SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovatehelpme

Fiberglass vs wood/aluminum replacement windows in Cleveland

Hi, after some leaking inside the house around some bay windows, we've gotten a recommendation from a siding company that many of our windows need replacing. We have not yet begun to call companies to get quotes, nor seen sample products in person. I've been trying to educate myself about the process and products first as this is our first time dealing with window replacements.

Background: suburb of Cleveland Ohio, with highly variable seasons (both sub-zero winters with lots of snow, and hot humid summers). Two-story, 3000 sq ft colonial house built 1998 as a showcase house by the builder for the neighborhood under construction, so it has lots of interior oak trim, crown molding, and baseboards. Typical neighborhood home value 500-600k. This may be a forever house for us, and even if not we should at least be here 10 more years.

The window problem is most serious at the front of the house, which is south facing. There are about 17 windows total -- 9 double hung, one 4 window bay unit (double-hung), 1 half circle, 3 transom windows. Most have no shade from trees, though the bay window has some shade. We think the original windows were manufactured by Hurd. Several years ago we put solar film on the south-facing windows to control heat in the summer (a bigger problem for us than retaining heat in the winter). There are another dozen or so windows on the other side of the house that may get left to a future phase of renovation.

Because of the extensive interior wood, we do want wood windows frame interiors (or at least a convincing wood-looking material). That would seem to rule out vinyl windows, and so I've mostly been thinking fiberglass/wood interior or wood/aluminum clad. The exterior windows now are hunter green, but we would prefer white or almond.

Beyond the interior look, mostly what is important are energy efficiency and low-maintenance. Price always matters, but we are willing to pay some premium for excellent quality in the long run. Less picky about design or style, so we don't need hundreds of options.

Leaning towards a fiberglass window with a option for a wood interior due to the presumed reduced maintenance, but wouldn't rule out wood/aluminum either. I've done some research so far, but it's hard to find information on some aspects of efficiency, like air infiltration.

Products we are considering include Marvin Ultimate/Infinity, Milgard Ultra, and Sunrise Restorations w/ interior wood trim. Starmark is another one that's caught my eye, but I'm not sure how attractive their wood laminate interiors are.

1. Given the price point and characteristics of the house and neighborhood, am I correct in thinking that vinyl windows are not the right choice for maintaining the value of the house? Does fiberglass fall into that same category from a perceived quality and effect on eventual resale?

2. Are there other national brands or products that we should be considering?

3. Are there high quality local or regional window manufacturers worth considering that I may have overlooked?

4. Does anyone have installers or contractors they would recommend in the Cleveland area (assuming we go with a product that doesn't require us to use a specific company)?

5. Have I missed something obvious or crucial to consider that wasn't mentioned?

Thank you!

Comment (1)