SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_mir82

Loud A/C after moving duct

Sara Mir
last year

What can we do about an excessively loud A/C intake vent? Looking for any advice — just knowing what questions to ask our contractor would be useful.

Our original kitchen layout had an air intake vent in the ground, and there was an empty cabinet covering it. Was odd…every contractor we interviewed told us so. We are on slab foundation so had planned to tunnel it over to a perimeter wall so we could open up the space where the random cabinet was. But apparently when they dig in, there was a t-joint (??) so they didn’t even need to dig. They just sealed the T and filled in the hole with cement. The new vent is now on a dining room wall that has garage on the other side.

But it’s SO LOUD. We never heard the A/C before….now, we can barely hear ourselves talk when it’s on. And as we are in CA, the A/C is not optional for 6 months a year.

No idea why it should be so different. I don’t know what to ask or how to phrase my questions. We are over a month past the promised completion date for our renovation and still not actually moved back in because stuff keeps getting pushed back. But this seems like a major issue and I want to raise it before we move back In and make final payment.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (10)