SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
f018

Please help our family room, something is "off" and we barely use it

F F
last year

This is my first time posting here because I love everyone's input, I've been reading this site for years! We moved into this home a year ago and while everything is still coming together, we just can't get the family room to feel comfortable. We rarely watch TV in here and I can't figure out how to fix it, even with multiple layout changes through the months. I really want to buy nice pieces for the room but I don't feel confident doing so yet. The nicest thing we own in here is the sofa and ottoman, everything else can eventually be swapped out.

My ideas for the biggest issues are TV placement and layout of the room itself. TV is placed above fireplace because there's no other logical place for it to go. If it was across from the windows, as others with this same style home in my neighborhood have it, the glare from the TV would make it hard to watch and we wouldn't get to enjoy the window view. This room is also just one big open concept kitchen - eating area - family room which I also don't like because it's hard to feel cozy. I'm one of those weirdos that hates their back exposed, I like to feel secure when I'm watching my trash TV :)

Here are some current pics as well as pics from when we first moved in. Would love your advice!

So much potential!

First couch layout, husband hated having to walk around the couch to get in the room

The room now, looking in from the eating area. The door on the right leads to the garage

Opposite view towards the eating-kitchen area

The view towards the windows

..and the opposite side, towards the wall. Don't mind the clutter

Another vantage point

I know the fan and cat tree are tacky, but the room bothered me even when they weren't there yet

Comments (16)