SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emualliug

How to improve the heating of an old house (Ottawa)

Hi!

I'm currently living in a century-old house in Ottawa, with central air heating (heat pump + gas furnace when temperatures starts going below -20°C). The house has one basement, ground floor + 1st floor, each around 30/40 m². My problem is there's only one air vent blowing on the ground floor and when winter hits, it gets pretty cold: that air vent is in the ceiling, right by the stairs, and there's a beam between that vent and the rest of the living room. All of that sounds very much not ideal. Same deal in the basement, only one air vent at the bottom of a wall. This is less of an issue, though, the basement isn't a space we use a lot.

I'm going to have my kitchen remodeled in the next months, going from a walled-off kitchen to an open one, which will help with heating the kitchen at least and could be the right moment to adjust the heating situation.

How can I improve the heating of that floor? I don't particularly like forced-air heating (dry air, stratification, draughts, noise of blower are the issues I can think of off the top of my head).

I was looking at wall-mounted inertia radiators (something like this (https://www.confort-sauter.com/Chauffage/radiateur/hekla-horizontal-radiateur-electrique-autonome-connecte-et-lumineux-a-inertie-double-corps-de-chauffe-fonte-facade-chauffante/hekla-horizontal-blanc-2000w#id-filtre-0) or this (https://www.mazdaenergy.fr/radiateur-Inertie-ceramique-resistance-surfacique-PALACY)), but I haven't had much luck finding that in Canada.

I also have a noticeable temperature difference between ground floor and first floor, with heat moving up, which is an issue because with telework one person is working upstairs and one on the ground floor, so it's hard to find the right balance.

Any advice on how could I improve the situation?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH