SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimoedee

How often do you?

JustDoIt
last year

I had a relative call on Wednesday night and said she wanted to come over on Friday. Well, I have a rule well known by family that I require 24 hour notice for a visit. Nobody follows it, but it is in place. In this case, I looked around and it was not that bad of shape so said ok. (I do miss my pre-pandemic housecleaner!)

I didn't actually start cleaning until very late Thursday as I had to work. Unfortunately, when cleaning I tend to go off track. I started in the kitchen and ended up reorganizing shelves and drawers. When I started to dust in the living room, ended up basically moving decorative items around, redoing the bookshelves, etc. instead of focusing on cleaning. While I didn't finish any room, I managed to do a fair job. At least good enough for someone who is only going to be here a few hours before her flight.

Just some questions about cleaning your house for those without a housekeeper:

1. Do you start in one room and finish? Or, do you tend to do miscellaneous things in different rooms?
  2. Do you have a weekly cleaning schedule?
  3. How often do you do your floorboards?
  4. I'm having mini-blinds installed throughout the house and plan on a professional cleaner doing the windows inside and out. How often do you do or have your windows cleaned?

Comments (48)

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    last year

Life is too short for a spotless house. I don't even make my bed if I'm being honest. I work full time and after walking an average 5 miles a day in a store, I'm too pooped to care if there is dust on the china cabinet. My husband does load the dishwasher once or twice a day and he does the laundry. When I have a day off, I relax and do pretty much nothing. Last weekend however, we did drive out to the mountains for a mental health break. (photos in the link below). I'm feeling a bit depressed this weekend and haven't even gotten dressed today. I'm still in my housecoat and it's 4:24. If someone stops by (my husbands cousin and her husband did last Sunday) I say "don't look at my mess!" and if they do that's a them problem. My house isn't filthy dirty or super messy but could use a touch up. But I honestly don't care anymore. If it gets to the stage some houses on Hoarders is like, then I'll have a problem. ;)

JustDoIt thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

If someone stops by (my husbands cousin and her husband did last Sunday) I say "don't look at my mess!"

This reminds me of something my aunt said: If I can live in here 24/7 you can sit down for a few hours.

• Related Discussions

How often do you/have you revamped your beds?

Q

Comments (21)
    -Sararock, Lol! I'm always calling myself a slacker when it comes to weeding and doing things I don't like in the garden! But moving plants is kind of fun so I don't mind doing that ;-) Technically, fall and spring are the best times to move things around. The cooler and usually wetter conditions make it easier for the plant to recover and re-establish itself than if it were moved in the full heat of summer. But I've never been one to follow rules ;-) It was last summer that I became fully annoyed with how the garden was looking, so decided to get things moved around right then and there! Of course, it was hot out and after I moved everything they started to wilt terribly and look as if they were on the brink of croaking. I was left scrambling to keep everything hydrated and even got out a big beach umbrella to shade a few plants, lol. But it felt good to get it all accomplished and everything came back nicely this spring. CMK
    ...See More

How often do you wash your hair? How about never?

Q

Comments (54)
    I also really love the Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo, it's dirt cheap and doesn't harm my very delicate fine hair. I just stumbled upon it too. I had bought it for my husband and he didn't use it so I had this huge bottle and used it and was surprised at how well it did for my fine hair and plus, it doesn't make my scalp itch, that has become an issue for me. I also found a conditioner that I love, it's Martix Biolage, the detangling one. Finally, a conditioner that doesn't make my scalp itch AND actually takes the tangles out of my insanely tangle prone hair. I used to shampoo daily because I styled my hair every day. Now, I just put it in a ponytail and call it done. I wash my hair about every third day now. I'd be very afraid to put baking soda in my fragile hair...I'm sure it would destroy it. I once (ONE TIME) used Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile to wash my hair and it damaged it so badly that it had to grow out before it was normal again. UGH! I'm lucky that I have hair, don't get me wrong, but my hair is very weird! My scalp is also very oily...so I cannot go very long without washing. Three days is pushing it and I can only pull it off because I wear it in a ponytail. I also can't stand the smell of stinky hair...UGH! It gets stinky after a couple days. That's when I know it's time to wash!
    ...See More

How often do you wash down and re-seal your backsplash?

Q

Comments (10)
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a splatter guard for the stove -- will have to look into that. There's a gap behind the stove and the back wall so I can't prop anything up on there, but the glass cutting board is a good idea. The deep fryer is in the garage, but DH does pan-fry/high-heat saute stuff on the stove. And guess what? I'm the one who oil-stained the grout already!! I was browning some chicken pieces, on the front burner no less, and a big splat of oil hit the backsplash. I did wash down the splash that evening but darn it a small section of grout got hit good. Soapy water and a grout brush didn't work, 409 and a grout brush lightened it enough to where no one will ever notice but me because I know it's there and it bugs me. So yea, I probably should re-seal once a year.
    ...See More

How often do you replace your loofah puffs?

Q

Comments (8)
    I have seen articles suggesting periodic replacement, citing mold and bacterial growth. It seems to me that the puffs drip dry fairly fast, but I could also see that skin cells might collect in them. I do replace other things that get wet daily such as kitchen sponges and toothbrushes before they fall apart.
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

No housekeeper in Austin. This is my routine.

I try to keep things tidy on a daily basis.

I clean on Friday mornings-- dust, floors, kitchen, bathrooms. I start in one room and finish before moving on.

Mondays are wash day. Sundays and Wednesdays are prep veggies days for snacks.

The floors are kept in decent shape by the world's cheapest robot vacuum thingy on a daily basis, then done properly by me on Friday.

Outside of windows are professionally done at home, on a quarterly basis. I have never bothered in Austin, I know bad girl.

Are you sure you want ot deal with mini blinds? That is a lof of dust collecting with a lot of work to keep up.

JustDoIt thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • lucillle
    last year

JustDoIt, they are coming to see you, not your house. I do think it is always nice to have snacks and a beverage on hand, coffee would be fine if they are coffee drinkers.

JustDoIt thanked lucillle
  • hcbm
    last year

I clean when I notice I need to. I almost never spend a large chunk of time cleaning. I do it in tiny moments. I grab the cordless vacuum or turn on the Roomba when the floor needs a vacuum. I wipe the counters as I wait for my tea water to boil etc... I never let laundry pile up. I do the wash when my large tote bag hamper is full. That is about two loads. Sheets are washed once a week and put right back on the bed. I make my bed when I get up, and instead of piling dishes in the sink they are immediately placed in the dishwasher. I wipe down my sinks and swish the toilet often. My apartment usually looks decent but is often dusty, and the tub probably needs a scrub. Paper can be a problem. However, I always open the mail and dump the junk daily. My office/studio is usually a little messy. I close the door if anyone drops by.

JustDoIt thanked hcbm
  • Judy Good
    last year

You are always welcome to drop in at our house. I keep a clean but not a spotless house. I could care less. Not worth the worry, relax.

JustDoIt thanked Judy Good
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I don't keep house for others, I do it for myself. I have zero visitors in Austin.

It's the same as getting dressed up and made up, I do it for myself.

JustDoIt thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • maifleur03
    last year

Since I find things that should be in another place then find something has been put in that place I end up moving from room to room doing things.

JustDoIt thanked maifleur03
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I'm not keeping things up as well as I should these last months, but its been that kind of year and I make no excuses. My kitchen and the bathrooms are clean. If someone is coming over (and inside, we still have a lot of Covid driveway and garage visitors), I'll hope the coffee table and lamp tables in my living room are dusted and the hall way runners vacuumed since everyone seems to use the back entrance not the foyer. Laundry is always folded even if its still in the laundry room - my office could be neater most of the time.

When I worked outside my home, I cleaned on my day off. I have no schedule now and with DH retired, he'll do a little of it. He's great with the windows, both inside and out. I never have to remind him. We have floor to ceiling windows in the living and dining rooms and its pretty apparent if they are not kept up.

I've never had help with the house but have been thinking lately what a treat it would be if I just had someone come in and do floors - possibly a couple of times a month. 3,000 sq feet, one story, and I know the floors could use a little more attention than I've been giving them. They don't look dirty, but if you walked around in bare feet or white socks, you would know ;)

JustDoIt thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • glenda smith
    last year

Have always had someone for house cleaning. Younger, once every two weeks, for general cleaning. Deep cleaning I use a cleaning service. Past two years, being handicapped I have a caregiver who does the general cleaning, who comes daily. Haven't had deep cleaning and really need it now.

JustDoIt thanked glenda smith
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I do my windows, myself, twice a year - spring and fall - insides of kitchen windows more often as I notice the need. It is a project since I clean out all of the gunk that accumulates in the channels of the vinyl replacement windows ( I sincerely hope that new versions don't have that issue). That is also when I spray and wipe down the blinds.

My house is small, so I might do all the vacuuming - both carpet and bare floors, in one swoop, or all of the upstairs and all of the downstairs separately - depending. Sometimes I just do one or two rooms though. I use the vacuum for a lot of dusting too, so when I am in a room the blinds, windowsills, fan, bookshelves, tabletops, lampshades, knicknacks and pictures/paintings get vacuumed with the dusting brush. Any other dusting with a cloth gets done all at once though.

I damp mop the bare floors with the appropriate cleaner maybe every 2-4 weeks. except kitchen is weekly (any splatters are wiped up immediately). I live alone, no pets, so that also depends on how much in/out or bringing in projects to work on I have done- definitely more often in summer.

Once I became a working single parent my cleaning routine became a lot more lax, that is for sure. I just didn't have the energy, or desire to devote the time, to cleaning as often as I used to. One routine that I do have is to wipe down the kitchen cupboards and pulls weekly, and give some extra attention to the stove & hood. Bathroom is also a thorough clean weekly.

Let's just ignore the basement and garage....

I hated cleaning miniblinds the first time they were fashionable! 2" blinds are much easier.

JustDoIt thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Elizabeth
    last year

I have a system I have used for decades. One room at a time. I bring in the vacuum, dust cloths, glass cleaner paper towels etc. I vacuum first, then dust. All items that are out of place are put back if they belong in that room. If they belong in another room, they are place near the doorway. I DO NOT leave the room or I will get distracted. Laundry would go in a pile by the doorway and any trash goes in a small bag. Still not running in and out of the room. When the room is clean, I deal with the items by the doorway....trash...laundry....put away elsewhere.

If I am in the mood...I will do more than one room starting the sequence over again from the beginning.

JustDoIt thanked Elizabeth
  • Kswl
    last year

I do have help but they don’t do glass except for the french doors that lead outside. Our dogs are nosy and heavy breathers so the glass in those doors is cleaned weekly. The windows are cleaned by another guy who comes twice a year and cleans them all inside and outside. It takes most of the day and requires an extension ladder. I love how sparkling clean everything is when he is finished!

Because we have dogs our baseboards are cleaned monthly and touched up with paint annually.

adding….people say they come to see you and not your house. In my experience some people are fibbers. 🙄

JustDoIt thanked Kswl
  • Allison0704
    last year

I have regular days I like to clean, but shift if I'm going out of town (and DH is staying home). I do sheets on Sunday. Clean first and third floors on Monday (vacuum, dust, bathrooms - not in that order and do the entire floor before moving on). Second floor (our main living area) on Tuesday. Towels twice a week. Clothes whenever the basket is full. Beach towel washing varies on usage.

Baseboards as needed - some areas need more often. Windows the same. It's hard to keep them clean when the wind blows salt air/water from the Gulf. Currently the exterior beach side are bad.

I am a very neat person, so I keep things picked up. DH, not so much. :-/ I clean as I go when cooking. Make my bed as soon as I get up (after the dogs go out).

I've had blinds and wide shutters, but currently have natural grass woven shades. Buy a wool duster on a pole. Good for baseboards, trim, doors and spiderwebs.

As mentioned above, I do for me/us, not company.

JustDoIt thanked Allison0704
  • Tina Marie
    last year

I don't really have a cleaning schedule. I do things as they need to be done and as I feel like it LOL. Most rooms are cleaned weekly, although we have two bedrooms not in use, so they don't always get a weekly cleaning. Master bath is cleaned 2-3 times a week (it is the bathroom used daily by the two of us). Kitchen is cleaned each day I cook, meaning counters/sink, etc. are wiped down, table, etc. floor is usually done weekly. I also clean as I cook. Our main living areas are cleaned weekly and I clean each room and then do the floors all at once (vacuuming). They are steam-mopped as needed. Baseboards i do fairly often because I have a handy little gadget that has a little groove that goes over the baseboard, so easy. Blinds less often. Laundry as needed, I usually do a load a day, I do not like to spend a day on laundry. The Mr. does the windows, as needed, or close to that LOL. He is good to help with vacuuming, etc. too.

JustDoIt thanked Tina Marie
  • JustDoIt thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

We never let the housekeeping get to the point where it takes a lot of effort to get things in good shape. I'd estimate that we each devote about an hour a day, in accumulated minutes here and there, to housekeeping tasks. Ten minutes here, five there, etc.

Cleaning up after ourselves as we go about our daily lives is easy and normal for us. I have to say that having a small collection of lightweight battery operated tools has been game changing.

JustDoIt thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • jakabedy
    last year

I used to be one to clean like a madwoman once a week, top to bottom, on Saturday or Sunday morning. But then I acquired a boyfriend who I see mainly on weekends, which threw a wrench in my routine. I do clean the kitchen on Sunday because he/we have usually cooked something messy over the weekend, and also generally tidy up and toss the little bits of whatever that BF seems to leave lying around.

The aftermath of CV has managed to help me out a bit also. I now work from home two days a week -- Monday and Wednesday. Most folks in my office wanted WFH on Friday, but I LOVE covering Fridays at the (quiet) office and WFH on Monday. After a weekend with BF here, I get all the laundry done and the dishwasher emptied on Monday and I'm done for the week.

I have rehearsals on Monday and Wednesday nights, so I clean bathrooms on Tuesday night. This is usually just a brush up and a quick mop, but every few weeks might be a deep clean (shower/tub scrub of one of the two baths). Thursday night I dust/sweep/vacuum. I dust the whole house, then sweep, then vacuum. The house is small. I only have to plug the vacuum in twice. A caveat on the dusting -- I don't dust the tops of cabinets or high shelves every week. I live in the desert in an old house with very furry dogs. I could dust three times a week and it wouldn't be enough, so I tend to focus on what's readily visible.

I do a deeper clean once a month. I start high with ceiling fans and ceiling cobwebs, then wipe down walls and doors that need it, the tops of cabinets and high shelves, then baseboards and finally mop the floors. I also wash the dog beds so they're clean when they go down on the clean floors. BF is in the Guard, so I typically do this on the weekend he has drill. I might add some bigger things to the list on these Big Clean Weekends, like straightening the garage or purging/reorganizing something (the pantry, a closet, my work area, etc.).

I do the windows myself, twice a year. Usually in the spring and then in the fall headed into the holiday season. The house is one story, so it's easy enough to reach them all. The windows in the LR/DR get touched up more often because they go to the floor and get lots of dog nose prints. This is also when I condition the wood trim around the windows.

I have pinch-pleat draperies and honeycomb blinds. I vacuum them with the brush attachment when needed. The draperies also collect a lot of dog hair, so about twice a year (or when people are coming over) I work on them with one of those little rubber/static-y hair getter things.

JustDoIt thanked jakabedy
  • functionthenlook
    last year

I joke with friends that they have 2 options if they see something in my home that needs cleaning.

A - clean it

B - ignore it

I've never had anyone choose option A :(

1. I first do the bathrooms. Then I do one task at a time. I'll dust the whole house, vacuum the whole house, etc.

2. No I don't have a weekly cleaning schedule. I clean when needed. I got better things to do than be a slave to a house. If a friend calls up and says lets do XYZ today I'm certainly not going to refuse because it's cleaning day. I alternate between 2 homes so I'm not going to clean for the sake of a cleaning schedule. When we both were working full time and the kids were still living at home we had a cleaning company come in once a week.

3. I'm guilty of not cleaning my baseboards often enough.

4. I had mini blinds in the 90s when they came into popularity. They were a PIA to clean. I replaced them after a few years with shades.

