SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Real estate listings - reaction to decor

3katz4me
last year

I've been looking at some listings lately from the perspective of buying rather than just looking for fun. I realize I am very turned off by the decor and conversely really like a place if I like the decor. I have to force myself to keep looking at photos and consider a listing and try to look beyond the decor. As I've mentioned, I don't necessarily mind if something is dated if I like it. It's more the fussy traditional decor like window treatments and even paint color. I know this is dumb because these things are easily changed - just take those gawd awful draperies down and paint those yellow walls. Or get some warm paint color in that whitewashed interior. But my initial reaction is - yuck! Or if I like the decor I get this warm, happy feeling that I could move right in there - a feeling I don't get from the overly depersonalized and neutralized decor.

So all this made me wonder about you decor mavens. I bet you look would look at such listings and see right past all that and envision a thing of beauty to your own liking. True?

Comments (30)