SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njlibrarian

Am I wrong or does this look terrible (siding)?

njlibrarian
last year
last modified: last year

The contractor is just finishing up my siding project. Used CertainTeed Cedar Impressions 7" siding. Came home from work and saw this.

I assume that wide black strip is flashing?

I think it looks horrible, as if they ran out of the siding and didn't bother to finish. When I stand on that side of the house anywhere except very close to the porch, it is glaringly obvious and the eye constantly goes straight to it, while the brain asks, WTF?

My old siding did not look like this. From the ground, it just looked like siding, although I know there was flashing.

I am paying a good amount for this work. They were far from the cheapest, and I know they work on a lot fancier houses than mine.

Is this acceptable? I would like to ask them to fix it before they finish gutters, etc. and want the final installment, and I'm afraid I'm going to hear from them, "It's fine, lady. You can get someone to paint it if you don't like the color." Even if this amount of exposed flashing were normal, why in heck would someone put a huge strip of black on a pale grey house?

I would love to get some feedback. They came highly recommended from a colleague who has used them for multiple projects.

Comments (9)