it now, Didn't she try to kidnap Toto too? I haven't watched it in at least 3 decades!

• colleenoz
    last year

She did. She put Toto into that little basket on the back of her bike after she complained to Aunt Em that he had bitten her or something. But Toto slipped out on the ride back to town and ran home to Dorothy. This is what prompted Dorothy to run away from home and started the adventure off.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Olychick, so sorry. It's one of my favorite movies and I think one of the best ever made. Love how they made all the Kansas shots in the sepia tones, but Oz in brilliant colors. Plus so many favorite scenes, especially when the witches feet disappear under the house and she acquires the ruby slippers. And of course when she melts. Plus the message with her awakening to the power she had inside herself all along.

So many quotes too: "I'll get you my little pretty!" "Toto, I've got a feeling we aren't in Kansas any more." "Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!" "There's no place like home."

Then the whole story line about Dorothy's awakening to finding out she has the power all along. I found this interesting article about various interpretations of the true meaning behind the Wizard of Oz and am amazed that such a story still provides speculation and analysis these many years later. https://www.vulture.com/2013/03/wizard-of-oz-theories-gold-standard-feminist-religion-jung.html

• Zoe 29
    last year

I loved it and looked forward to watching it every year too. My husband, however, hated it. His brother used to call me anytime it was on TV and tell me to hurry and switch to whatever channel it was on, just to mess with my husband.

• bengardening
    last year

My daughter was afraid of the monkeys in the show so she hated the novie, I nrvrt found that out until years later

• caflowerluver
    last year

I hated the monkeys too. They gave me nightmares. I haven't watched it since I was a kid. Loved the song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, though.

• Elizabeth
    last year

Glenda was not such a good witch, was she? She knew all along all Dorothy had to do was clap her heels and say "There's no place like home", but she let her go though this long grueling trip to Oz.

So, bah humbug :-)

• lat62
    last year

My family watched it every year too, and my brother was sooo trumatized, he'd run and hide under the kitchen table.

Different times... I showed it to my kids, who liked it but weren't scared at all.... Harry Potter was the scary 'zeitgeist' in those days, early 2000s.

• colleenoz
    last year

Glinda the Good Witch of the North knew that Dorothy needed self confidence and really wanted to go home before the spell would work.

• dedtired
    last year

Those flying monkeys scared the living daylights out of me and my kids, too.

• olychick
    last year

Yep, maybe that's why I also dislike monkeys, lol. I remember a discussion here about this in the past where I mentioned I was always creeped out by adults playing the roles of children and a lively discussion about the age of Dorothy and the age of Judy in the role, etc. To my child's eye, she was an adult playing the part of a child and it gave me the weeby jeebies. Maybe they should have cast Shirley Temple, lol (for me).

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource