SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cincydecks

Trim Questions - Potential Water Intrusion??

Steve Deck
last year

We recently had the siding and trim replaced on our home. The contractor is coming back to make corrections to some of the work that was completed. That said, I always thought the layering of the trim was supposed to be the piece higher up on the wall was supposed to go on top of the piece under it forcing any water that gets in to the outside of the next piece (similar to overlapping roof tiles) and would I'd like to have him address the any trim issues if they are any needed. My main concern is water intrusion. How is the trim supposed to be don on the rake boards when there is no real overhang? They have J channel over the top of the the rake/gable trim where that detail occurs. The other area is where the old rake board remains from when an addition was added. The upper wall profile protrudes out a few inches on the top side when compared to the profile of the wall. They have J channel over the top of the rake cover (trim) on the top side and above the top of the lower end of the trim as well. To me this does nothing to prevent the water from running behind the siding anywhere the J is installed over the lower portion of the trim above. Am I correct in thinking this way? Does anyone have examples they could provide to show/illustrate how it should be done properly if i am thinking correctly?

Thank you for any help you're able to provide.

Trim Questions · More Info

Comment (1)