SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidahn

SKS 48" Dual Fuel Induction Sous Vide Range Intriguing Combination!

D Ahn
last year
last modified: last year

Researching 48" ranges. It seems everyone has a different combination of features, making it hard to do apples-to-apples comparisons.

For the range top, everyone has grills vs griddles, but SKS really is the outlier with induction + sous vide. I LOVE the induction option, as there's no waste heat or combustion products (particulates, NO2, CO and CO2) to get rid of. My wife is dead set on gas, regardless of health effects, so I'm hoping this gets her slowly warmed up to induction cooking.

However, I'm far less excited about the sous vide d/t plastic bags. (IMO there are 2 types of plastics: those linked to cancer and those that will be linked to cancer, plus fertility rates have been dropping and it's thought to be linked to plastics. Has anyone used the sous vide compartment without the vacuum bags, maybe as a steamer? But with the steam combi oven, a pure steamer seems to be wasted valuable counter space. Maybe can get a scrap piece of counter material and use it as additional landing space for cooking? Can it be replaced with another induction setup?

For the small oven, I like the potential for reducing clutter by eliminating a countertop appliance. Most 48" ranges just have a small convection oven (eliminates toaster oven, possibly an air fryer), Miele has a speed oven (eliminates a MWO), Thermador and SKS have a combi-steam oven, which eliminates a separate combi-steam oven, which could save you $2500-4000. So while each small oven option eliminates a countertop appliance, the combi-steam seems to saves you the most money on the purchase of said item.

Comment