SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Do you remember where you were?

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

I was at work on a teleconference with a fellow in Wall St as we learned of the first plane hitting the first building. We thought it must have been a terrible accident. It wasn't until after the call ended that we learned of the second plane and all the rest. I still remember how absolutely perfect a day it was. It was such a gorgeous and rare day of the clearest atmosphere and bluest skies which were so painfully marred by hatred.

I was supposed to be at a meeting in the WTC that morning, but I blew it off as I didn't want to have to fight my way into Manhattan and then all the way downtown. The meeting I was to attend was in the first floor so all of the attendees got out safely and survived, though not without a great deal of trauma.

And to think so many are still dying as a result of that terrible attack.

Let this day stand as a testament against all violence.

Comments (43)

• phyllis__mn
    6 years ago

I was here at the KT when Ruthie posted about it. I had not had a radio or TV on yet, so this was when I first heard about it.

• caroline94535
    6 years ago

I was in California, driving to my job at the Solano County jail.

I was listening to a Sacramento radio station that had started airing trashy skits on in the mornings.

They were actually reporting the first attack on the first tower. It was bedlam.

I got disgusted at their "poor humor" and changed to a news station. That's when I realized the "skit" was real.

As soon as I got inside the secure sally port at work, there were deputies briefing us about what was going on.

The only TVs were in the break room, so after various officers would go to break, they would brief us in the Control Center.

It seems that I've been numb ever since.

• Related Discussions

do people remember where you live now?

Q

Comments (3)
    BTW...I hope you know I'm just joking....although I do love blueberries. You are like the family farmer's market! Good luck getting the grandkids to help with plowing etc. All the kids I see couldn't be less interested in gardening or growing anything. I find that sad and somewhat disturbing. Anyway, sounds like you had a great visit with your family. That 6 year old will remember that for a long time. I know things like that when I was a kid stick in my mind to this day...very vividly too.
    ...See More

That September Day

Q

Comments (33)
    It couldn't have come at a worse time, one week to the day before Eric was born. I was at home, happily awaiting the upcoming birth of my first grand child. I turned on the tv and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Frantic, I tried calling my husband, at work, with no answer, then I tried my sister, with no answer, my neighbor, no answer. The phone lines were jammed and I kept getting "All circuits are busy." I watched the entire senerio unfold from beginning to end by myself. The worse part was when one of the buildings collapsed and so many people were running and crying. I cried with them as I watched the horror in their faces. Finally my phone rang and the first person I spoke to about it was my nephew. I'll never forget that awful anxious feeling, even weeks later after Eric was born, that something else was still going to happen.
    ...See More

Do You Remember What The First Thing You Ever Sewed?

Q

Comments (34)
    I think the first real item I made was a yellow plaid roll-up sleeve blouse in Home Ec. I had no clue that matching plaids would be that involved. Since I was in high school in the 60's I remember making a 2 piece lined wool suit like Jackie Kennedy and of course had the matching pill box hat. Next I made a dress out of a pretty green dotted swiss. We didn't have room to cut out our garments in the Home Ec. cottage so we were taken into the cafeteria to use those tables. When I started making my dress I realized that I had not only lost the back pattern piece to my skirt but also the fabric. My Mother and I went back to the store to buy more but they were out of that color. I ended up replacing the back of my skirt with white organdy and applied a white bow in the back of the waist. What had started out as a rather plain dress became a nice church dress which I wore for quite a while. The dress that gave me such fits turned out to be a favorite of mine. Now I really LOVE to sew and also enjoy "thinking outside the box". Some things are made special because of the work involved. It makes you appretiate the results.
    ...See More

Remembering 9/11: where were you?

Q

Comments (45)
    What a different world it was before 9/11. I was at work in downtown Minneapolis getting ready to help out with a United Way fundraiser event in our office. My co-worker in the cubical next to mine just stood up and said the World Trade Center had been hit by an airplane. As the saying goes, the commonest things happen most commonly, and I immediately thought of the World Trade building in St. Paul and the tiny downtown airport there and knew it must have been a terrible accident. Terrorism never even occurred to me. It wasn't until I went to the internet that I understood what was going on. I had a very close friend who was a flight attendant for United at the time and she called to let me know she was alright. She was in absolute shock, watching TV and telling me that a second airplane had hit the towers as we were on the phone. My husband was working in St. Paul at an office that faced southeast. He watched plane after plane head into landing formation towards the airport. The airplanes in the air were simply told to land at whatever airport was nearest and the huge Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport could take a lot of traffic. The rumors began that the Sears Tower was going to be hit next and the IDS Center in downtown Minneapolis, so our company told us all to go home. Out in the suburbs, my brother-in-law and nephew immediately went to donate blood when all of the eastern hospitals were gearing up for the thousands and thousands of wounded patients they were expecting. As we know, that didn't happen. I used to walk to and from work, and when we went back to work the next day, it was incredibly strange to hear the silence. No airplanes were allowed in the sky for several days and it was soooo quiet. The Sunday following the attack, church ended and people began leaving and the choir began singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic ("Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord....") and everyone just stopped in their tracks and began singing. It makes me tear up just to type this. A member of my book club made a strange statement that still haunts me. It was 6-9 months after 9/11 and she said some of her co-workers were STILL wearing small flag pins on their lapels every day. She couldn't understand it and thought that it was appropriate right after 9/11 but that enough time had passed and that people should now put that kind of thing away. Thank God people won't ever forget 9/11.
    ...See More
  • Summer
    6 years ago

Yes, I remember it well. I was home on sick leave and watched on TV.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    6 years ago

As Annie said, it was a beautiful September morning. Just perfect to spend the morning with my 4-year-old granddaughter who had spent the night. We were outside enjoying her ride in a kiddie swing that I had hung in a dogwood tree. When her parents drove in to pick her up, we heard the news that shattered forever that beautiful day.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes. I was at work in Murfreesboro, TN. We were sitting at our desks, and about five minutes from now (16 years ago) Cathy popped her head into say had I heard that a plane had hit the tower? I said no, and immediately called hubby. Asked him to turn on the tv and tell me what was going on. We tried like the dickens to find a way to watch what was going on, and to get news all day long. I walked around like a zombie once my husband told me people were jumping. I couldn't fathom it. Could not grasp the death toll climbing. So horrific. Called my mom who was at work and we realized we felt similar, had the need to hug people and talk to clergy. I finally gave up and went home to put out my flag and find red, white, and blue clothes to wear. Before the president said we should. It was so strange a reaction, but that's what I wanted to do.

Worse? Waking up the next day when it was all sinking into my brain. The sense of loss. Sheer vulnerability I felt looking at the cattle grazing oblivious to anything other than the steam coming off the earth. Listening to What a Wonderful World the last time it was to be played since it was being banned. My Morgan, Stanley, Dean, Whitter broker (and friend!) lost so many coworkers/friends. It took me a decade to quit taking the day off.

I can finally work again and do something more than cry. It's such an awful thing they did.

• Uptown Gal
    6 years ago

I remember as if it were yesterday. I was working from home, my boss called.

He said, "turn on your TV". I thought he sounded like he was crying...and it

scared me. He was from NY, and was terrified because he knew so many

people there. Couldn't do anything but stare at the TV after that. Every

image of those first few hours are nailed to my brain, I think.

Prayers for all who suffered and who still suffer as survivors.

• Alisande
    6 years ago

I had just arrived at work when my daughter called to tell me about the first plane. I was a newspaper reporter, and I watched the second tower fall from the office of our county's emergency management director. What a frightening, numbing day. Still so vivid, it's hard believe it was 16 years ago.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I had recently started a new job at a hospital a

farther away from home but I was at a meeting at a hospital in the same system that was close by. Someone came in and said that the towers had been attacked. Only one person none had a radio and we gathered there in complete disbelief. I did not know these people very well because I had only wored there a short time, so I went home and turned on the TV. My son happen to be here and we watched when the second plane hit. I stayed home and watched the events unfold on television for an hour but because my job was new I was feeling like I had to get back to the office. it was about a half hour drive and I still remember is how everyone was being so polite and kind on the road and had their headlights on. I got back to my office and tried to follow it on the Internet but I think half the world was on the Internet so it was extremely slow. It was a Hotrendous day and difficult to grasp what was going on. Later found out that a high school,friend and another friend's son died in the towers that day.

Also remembering those who died in the Pentagon and the Heroes plane that awful day.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I had the TV on but the volume turned down. I saw the news commentators talking and knew it was something big but had no idea until they showed a rebroadcast of the first plane hitting the tower. I watched and then got online with a group of ladies that I emailed back and forth with every morning.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

I was in the middle of an interview for a consulting contract. An assistant poked his head in and said that we needed to come and watch the news on the TV.

My heart froze; I knew that members of my family would be affected. My brother was in the air on his way home from Europe to NYC and was grounded somewhere in Canada. I had one nephew stranded not far from the WTC, who walked for many miles to get home. Another nephew was in the air at the time and ended up in Canada where he was able to rent a car.

Another brother, a Vietnam war vet, developed PTSD symptoms for the first time (we were aware of) and required emergency intervention.

I will never be the same again, that's for certain. I stayed glued to the news for days.

I was in NYC two weeks before for the wedding of one of those nephews. The ceremony was in the chapel at the UN headquarters.

• pudgeder
    6 years ago

It was the 2nd day of my new job. I had dropped my children off at school, and was headed to work. When I got there, everyone was huddled around a little black & white TV. I watched with them for a while, saw the 2nd plane, and then I just couldn't bear it anymore. It brought up so much emotion that was still raw from the OKC Bombing, I went to my desk and began working. My supervisor told me it was okay to watch, but I just couldn't. I remember checking the boards to see if everyone was safe.

Soon as I got off work, I rushed to pick up my children from school. We shielded them from TV for quite some time. We talked about it with them, but they didn't need to see the live events.

It doesn't seem like it's been 16 years.

• uk_diane
    6 years ago

I was headed to the San Jose Ca airport to catch a flight to Nebr when we heard the news that all airports were closed and no flights allowed. My family in Nebr. didn't know my take off time for the flight and thought I might be in the air or stranded somewhere between Ca and Ne. After calling them I spent the rest of the morning glued to the tv.

• steph_pa
    6 years ago

Sitting at my desk at work, listening to a talk show, when they said a plane had hit the WTC...at first, they thought a small plane accident. Of course, that news quickly changed! I still have a hard time thinking about that day and all the ones that followed...so tragic. At the time, my brother was constantly flying coast to coast for work, and needed to find him and let my mother know he wasn't in the air. Also, my son-in-law's birthday is today.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I too was at work. I was in a conference room, and don't know how we even found out. I do remember discussing when the first plane hit, we all thought it was an accident. But, when the second plane hit, we knew there was more to it, and my boss told us all to go home.

My kids were in high school and they were all corraled into a meeting room and told about what happened. Those who were able to be picked up could leave for the day.

I remember I was shaking. Then the aftermath. So many young men from my town died that day. Our town has a gazebo with plaques of those who lost their lives as a way to remember.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Was at home early in the morning (west coast time) having my coffee and watching the Today show when they interrupted for breaking news. Was glued to the TV and watched the entire drama unfold before my eyes. It was horrifying and I will never forget seeing those buildings collapse as I watched.

I remember calling my sister in SoCal. My niece was visiting and they were getting ready to leave for the airport for her return home so didn't have TV on and had no idea what was happening on the other side of the country. Needless to say, my niece, like so many others, didn't make it home that day.

• chisue
    6 years ago

DH and I were living in a small rental apartment near where our new home build had been delayed. Our DS called from his work to tell us to turn on the TV. The first tower had been hit. People were trapped above the strike point. It appeared to me that the building was doomed.

I cried to see lines of firemen stoically carrying their heavy gear into this disaster. Then the second tower was struck. More lovely men -- sons, husbands and fathers -- marched in, to their deaths.

News followed from the Pentagon, and eventually from the AA plane that passengers apparently prevented from reaching its target, all dying.

The nation was shocked -- and silent. The skies were the blue of my childhood, without pollution from air traffic. Something hideous and unthinkable had happened *inside* America. War had been brought to our door.

Let us not forget that this horror was visited upon us in retaliation for our invasion and devastation abroad. Was there a way we could have prevented this? Was there a better course than to declare revenge after it? Was/is there a 'good enough' point to any of it?

• bob_cville
    6 years ago

I was scheduled for jury duty that morning, I was just parking at work which was just two blocks away and the radio announcer came on saying something about a plane crashing in New York City but didn't yet have any details. I walked to the courthouse picturing a small sightseeing plane losing power or perhaps two of them colliding midair.

I forget which specific case was being tried, either an auto-accident by a woman with a suspended license, or a dispute between two people about whether the one had given the other a horse, or merely lent it to him for an indefinite period.

I was selected for the jury pool of 13 and then the lawyers asked various questions of the selectees and each sides lawyer could pick three of the 13 to dismiss. One of the questions a lawyer asked was "Is there anything on your mind that would make you too distracted to pay attention to the trial?" which seemed like an odd question at the time. My answer to one of their other questions caused me to be dismissed, so I left, walked to my workplace and everyone there was in a frantic tizzy, trying to get a TV that had no antenna to work or trying to find a reliable live stream of the news from New York City.

• Chi
    6 years ago

I was 18, and eating breakfast in a hotel in Indiana on my way to start college in Chicago. I was with my grandma and brother. The news was on and I remember my grandma thought it was a terrible accident. We saw the second one hit on TV and knew it wasn't. We listened to news reports all the way to Chicago. I had trouble processing it. I still do.

• kris_zone6
    6 years ago

I live on the west coast so was watching the Today show when they got the report that a plane had hit the first tower, then watched the second tower get hit. I remember screaming "G** D*** you Bin Laden". I don't know how I knew it was him behind it. I was sickened, but could not stop watching.

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

It was about 9pm at night here. Policeman DH was on late shift, patrolling in a traffic car nearer to the city (we live in a small rural town). I was watching TV alone at home.

The program I was watching ended, and the next one I wasn't interested in so I started channel surfing to find something else. Weirdly all the stations were showing the news, which was odd for the time of night, and also not what was on the TV guide.I was quite annoyed. Then they showed the first tower burning. I was stunned.

The most surreal part of the whole thing was that just the week before, on a TV show called The Lone Gunmen - an X Files spinoff, they had narrowly averted a plane being flown into a skyscraper in New York. I could not believe I was seeing it again, but for real.

I called DH on his cell phone, and said, "You are not going to believe what's just happened." He and his partner immediately drove to his partner's parents' home nearby, turned on their TV and stayed glued to it for the rest of their shift. DH called me again, and we watched together though in separate houses. I remember my disbelief as another plane hit the second tower, and the way my heart sank as the first tower collapsed. It was a truly hideous night, such despair for everyone.

As it turned out, my daughter (who was 16 at the time), married a man whose older brother was in the first tower but got out in time. Her DH is the youngest in his family, and his brother is about 14 years older. It's hard to believe that even on the other side of the world one could still be a couple of handshakes away from such a seminal event.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

A sad day and sad remembrance. I had a late morning meeting so I slept in and heard about it on the radio while getting up. I had work colleagues scattered around the country and many had long drives in rental cars to get home. Those abroad were stuck for, what was it, a week or more that planes were grounded?

gardengal, the world's events and things people do are usually far too complex to be describable in a sentence or two. I think some of what you said is a small part of it but there was a whole lot more behind it, then and now.

• lily316
    6 years ago

I got up to many messages on my phone and then my son in law called and said turn on the TV, I saw the second plane hit and it was like watching a movie. It could not be really happening, I was glued then to the tv for days in total shock and will always have that feeling especially on the anniversary.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

I was in a terrible and abusive relationship then, and before I knew the full extent of what was happening I remember being elated and relieved that he was so focused on the tv that I could finally leave to go home since I'd not planned to stay over but...things had a way of going the way he wanted. I felt horrible thinking about how happy I was to have nearly the full day on my own, should have been at two college classes I was taking along with the rest of a full semester unit load but with the tv broadcasting the reports and live shots of NYC I didn't see the point. I knew his family would be going on and on angrily about the need to get justice in a brutal manner, feeding off all the hostility sitting around the dinner table, wanted to avoid for as long as possible being thrust into that (angry family convos at dinner nearly always meant angry him when I saw him and angry him was never good for me).

I had to stop watching the shows and documentaries that inevitably started to be shown on various channels in the lead up to the anniversary of 9/11, the calls and the images were and still are heartbreaking to me. All those lives, all those families - and the survivors who will never be the same because of what they saw and what they couldn't do to help even though they tried so damn hard to find a way. The air traffic controllers, the 911 operators - and all the first responders who went to do their job because that's what they do when disasters hit. Even now I wince at how selfish my thoughts were, when there were all these people losing their lives and despite all the help that came pouring in from around the country there was a point when the only jobs left to do were clearing the rubble and removing what little remained of all those people who didn't make it. Did we have to go through this terrible thing to finally work together as a country? Have we continued to do that in America - not for the most part, but we each need to find that piece of ourselves and start working together again daily, not against. Race, age, gender, sexual orientation - born here or immigrant. What can each of us do to make things easier for others, to help and to heal? Even for people who don't look like us or attend our religion's churches? That is what America needs to be great. Not hats, not statues, not confederate flags, not political power plays, and not divisiveness.

• ritamay91710
    6 years ago

I was sitting here in my living room watching the news. Like a lot of people, when the first plane hit, I thought it was a freak accident. Even the reporters were sort of acting like that. Then the second plane hit. It was pretty obvious what was going on after that. It still almost seems unimaginable.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I was in bed, sleeping in that morning. My DD called me and told me - she was very upset. I turned on the TV in the bedroom - we still thought it was a private plane and an accident. While still talking, we were both watching the TV and then saw that huge plane fly right into the 2nd tower. I'll never forget it. My daughter asked me to come over to her house which I did.

When I got there, her best friend from 7th grade when we moved here, was there with her two children - a 4 yr old and one the same age as my first grandchild - about 17 months old. The children were all playing in my DGS's bedroom while we watched the TV in my DD's bedroom and it just broke my heart. Here were two young women (I think they were 27 at the time) and these young children, and I knew that for them, life would never be quite the same again. They had lost their innocence that morning. They could not assume that two very, very tall office buildings would be there everyday, as they had before. Everything became far more fragile.

I was very afraid that perhaps my DD would not have a 2nd child due to this. At the time, she was fulfilling her Army Reserve obligation, having gone to college on an Army ROTC scholarship. Of course, she was terrified of being activated and was required to contact her unit at once. She was very lucky to get out during Afghanistan as if she had stayed in her unit much longer, she would have been sent there, with a toddler and a baby at breast. When she got her discharge papers in the mail, she called me in tears - tears of HUGE relief. When she applied for that scholarship, we had not activated Reserves in 20 years and I don't think she ever really imagined that she could have been sent to a war zone, leaving behind two babies.

My pet sitter lost her brother in one of the towers - he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. At one time, it was reported by Mayor Guiliani that the Chief Fire Marshall had been killed by debris. He was the FIL of a very close friend's daughter and I had met him at their wedding. By a fluke of fate, he had gone around the corner to hear a phone call better. Rubble collapsed, killing the two men he had been standing with a few seconds before - they assumed he was still there as well. My DD's mentor in the hospitality restaurant had at one time worked at Windows on the World and was devastated by the loss of so many co-workers she knew so well.

My DS was living and working in NYC at the time, and it was many hours before I heard from him. He did not work in the Towers but often when there to see clients. I'm very glad that he works on a lower floor in the big building his offices are in, right behind Rockefeller Center.

I still cannot look at the NYC skyline when flying or driving into the city. The absence of those two towers is just too painful to see.

9/11 and the assassination of JFK are my generation's "what were you doing when Pearl Harbor was attacked" moments. Some of us had been born by that time, others born at other times during WWII.

• User
    6 years ago

In the kitchen...fixing breakfast for my husband...with the morning national news on the telly. We didn't eat much that morning.

I spent the next 24 hours hunting for and praying that my step son wasn't working where he was scheduled to be that day. Right smack in the middle of the strike zone. All above ground phone lines were down. Thanks to the internet...I finally located him...safe and sound. He's a surveyor and the company he was working for at the time...changed his work site location the night before. Thankfully...he was way out on the end of L.I. that day instead of in the City. But in subsequent days and weeks...he did work under the City to get the train tunnels and other underground NYC services back up and running. He suffers today from lung damage as a result of that work and has been awarded Federal as well as State compensation for same.

My husband was an engineer involved in bridge and highway inspections. The next few weeks were like something out of a science fiction novel with very real fears..which our science related friends confirmed...that the fallout was spreading far beyond what the news sources reported. We didn't live in NY State then but the winds blew a lot towards CT, and all northeastern coastal areas.

I have a first hand photo history of the entire event which I viewed then, saved to disks and have never looked at again. It's too painful.

We all [me and my immediate extended family] lost friends. It was a horrible time never to be forgotten.

• donna_loomis
    6 years ago

Neither of us likes driving in San Francisco, so we were on a train to see a specialist about a rare cancer DH had in his eye. We were full of tension and fear about the diagnosis. The train was running behind schedule, so I called the doctor's office to let them know we might be a bit late. The doctor answered the phone and said not to worry about it. He was the only one in the office. Everyone else had stayed home to watch the news of the Twin Towers. We had no idea what was happening until he told us. When we got off the train, it was a very strange world we encountered. A very quiet San Francisco. I was concerned that we might not be able to get home, as some forms of transportation were not moving. Until we did get home, we really did not understand the enormity of what had happened. I don't think anyone living in this era will EVER forget it. Incomprehensible that people can hate so much.

• lily316
    6 years ago

It's funny how your mind locks in the exact thing you were doing at that instant. I remember exactly the spot I was standing and what I was wearing. When Kennedy was assassinated and I heard the news, I remember my baby son laughing and kicking his feet as I tried to comprehend. The third moment I will never forget is when TMI blew and my kids were at the bus stop.

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

We were on vacation and traveling in Nova Scotia on that day when we heard the news report playing on a radio in a gift shop. When the people there realized that we were form the USA, all were very sympathetic and caring. Every where we went over the next 6 days we heard many expressions of sympathy and were even given hugs. The Canadians are lovely people.

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

Playing golf. Just finished the 4th hole and the cart gal came around the bend and told us a plane crashed into WTC. We thought it was an accident and continued playing but talked to people in their back yards asking if there was any more news. We played a couple more holes but the one lady I was playing with and I decided we couldn't focus, wanted to get to a T.V.and see what was going on. We went back in and sat at the bar watching over and over, the planes fly into the building. It was mind boggling. It was as if you couldn't really process what was happening. I will never forget that day.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago

I was at home. I'd turned on the Today show, on what I thought was a normal morning, just after the first plane had hit, while they still thought it was an isolated accident. They were conducting a live phone interview of a resident of a nearby apartment, maybe someone affiliated with the show, when the second plane hit in the background. I watched in shock for awhile, then called a couple of relatives to see if they were watching. I just wanted to touch base with someone--even though I new it was real, I couldn't comprehend.

I let my kids finish the day at school (high school and middle school), but my sister-in-law panicked, and went to pick up my 7yr old nephew. He called to tell me that terrorists were "blowing up schools."

Just a few days earlier we'd lost one of our best friends in a terrible truck accident. I was working in the yard when my husband came out to tell me about our friend, whose wife had called with the news. I can't separate the two tragedies in my mind.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

We flew in late from Chicago the night before. I was doing laundry and other return-to-routine stuff you do after you get home from a trip. My DH called me from work and told me to turn on the TV.

One thing I remember thinking, on 9/10, flying home from Chicago, was how sloppy the security was in the airport, and how sloppy the security was checking people getting on the plane.

• bengardening
    6 years ago

I was at work at the restaurant. I remember my boss coming in the kitchen and telling me a plane hit one of the towers in NYC. I remember saying to her "How couldn't they have seen it. I never even thought that someone could ever do anything like that on purpose.

We sat and watched it for a while. Then a spray pilot came in and told us he couldn't fly, because of the grounding. I didn't even think it affected them too.

MY DH who works for the county road crew, was helping to build a road. They still call it the 911 road.

I don't think any of us will ever forget where we were on that day. Just like we all remember when JFK got killed.

• MrsM
    6 years ago

I remember it being a mundane but beautiful morning. I was still in my pajamas and robe sipping my coffee and having a morning cigarette. Wasn't working at the time. Turned on what I thought would be GMA but it was Peter Jennings I believe talking about a plane crashing into one of the towers. That woke me up and got my attention right away. All I could think was what a horrible freakish accident. As I'm watching of course, the rest was history. My teenage daughter was home that day. Woke her and we were both glued to the TV. My other 2 daughters both worked at law firms and I got calls right away from them...their offices had TVs. I called my DH at work. He and the rest of the guys were just getting word of what was going on but no TV. Another thing that unnerved me as we were staring at the TV, was seeing a 2nd video screen behind Jenning's head showing smoke and captioning it as the The Pentagon. That was when I actually realized how much under attack we were. And only 3 years before, my family had a made a little day trip down to NY. We decided to go to the Twin Towers. My oldest had brought her fiance too. They all teased me because I'm fairly afraid of heights. When we made it to the top I remember being both awed and terrified at the same time at just how high those towers were. So when I could see that many were not going to make it out of there and the ones who were jumping, my heart sank.

• pammyfay
    6 years ago

I was still asleep, but when I went downstairs, my answering machine had several messages from a co-worker (a New Yorker) yelling 'Wake up! Wake up! Turn on the news!' It was pretty miserable trying to get into Washington, D.C., that day (one co-worker just parked his car someplace when he couldn't get much farther and walked the rest of the way to the office). I remember staying up for a few hours the night of and seeing all the posted fliers with photos of missing people, desperate for information about their friends and loved ones. The Washington Post ran profiles of all the victims, (I don't remember how many times I had leave my desk for a bit), but the hardest to read were those of two young schoolchildren who died when the plane hit the Pentagon on the way to the west coast for a field trip.

• kittymoonbeam
    6 years ago

I was on the third floor at work. People were in the break room having coffee and the tv showed the first plane and the fire. I felt so bad about it then someone ran down the hall telling about the second plane. After that the building went quiet. People stood in the hall by the break room and watched/listened in disbelief and confusion. I sat at my drawing table and said some prayers for everyone as I could not watch it.

In 20 minutes they said they were closing for the day so everyone get their things and go. We all went out quietly. I saw people turning on the radio in the car. I didn't know what it meant.

• Terri_PacNW
    6 years ago

Got a call from a neighbor/friend.. "are you sending K to school today?" ..yes, of course why, "is your TV on?" Yes, on Nickelodeon. "change the channel to the news".. Just as plane two was dipping towards the building and hitting it.

I said, "omg, what just happened" she said, "they are saying it's terrorists" "Are you sending him to school?" Yes, it's safer there. I put him on the bus. I live in an area with a Navy Base. In my mind he was safer at school than any where else, even at home.

After that day, it seemed a weird response. Especially years later..no place is "safer". But, I remember thinking they could handle an emergency situation better than I could.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I was driving to my early morning boot camp class (SF Bay.) I could not understand the words coming out of the radio news host's mouth (probably Bob Edwards on Morning Edition). I kept thinking I was not understanding something. Then, running around the track with no airplanes overhead was incredibly eerie.

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

Yes. I do remember where I was on that fateful day of 9/11. I had only been recently (and almost forcefully) retired from my job. The Company had decided to greatly reduce the design and engineering support center where I worked. We older engineers got the boot; In my case, the pain of parting was reduced by a buyout offer that was equitable.

And now, I sat on the couch that morning watching the news as the World Trade Towers destruction began. I had a lump in my throat, not only for the poor souls caught in the melee, I had a vested interest. My entire life savings in the form of an IRA was in that building, at least, the records were. The offices and records of my Custodian were destroyed! Had the hit happened a few minutes later, the Custodian would have lost many staff people. As it were, only a few people (of my custodian) had entered the building - and they were lost, but miraculously, most of the staff had been spared.

My hide was saved because my Custodian was keeping a set of backup records off site and a fresh backup had been made the night before - Whew! Next came the scramble to find temporary office space, set up new computers and install the software and data files, a daunting task indeed. This was done in the next 3 to 5 days. This activity and many others like it, impacted companies all over the land. Computer gear vendors gave priority to this task and put on hold pending orders over the rest of the country. My company was in the midst of their 3 yr cycle of upgrading their engineer's computer. This was put on hold while equipment intended for this order was diverted to the larger task of getting the New York Business centers back in operation. Traffic in downtown NY was snarled to a stand-still. HP vendors rose to the task by trundling computers across the Brooklyn Bridge in wheel barrows.

On the day of the disaster, all airplanes were grounded and for the first time in many years, there were no contrails in the skies anywhere in the US. Commerce by air stopped; And then later, we got word that Osama Bin Laden cheered when informed of the news.

Yes, I remember. That was one of my really bad couch days.

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

A few days after it happened, I was driving home and I looked up at the sky and there were three large crosses in the sky. I was listening to a local radio station and someone called in and said that they had seen them, too. I took a picture of them. It was very strange because all planes were grounded so it couldn't have been fuel trails.

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

I was teaching first grade in a Catholic school. My students had PE first period so I had gone to the office to check my mail. The secretary and nurse looked pale and told me to go turn on my tv. as they'd just gotten a weird call from a parent. They followed me down the hall. Just the year before a generous benefactor had paid to have 20" tvs installed in each classroom. We used them for daily announcements and sometimes VHS learning videos but they did have local channels. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, showing the first plane over and over. I ran to get the principal whose office was at the other end of the hall. He came running and just as he came in the room the second plane hit. Shortly after, the students returned and we of course turned off the tv and I had to act like nothing was wrong. I had tears, just couldn't stop them. Later that day a note was sent home saying it would be up to parents to explain, that we just told students that there had been a bad accident in NY, far from our town. My own kids rushed to my room after school and the two in HS drove over too, as vball practice had been canceled. We all hugged and drove the 30 min home. Not a plane in the sky. It was eery and we prayed a lot for days. BIL worked there some days but thankfully that day was in a different location, watching in horror as workmates for Marsh McClennan died.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

It was 9am, I was running the Garden Of The Gods park when another runner caught up to me and said, "no planes", looking up at the sky. I said, 'What?" She said, "You haven't turned on the radio or TV have you?" At the time, I was scheduled to go into my job at Cheap Tickets @ 2pm, I was a travel agent. When i arrived they let the booking agents go home. Everyone was cancelling their flights & I did not work customer service.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz