SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_cohoe

Refreshing a light-filled, 90's kitchen in a midcentury home

Rebecca Cohoe
last year
last modified: last year

Hi there,

I'd love some thoughts on my kitchen redesign project.

My house is a back-split that was built in 1963 and still retains some original midcentury details (brick front, flat roof, window details, marble look fireplace, and original yellow oak flooring on main floor and upstairs.) While there is still a certain degree of 1960's vibe happening, it was also renovated in the 90s which brought in a whole new (unwelcome) aesthetic.

I would consider my preferred style as a warm, Scandi eclectic look. I like to use colour in art and accessories with a simple background. It's a family home, and I'm more interested in having something interesting and comfortable, than high-end finishes. I bought this house because it had character and am looking to work with that. We are in Canada, on an island in the North Atlantic, so coziness and making the most of the many windows is key.

I've saved some money, and am ready to start considering an upgrade for the kitchen. I'm aiming for a budget of between 12-18K (I know this is on the lower end, but I think the footprint is OK as is, and I'm not sure that this will be our home forever.)

As you can see, it's very 90's/early 2000s. Honey oak cabinets, mosaic tile, cathedral style doors, white appliances.

The floors, counters, and tile don't work together at all: lots of different undertones going on. Along with needing them all to work together, I'll also need them to work with the original flooring in the house, which is a yellow oak that isn't unlike the cabinets in the kitchen (maybe a bit more yellow than orange, though.)

I am looking to lean into the warmth of the oak flooring that runs throughout the house: I'm not super interested in subduing it with cools greys and blues (I'm all about matching undertones :) )

While I would consider working around the cabinets, I suspect that painting will make it easier for me to bring the whole look together. The cabinet frames are fine, so I'm considering buying new doors and painting them and the frames (I'd pay a professional to do this.)

I'm leaning toward cream on top, and a colour down below.

I'm really into this dark mustard colour: the whole vibe of this kitchen is really appealing to me, but I also don't want to end up with a 90's Tuscan look.

Thoughts? I am also interesting in a sage green to complement the wool rug that I have in my living room and the many plants on our main floor.

This one too (I particularly like the yellow cabinets with the wood counter.)

I would truly appreciate ideas on flooring that will work with my honey oak hardwood in the rest of the main floor, thoughts on the doors/cabinet colours, backsplash ideas, and countertops.

Along with those larger elements, I'll also be replacing the sink, appliances and the furniture.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)