SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Circling back on Birthday Menu (now Mexican/Southwest Menu)

Funkyart
last year
last modified: last year

I had posted a menu I was considering for my mother's 80th Birthday party a few weeks ago-- and then came to the realization that it was a little too much given my mother's stamina and eating preferences. Yesterday I sat down with my mother and one of my sisters and talked about what she might like. Once we got past the, "a party is unnecessary" phase of the discussion, we hit the phase where my mom either just shrugged or stuck up her nose at a wide range of foods and menus we suggested... all the while dipping blue corn chips into a delicious mexican bean dip my sister made and talking about a new southwestern restaurant that is opening on the waterfront. It is kind of silly how long it took us to pick up on the clues and realize/remember how much mom loves mexican food... and especially tacos and nachos.

Soooo.. long story short, we will not be doing an especially fancy or celebratory meal-- we will be doing a taco, nachos and fajita bar with margaritas and a variety of sides.

We are just starting to actually plan the food but I know we will have:

Appetizers

Dips & chips

• Bean dip
  • Queso
  • Salsas/Pico de Gallo

Mexican Shrimp cocktail

Sopes - beans, beef

Fruit platter

Veggie platter with dip

Margaritas & Beer

(there will be drinking & swimming all afternoon-- so i think snack foods are needed)

Dinner

Taco/Nacho/Fajita bar

• Grilled mexican shrimp or fish taco filling
  • shredded cilantro chicken taco filling
  • traditional Beef taco filling
  • Variety of grilled meats (steak asada, cilantro lime chicken and pork)
  • Variety of grilled vegetables (onions, peppers, zucchini, etc)
  • Taco shells, soft tortillas, blue/yellow tortilla chips
  • Taco fixings (tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc)
  • Selection of Red and green salsas

Green salad with cilantro lime dressing (and maybe a spicy ranch?)

Charro beans

Cilantro Lime Rice

Tamales (i will not take this on-- will purchase locally)

Mexican street corn salad

Dessert

• Mom says she doesn't need a cake-- but it feels like we NEED one?
  • Considering a platter of churros with honey, raspberry sauce and chocolate -- but will we want to make them fresh at the end of the night? prob not. I could have them delivered hot/fresh.

Any suggestions or recipes to add? We do have some dietary limitations to consider -- one of my sisters has developed a severe allergy to avocados and one of my nephews has stage 4 kidney disease so a low salt/low potassium diet.

Comments (25)