The windows and tracks inside and out get cleaned spring and fall. The inside living room windows and the siding glass door get cleaned more often.

I had my 4 grands (ages 2 - 9) for the weekend and everyone for dinner tonight so cleaning is definitely on my schedule this week.

JustDoIt thanked functionthenlook
  • lily316
    last year

I used to be way more into cleaning than I am now. Since Covid few people are here so I overlook stuff. I do laundry twice a week, whites on Friday, coloreds on Sunday. There is never a backup of laundry to do. The hamper is never overflowing. I vacuum on Tuesday both upstairs and down. The five pets never see the upstairs so I use the powerful cleaner downstairs. Thursday is floor washing of the two bathrooms, kitchen and sunroom floors. I do a daily cleaning of both baths and kitchen. Monday is plant watering day as I have a ton of plants in my two greenhouse windows and sunroom. I have 40 + windows and even though we do them ourselves it's a real chore done twice a year. Baseboards and other wood trim were more intricate 184 years ago than in today's houses and it usually gets ignored until I get a burst of energy. My house is very orderly despite the fact that there are collections of antiques I acquired in 40 years of auctions and shows. That is by far my biggest problem...dusting.

JustDoIt thanked lily316
  • amylou321
    last year

I clean once a week. Since I work 12 hour shifts, during the times I am working, the only cleaning that gets done is the kitchen that gets cleaned after I use it. The rest can wait until I am off. I tend to have a routine for regular cleaning. I always do the bathrooms first, then dust, remove and organize the clutter throughout the house, floors last. I do laundry throughout my cleaning day usually.

I do a major deep clean once a year. I giggled when I saw this thread because I just did it. I do my deep cleaning every September. Spring is too busy for a deep cleaning, so fall it is. I am also more motivated to do stuff in or near fall, because I am buzzing with excited for the coming festive seasons. I always take my last vacation from work of the year in September, so it is a perfect time. To me, a deep cleaning is serious. I am washing, like with a bucket full of pinesol or Murphys and hot water and a stack of microfiber rags, the ceilings, walls, crown molding, chair rails and baseboards. All doors get washed as well. Polishing from top to bottom my huge obnoxious yet fabulous canopy bed. Taking everything out of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and washing those, inside and out, all windows inside and out. Go through and reorganize closets. And then to the outside. The whole house gets pressure washed, which takes a whole day. Then the next day, I touch up or repaint any fading or chipped paint around the doors or windows. I do not do that every year, just as needed. It was needed this year. I prefer to wait to do any outside work until SO is off, in case I need him. This time when I was pressure washing a snake came up and i screamed bloody murder for him to come handle it,so I am glad I waited until he was home to do it. I had a horrible feeling there was a slithering serpent somewhere near because George the cat has brought me no less than 5 little baby ones that he has kindly dispatched as gifts. There is nothing quite like the feeling of a deep cleaned house. It usually takes several days to get it all done, and I am always sore afterward, but one must do what one must. I do not enjoy cleaning. At all. But I always remind myself that I love having my own house to clean. It is something I never thought I would have, so I am grateful for it and that helps motivate me.

JustDoIt thanked amylou321
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

My house is a nightmare to clean. It is 200 years old, draughty, damp, cold and it seems to breed dust. Every door has 6 panels. Every panel has fiddly moulding. The baseboards have moulding. The fireplaces have moulding. Stuff falls down the chimneys. The cellar springs leaks. It is 4 storeys high with sash windows and external balconettes, so it is impossible to clean the windows outside. The whole place is a massive muck trap. We clean when we can’t stand it any longer.

JustDoIt thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • arkansas girl
    last year

I like that idea of a 24 hour notice before someone comes over! My husband is close with his brother(who lives an hour away) and likes to visit with him, he will come into town to do some shopping and will call us from the store and say "are you busy, I'm at Sam's and wanted to come over". UGH, usually we will be right in the big middle of doing something. I have heard my husband tell him a bunch of times to let him know the next time he's going to be in town so we can free up our day so that he can come over.

I have a routine of the vacuuming, clothes washing etc. I like to get it all done while my husband is at work. Our house is a dust magnet though and I have just about given up on dusting. I can dust and two days later it looks like it's been weeks! UGH!

JustDoIt thanked arkansas girl
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

House cleaning is not a favored activity by either of us. When we were both working, we did have a cleaning service, which was nice. But since retiring, he thinks it's dumb since we're home, and I find the house cleaning tasks are part of my fitness goals as it involves lots of bending, stretching, reaching and strength moves to "git 'er done".

We split the house cleaning duties. I do the dusting and the bathrooms, he does the kitchen and the floors. The house is always pretty picked up...except for maybe some shoes or piles of newspapers or mail in the kitchen/family room. I can't guarantee how often it gets cleaned, but definitely before company comes. In fact, cleaning the house is part of the incentive to have people over! Or it's done when I can't stand it any more. Maple pollen season and when we're using the wood stove, dusting happens more often for sure. If on short notice, there's the "lick and a promise" to dust the main surfaces, clean up the powder room and vacuum the floors...and always sweep all the seats of cat hair.

JustDoIt thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • jojoco
    last year

This thread makes me uneasy. My house is too big and never as clean as I want it to be. But when I do a great cleaning, it doesn't last and I can't possibly get to everything (the house is almost 5,000 sf.) Plus we have two big shedding dogs. We've talked about getting someone in to help, but with the dogs, it seems like a lot of work to find someone who is dog comfortable or to have to deal with the dogs outside for hours. And I always think that I should do it since I really only work part time.

My dear friend and her husband are staying with us next week for an overnight. I'm already starting to worry, although she really wouldn't care if my house isn't spotless.

Guess I'm going to start the deep clean today.

JustDoIt thanked jojoco
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

I do a very through cleaning when I have company coming. I start days before. I clean the area they'll use the most and work back to the parts they won't use as much. The last thing I do, regardless, is my floors (sweep, mop, and vacuum. If I'm feeling really spiffy, I'll do a once over after all that with the steamer) because I am terrible at floors. I have often thought I'd hire someone just to clean my floors, showers, and oven on a weekly basis. The rest I do pretty well.

JustDoIt thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

I'm supposed to clean my floorboards?

No cleaning schedule; I do it as I think it needs to be done and when I have the time to do it. That's usually every 2 weeks for bathrooms and floors (I live alone), unless someone is coming to stay (when they get done the day before). I certainly don't scrub the place before guests arrive - I really don't care if there are tea stains on my stainless steel kitchen sink or papers strewn across my desk, and I don't care if they care.

JustDoIt thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • lucillle
    last year

I will probably be vacuuming more often, as I have discovered that baby dust bunnies and lab hair have a synergistic effect forming large visible clumps. There is a difference between the moderate position of being tidy but not a clean freak and having rolling furry tumbleweeds in one's living room.

JustDoIt thanked lucillle
  • Ally De
    last year

2 humans and 2 small, nonshedding dogs = not very much dirt, honestly. I am a clean freak, and I also actually enjoy the process of cleaning too - I like seeing everything tidy and the process helps me clear my mind as I mindlessly clean my floors, or the dishes, or whatever.

I spend about an hour a day keeping the house basically spotless. Once a week I do a deep clean of the bathrooms. That's all that is needed to keep this place shiny.

However those of you who don't enjoy cleaning get zero value judgement from me. We all have things we like and don't like. I love to clean, I hate to cook - it all balances out.

JustDoIt thanked Ally De
  • bbstx
    last year

Floral, I once lived in a house that was 125 years old. It was also drafty and damp and bred dust. I could dust and 5 minutes later you could not tell it! Old houses are just harder to keep clean.

JustDoIt thanked bbstx
  • Allison0704
    last year

If you like to clean, or want to do a good job when you do clean, and you don't already follow GoCleanCo on IG - what are you waiting for?! Until I tried her 1 tablespoon of powdered Tide to 1 gallon of hot water, I had no idea something so easy could work so well. I ordered and love the Aquablade window cleaning tools and rags. She motivates me when I don't feel like cleaning.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Used to have a sort of schedule, but that's long gone out the window. I just clean when I get the notion and time. Our house is small and we don't have carpet, but terrazzo floors and some flat weave rugs that can be steam mopped. I do a thorough dusting, vacuuming and steam mopping about once a month, and sporadically dustmop the floors and carpet sweep the rugs in between. It's just the 2 of us and no pets, so at least I don't have to deal with as much mess and laundry as when the kids were young and we had a cat.

