SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tupi2020

Ideas for Mounting Motorized Shades

last year

Looking for suggestions on how and where to mount motorized shades for our son's condo. The living area has wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling windows, as shown in photos below:

He'd like to get some motorized shades for privacy and solar control. One approach would be to have individual shades for each window. In that case, he'd mount the shade inside the window frame - but that leads to a lot of shades with the associated high cost.

Another approach is to have one shade for every two windows. In this case, we'd have to mount the shade externally, to one of the three surfaces shown below:

Surface A is the window frame, and is probably the safest to attach the shades to. Surface B is some kind of a cover or trim piece, so I don't know what's behind it or if it can support the weight of the shade. Surface C is drywall - I'm not sure what's behind it or if it can support the shades; it sounded pretty hollow when I tapped on it. It also would place the shade further away from the window.

So I'm thinking that Surface A is best - is that what's commonly used for mounting?

Also, what are some sources to buy shades for a DIY installation?

Comments (7)