SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

Spacing for a mixed variety of trees

bart bart
last year

Spacing is always a problem for me. I look on Internet but can't find any precise answer to my own issues; mostly I just find information about spacing fruit trees for an orchard, or spacing to prevent fire hazard, or spacing from power lines, etc . My garden is out in a woodland, with no house or anything; I want to plant trees to provide shade and add beauty and variety. I have a lot of roses already, but here in Tuscany, Italy, roses are NOT full-sun plants by any means; the summer sun is just way too hot (my guess is that maybe only cactus could survive well in full sun here).

I have several potted trees, all of different varieties,and I'd like to plant them to give a natural effect. In this article here https://www.natesnursery.com/how-far-apart-to-plant-trees/ ,the author discusses planting trees close together to provide shade faster, and to encourage them to grow tall, rather than wide, and this is what I'd like to do,so I am thinking to put Chitalpa taskensis no more than a maximum of about 5 meters away from a Kwanzan cherry; maybe less. Could I get away with , say 3-4 meters? I want them to grow as tall as possible,since my land slopes sharply down towars the south-west. Keep in mind that on my poor and rocky soil, trees tend to be smaller than they'd grow on deep soil. How much space must I allow between a Paulownia and another tree?

And, another thing: how much space to leave between an Italian cypress and another tree? The cypresses don't grow wide at all, but they are very drought-tolerant,so I worry that they might bully a more demanding tree...

I'd greatly appreciate to hear any thoughts or comments about this issue; thanks in advance.

Comments (2)