SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelli_ga

How to visually separate living and dining rooms?

kelli_ga
last year
last modified: last year

We have a small L shaped living and dining area. The furniture arrangement has already been decided. It is depicted in the rough diagram below. From the sofa, we look into the dining room, which is fine. But it bugs me that it feels like a continuous L, and not 2 separate rectangles.

We don’t want to close off the dining room - I just want it to feel like a separate grander space. It is about 11x11 with 8’ ceilings. It has a nice big window in there that is visible from the living room.

What are some ways to make it feel like a special, separate room? Coffered ceiling? Arched entry? Wainscoting? Wallpaper? (not a fan, but open to it)

Most of the house trim will be white. The house is dark, so most walls need to be light or near white colors. I will definitely beef up the crown moulding throughout the house. The house style is like a modern cabin in the woods (no logs). I’m not sure arches would work as the rest of the architecture uses straight lines. Maybe some other interesting profile though.

I change up the decor and colors on the dining table every month or so. We are looking for versatile architectural and finish enhancements that will work with any table decor.

Comments (22)