SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_stepchin

Very Ugly 1967 Duplex (single story) needs curb appeal boost. Ideas?

Mark Stepchin
last year
last modified: last year

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a single story, 1700 sq ft duplex (936 one side and 700 the other). It's been recently remodelled inside as well as outside, but the curb appeal is nonexistent. Including a link for some pics: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/3605-N-St-98663/home/14680089

Few things I hate most (adding pics at the end):

1. The layout. The duplex sits next to another identical duplex sharing the front yard and driveway .
  2. The front driveway is a large open space shared with other duplex. Looks like a parking lot
  3. The unit in the back has shared parking from the alley (another parking lot).
  4. The front yard is shared
  5. An ugly cracked walkway, also shared. Strange layout and angles for the walkway as well.
  6. Doors for each duplex are right next to each other. The back unit's door is beside the bedroom window for the front unit

My goal is to improve the curb appeal while increasing the appraised value, while adding some privacy from the other duplex, as well as each of the units from each other. Some ideas:

1. Break up the old concrete walkway, and replace with either concrete, large concrete paver stones
  2. Visually separate my duplex from the one across. This could be either a fence or hedge
  3. Add a more defined driveway on my side of the hedge/fence
  4. Change the layout of the fenced yard for each/either. Either make them bigger or smaller. Maybe change the fence to a modern horizontal planking style.
  5. If we run a fence from one end of the lot to the other, maybe change the layout of the yard in the back to break up the shared parking and use that for the back unit yard.
  6. Add a porch or pergola above the front door. Maybe outside the glass sliding doors as well. This could hide the boring shape of the house. Including a pic at the end of something like
  7. Change location of the front door? Maybe replace the door with something modern or at the very least paint it
  8. Paint the exterior with nice accents on trim.
  9. Upgrade exterior lights and house number and add a window box

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Quick note on the pics. The google street view pic is before the remodel. The house is now a blue color with white trim. Each unit is also fenced off. Some pics aren't updated.

I love this pergola

Comments (8)