SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Plants that will thrive in ever more common heat & drought conditions?

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
last year
last modified: last year

Until about 10 days ago our area, (like many others in Canada, and of course in the US and Europe) have had very dry conditions.

And so there are plants that noticeably standout because of their ability to look good with minimal watering.

So planning for next year, it would be good to have as many options as possible re plants that are water conserving.

I'll start with just 3.

LANTANA:

I am a relative new comer to using this plant in our garden (maybe first using it extensively 5 years ago).

I am always impressed at how good it looks i.e. flower and foliage, with no intervention on my part (after it has been established), even in the most sunny dry conditions.

(Here is a bunch out front...yes there is a lone "orange" one in the middle :( )

Geranium (Pelargonium):

In the past I have underestimated how good it does with not a lot of moisture. (Of course dead heading may be a bit of a issue for some)

Ageratum:

I have mass planted this annual the last couple of years after enjoying it previously in containers. Here it is as of today.

This is the first year I used some of the white flowered Ageratum and I wont again as they are noticeably less vigorous than the blue and the dead flowers are extra evident.

Please add to this list.

Comments (8)