SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Along and around a split rail in partial shade

I'm trying to figure out how to landscape around this fence in my yard, which faces east so gets some morning sun but is shady. I wouldn't say it is totally shady but a little more than partially shady.

The plan is to plant excess black raspberry bushes along the fence, I already have them ready to put into the ground. I'm just not sure what else to plant. Given there is a bit of sun there and I have limited sun, I had always planned on one fruit tree, but I think aesthetically it might look better with small trees or large bushes on either end, sort of a "C" shaped design with some wildflowers/herbs in front.

Anyone have suggestions for a shrub or tree. So far my candidates have been some type of highbush blueberry but I don't think I have the soil conditions for that, not acid or enough humus. This is along a river, very stony soil and not acid at all. The other is elderberry, which grows wild here all over the place. I'm only concerned about the aesthetics on that one. Another is nannyberry (Viburnum lentago) which I have no experience with as far as being edible.

I already have a bunch of witch hazel so that's out. American hazelnut intrigues me but I don't see myself harvesting many nuts from that, just doesn't fit my lifestyle. Squirrels might be happy with that choice though, but they are doing find with all the oaks on my property.

I do see myself using the elderberries but I can also forage them nearby. The other options are a dwarf barlett pear or some type of plum but I think too shady. I need advice from some folks who might be familiar with fruit bearing trees and shrubs for partial shade. Quince would be great but I think too shady for that . . . Thoughs?

Not sure how it would look with just one fruit tree out a ways, in front of the fence. From a landscape design aesthetics perspective. Perhaps two parallel beds, one with the raspberries against the fence, and then a path between, and then two fruit trees or shrubs with some low understory plantings?

Comments (5)