SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Personal Protective Equipment for Angle Grinder

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
last year
last modified: last year

I need to cut metal and purchased an angle grinder for that. I learned about the tool, and it was quickly apparent that this is the most dangerous piece of equipment I have ever used. The cutting disks for a ferrous metal look quite flimsy and I could easily break one with my bare hands. I saw videos of what happens when a cutting disk explodes at 10K rpm, and basically, you get shrapnel that flies out at up to 200 miles per hour. There is a professional shop worker on Youtube who has a great safety video, and he conveys a story about his dad, who ended up having an exploding disk lodge in several pieces into his abdomen, including one piece that went all the way into his spine, through the front of his body. And that guy was a professional.

Is there any level of personal protective equipment (PPE) sold that can block plastic shrapnel shaped like a knife from getting past the PPE? That might be nontrivial because normally a bulletproof jacket is NOT knife proof. So finding a jacket that could protect you from knife-shaped shrapnel flying at 200 miles per hour might be tough. What is the best available PPE for this application?

Until I learn more, I guess metal-cutting Sawzall blades will be the way to do this more safely.

Comments (8)