Do you remember. . .?
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (52)
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
I do! Do you? Remember these?
Comments (42)Yes, S&H stamps were worth cash. Years ago Chicago had a trio of brothers who were infamous burglars. Pops Panczko was one of the three -- famous for being arrested over 200 times. I can't remember if he ever did serious time, but he could break into any safe. One of his memorable statements to the press was, "I'm a teef! It's what I do." Twenty years ago I knew a younger gal, Judy, through a service club. She was much younger than most of the group's members. One day the topic of Green Stamps came up, and some of us were reminiscing about them -- much as we are in this thread. Judy was all ears. "So *that's* what it was all about," she said. She remembered sitting at a table with her siblings, required to paste green stamps into booklets. It was endless. There were hundreds, thousands of the booklets. It was, "Don't ask. Just DO it." Judy's uncle was Pops Panczko....See MoreDo you remember where you were?
Comments (43)Yes. I do remember where I was on that fateful day of 9/11. I had only been recently (and almost forcefully) retired from my job. The Company had decided to greatly reduce the design and engineering support center where I worked. We older engineers got the boot; In my case, the pain of parting was reduced by a buyout offer that was equitable. And now, I sat on the couch that morning watching the news as the World Trade Towers destruction began. I had a lump in my throat, not only for the poor souls caught in the melee, I had a vested interest. My entire life savings in the form of an IRA was in that building, at least, the records were. The offices and records of my Custodian were destroyed! Had the hit happened a few minutes later, the Custodian would have lost many staff people. As it were, only a few people (of my custodian) had entered the building - and they were lost, but miraculously, most of the staff had been spared. My hide was saved because my Custodian was keeping a set of backup records off site and a fresh backup had been made the night before - Whew! Next came the scramble to find temporary office space, set up new computers and install the software and data files, a daunting task indeed. This was done in the next 3 to 5 days. This activity and many others like it, impacted companies all over the land. Computer gear vendors gave priority to this task and put on hold pending orders over the rest of the country. My company was in the midst of their 3 yr cycle of upgrading their engineer's computer. This was put on hold while equipment intended for this order was diverted to the larger task of getting the New York Business centers back in operation. Traffic in downtown NY was snarled to a stand-still. HP vendors rose to the task by trundling computers across the Brooklyn Bridge in wheel barrows. On the day of the disaster, all airplanes were grounded and for the first time in many years, there were no contrails in the skies anywhere in the US. Commerce by air stopped; And then later, we got word that Osama Bin Laden cheered when informed of the news. Yes, I remember. That was one of my really bad couch days....See MoreDo You Remember When You Got Your First Typewriter?
Comments (31)Typing was required in 9th grade at my Overseas dependents school. Being run by the military where men typed everyone had to learn. Their thinking was all of us were going to college or the military and you would need typing. Smart actually. I sucked big time. As an over achiever sort of student I had perfect grades. I made a D my first semester. I did not get much better. The harder I tried the worse it was. My fingers had minds of their own. It was a mess. Doomed. My sisters are good at it. Still I got a typewriter for graduation. A portable Smith-Corona-in blue of course with the hard case. One of my younger sisters still has it last I heard. You might think this was preparation by my parents for college but my mother did not believe in college for girls. She saw it as a waste of time and money. You were going to get married or some such nonsense. I am not sure why I got a typewriter. I was grateful when computers came along. I know where the backup key is automatically. I spend a good deal of time backing up but I do type much better than I used to. We had electrics in the library at college but I never mastered using one-took a light touch. Fortunately the College of science did not approve of papers for undergrads. They saw them as a waste of professors time. I am not convinced of that. Still I didn't have to do much typing....See MoreDo you remember block lottos? Here are a couple finishes!
Comments (5)Lois, yes the numbers of participants dwindled by 2017. But we did try to keep it going until 2019 when it was decided that Block Lotto had reached its ‘expiration date.’ And in that last year, we did not do an exchange but rather made the suggested block of the month and as the months went by, had enough blocks for our own quilt, in our own colours. The blocks to be made were suggested by Forum members, one per month. It was an interesting take on the original Block Lotto project. I was sorry to see the original plan be discontinued but, as you say, participants numbers dwindled and it was a challenge to keep it going. Theresa...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

LIFE10 Ways to Honor and Remember a Departed Loved One at Home
Help the grieving process and keep beautiful memories alive with these thoughtful tributes
Full Story
LIFEThe Good House: An Experience to Remember
A home that enriches us is more than something we own. It invites meaningful experiences and connections
Full Story
Christmas Tables They'll Always Remember
Holiday Decorating: Make Your Gathering Special With a Beautiful Table Setting
Full Story
MORE ROOMSRemember the Rooftop
A well-dressed roof deck can instantly expand your living area. Here's how to make this space the crowning glory of your home
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZShop Houzz: A Hanukkah Dinner to Remember
Special meals call for a special tablescape with traditional and modern touches
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSChic and Timeless Decorating Ideas to Remember
New York design firm Carrier and Co. offers inspiration for elevating your room’s decor — whether traditional, modern or country-inspired
Full Story
MOST POPULARThe Not Naturally Organized Parent's Guide to the Holidays
This year get real about what you can and cannot handle, and remember the joys of spending time with the ones you love
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEInherited Pieces: Embrace the Approach That Works for You
How you remember and honor loved ones through heirlooms is your decision alone
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: Romancing a Maine Dining Room
Glossy paint and country-style furnishings make a 19th-century interior an affair to remember
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPING7 Ideas to Get You Back on the Front Porch
Remember the good old days, when porches offered front-row seats to street scenes? They can be even better today
Full Story
Rosefolly z5