SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Taking care of plants in flood, drought, heat, and cold

8 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have record-rain this year ... I have to apply fertilizer more often. Some excerpts from below link on the effects of flood on plants:

http://growingveggies.com/2011/02/the-effect-of-flooding-in-soils-%E2%80%93-part-3/

Flooding: "Plants suffering from lack of nitrogen will exhibit the symptoms of wilting and yellowing (chlorosis) of leaves. Fruit bearing crops such as tomatoes will not be able to take up calcium, which will affect their quality and fruit life. Nutrients such as nitrates, phosphates, some potassium, sulphates and boron are easily leached, and zinc becomes less available. Plants waterlogged for more than 10 days may experience root death."

Drought: Last year I got distracted by my Mom's illness & death and planted Rouge Royal in a hurry, I put the entire bag of Menards humus & composted cow manure in the planting hole. It has high phosphorus & salty cow manure plus mostly DRY wood chips. There's zero life in that stuff since cow manure has antibiotics. 3/4 of 1st-year own-root Rouge Royal died through my zone 5 winter due to dryness. In spring, it kept having brown-sun-burnt leaves despite watering daily. It bloomed well thanks to high phosphorus, but lost all leaves due to black spot. Phosphorus suppress calcium (needed to grow new leaves), also suppress potassium (to prevent diseases). When I dug it up last week, there's zero earthworms and the soil was dry despite daily watering. Here's the result of high phosphorus cow manure in the planting hole plus DRY wood chips:

Comments (37)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022