Haven't had a dishwasher for years. I do the dishes daily.

Our air here is very dirty, and even tho I hardly ever open the windows, we get a buildup of grimy dust ☹️ I have quite a collection of dusting tools.

We grew up with a cleaning lady who came every week, but my sisters and I were still expected to help with chores - Saturday was cleaning day for us back then.

JustDoIt thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Tina Marie
    last year

@Allison0704 just saw I am following her, although I don't recall seeing any of her posts! I am going to make time to look through her feed. Thanks for the reminder!

JustDoIt thanked Tina Marie
  • Kswl
    last year

Whoa, I looked at that goclean on instagram and tbh I have no idea what they are doing in a lot of those pictures and videos. They cleaned some plastic thing in a close up video and I could not identify what it is or where its even located in the house. And what’s the packing thing, is that about cleaning the suitcase or maybe about sunglasses? Every cleaning product under the sun, too. I think this is the milennial Flylady!

JustDoIt thanked Kswl
  • functionthenlook
    last year

I'm on my 3rd house (different ages). I can go weeks without dusting in my present house. Our other houses I would have to dust constantly. I don't know if it is because we are further away from the grime, traffic, and industries of the city, the way the wind blows, we have forced air electric heat compared to gas heat or a combination of all, but i aint complaining. .

JustDoIt thanked functionthenlook
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Function, I had a whole house air cleaner with the heat system in my former house, and loved it. I never had to dust. Heat pump with elec back up furnace. This house has radiant ceiling heat and is dusty in a heartbeat. It doesn't help that we are open window people either, our bedroom window is open year around - we've almost reached the point where we can't sleep in a room without operational windows (as we occasionally find in a hotel). Certainly yard dust, pollen coming in.

JustDoIt thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I don't have a comment about cleaning but for the first post, I'm floored that someone would have a "rule" about advance notice for visitors.

Anyone is welcome to knock on the door for a visit. Everyone has a phone, an advance call is polite and appreciated. Last minute visitors, when we have time for the unexpected visit, will find things as they are and will enjoy themselves or not based on things other than the last time the room was dusted or vacuumed.

JustDoIt thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    last year

Elmer - Everybody I know lives 20-30 minutes away. Why not give me a call and say you're on the way and stopping by when leaving your house? I live in a huge metro area so even if you're out and about, before heading my way, give me a call. I don't like drop-ins. Like I said, these are relatives that think it's funny. I don't. It makes me anxious. I don't maintain a "drop by at anytime" house. I like to have an opportunity to pick up.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I think the part about hoping for a call in advance is more than reasonable, so long as it doesn't make you unhappy if it isn't 24 hours in advance. I'm not so sure about the feeling anxious part though - wouldn't you feel more anxious if you didn't hear from your relatives and they didn't want to come by to see you? Look at the positive side, their wanting to see you should make you happy. Make it easy for them and for yourself.

JustDoIt thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • eld6161
    last year

I no longer do, but when I did, I would clean the whole house in one day. When it seemed to take longer, I started split it up in two days. I used to have more energy for cleaning years ago.

I used to have girl scout meetings and wanted to have things clean for the other leaders and mom’s that came in to chat etc.

I've always been tidy so your first overall impression would be that my house is clean.

I have help now twice a month and didn't think I could go back. It always felt like something hanging over my head.

JustDoIt thanked eld6161
  • arkansas girl
    last year

JustDoIt, I definitely get where you are coming from with the anxiety when people come over! Not everyone feels this way, thank your lucky stars if you don't because having anxiety is NO FUN AT ALL! Just the idea of someone coming to my house makes me feel anxious! Believe me, I wish it didn't!

JustDoIt thanked arkansas girl
  • phoggie
    last year

When I was working, widowed, and had 3 childred, I cleaned every Saturday like an idiot... big mistake that I would like to be able to redo. Now, I would have taken time to enjoy doing more fun things with the children. My tombstone isn’t going to say...”Here lies the keeper of a spotless house!”

Fast forward to being 80...alone, kids all busy with their families (as it should be), Covid seemed to stop most from visiting in homes, my house stays clean, I pick up after myself and blessed to have an electronic air filter, so rarely have to dust, I run sweeper and clean the hardwood and bathrooms when pain allows, laundry on Saturday, I have roll-out windows, do the insides and what I can without standing on a ladder and hire the outsides done.... After all these years, I find there is far more to living than a spotless house...no body has tried to eat off of the floors yet!...and everybody is welcome...no notice needs to be given.

JustDoIt thanked phoggie
  • 3onthetree
    last year

We use non-unionized child labor. We stocked up a handful of employees and pay them a pittance. Luckily, we can't be charged because they are ours, not someone else's. It took nearly 10 years of training to get each worker to be self-sufficient in their tasks, but we are now reaping rewards for at least several years. Per task works better than per room for this system.

Thorough deep cleaning seems to only happen prior to parties. My wife seems to invite guests more often now. I'm on to her.

JustDoIt thanked 3onthetree
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

I don't have a schedule to clean. When I have time I clean a little here and there, have just over 5,000 sq ft to clean, so I break house cleaning job into many little steps. There are limited areas open to dogs, so I don't have to worry about dog hair covers everywhere. We have 2 poodles, they don't shed, but I can find their furs on the floors and underneath furniture. I'd love to know a few days before people's visit, so I have sometime to clean the house and 2 dogs. :-)

JustDoIt thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

For us it's always been Sunday. I'm not sure why but I think we just like to have things organized for the work week. We're both Veterans and enjoyed a stint in boot camp so there may be something there.

However we returned from a four day at the beach today so we're just going to let things roll till Sunday. I dry mop twice a week, if possible, to cut down on the dirt for Sunday mopping.

I will start in one room and if something is to go to another room when I get to that drop off point I'll find something to do in that area and if something from that area needs to go somewhere else, I'll move again otherwise I'll just go back to my original room.

I don't really clean the floorboards that often because I dry mop them when I can. But getting out the attachment and put in a vacuum to it I don't know maybe over 6 months.

I'll admit that a clean window is really refreshing. I recently took off all the screens from 18 windows, washed them from the outside with a Windex stick cleaner and then hand washed the inside. when they didn't dry without streaks, I had my husband tilt the window so I could wash the outside from the inside.

I use my Swiffer to clean my blinds.

And finally for no notice visits, it would be almost impossible because none of our friends and family live here. But if someone popped in I would be blithely ignorant to the state of my house because I live in it not them. We rarely invite anybody over either.

JustDoIt thanked Jen K (7b, 8a)
  • Allison0704
    last year

@Kswl . I never liked the FlyLady. The GoCleanCo gal does more stories than posts. Her saved Reels are many, and usualy focus on one thing. While I already knew (thanks to age and years of cleaning) many of her tips, I have learned new things that have saved time and/or less work. Discovered a couple of new products, like the Aquablade and the box of reusable white rags. One helpful example I didn't need myself, she purchased (with her own money) and thoroughly tested around 20 stick vacuums, posting videos.

I believe the suitcase post was about her taking a team of five to the winner of the last cleaning challenge's house for a deep cleaning.

• chisue
    last year

DH and I are generally neat. After retirement, he has helped with household chores -- quite a learning curve for someone who grew up with help. My practice is keeping up with things, not devoting this day or that to a particular project. Any 'company' finds us as we are; I do double down for house guests.

I'll join the previous posts asking for help that would just come in periodically to do the *hard* work -- washing floors, scouring bathrooms, cleaning inside cabinets, etc. We hire a window washer once a year to do all four sides of 15 french doors and 15 casements, plus 15 more that have single pane glass, plus three archtop single panes, and a double height screened porch.

This new-ish house is pretty easy for two adults to keep. Helping are: All wood and tile flooring; an electrostatic furnace filter and flow-through humidifiers; a central vacuum; adequate storage. We don't have a lot of 'dustables', and between-the-glass cellular shades preclude the need for drapes in most places. We have some roman shades and plantation shutters.

JustDoIt thanked chisue
Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional