SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

When and How to Harvest Early Sunglow Corn

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

We are in Zone 5, Toronto. Our Early Sunglow corn was planted May 15th, and because we wanted to do the three sisters method of companion planting we planted pole beans Blue Lake next to the corn on June 26, and zucchini a week later. Some of the corn is now at least 4 ft tall, some still quite a bit shorter.

Now it is the end of July and we are facing a dilemma. For over a week I have been telling my husband that I think we should start harvesting some, the silk on the corn is going shabby / bald and what's left is turning brown. And the corn should be ready in 60 - 70 days. But he keeps telling me that the cobs are still way too thin. He eats corn a lot more than I do, so he should know.

I also noticed that the beans are winding themselves around the cobs- well I know the idea is that the beans climb up the corn, which all sounded brilliant. But no one who is writing about the three sisters methods talks about how to get the corn out from the clutches of the beans ?

Needless to say we are new to this.

How do we know the corn ready? And how do we harvest it without damaging the beans?

Comments (4)