SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Meal train dishes that are not pasta?

mtnrdredux_gw
last year

Hi, Do you have favorite meal train dishes? This is for four adults whose tastes lean toward healthy foods and have sophisticated palates, but they aren't doctrinaire either ... kind of anything goes.

I just imagine they will get a lot of pasta and casseroles though ... plus it is late summer so....

Comments (66)

• ratherbesewing
    last year

I am soup fan, even in the summer. Chicken noodle, wedding soup or slow cooker mexican chicken soup (freezes very well).

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/slow-cooker-mexican-chicken-soup-3293339

mtnrdredux_gw thanked ratherbesewing
  • arcy_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

"meal Train" new term but ancient concept. I find it a HOOT there is a web site instructing how to set one up. Is it really that difficult??!!! hahahahahaha Tater tot hot dish is a staple for these things in my neck of the woods. Baked enchilada's would be delish! Scalloped potatoes and ham always a favorite.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked arcy_gw
  • Related Discussions

Rehydrate pasta dishes?

Q

Comments (9)
    I am working on a pasta e fagioli dish for backpacking. I will make the dish fresh, dehydrate it, and then reconstitute it. It only will have beans, veggies, seasonings and pasta. I can post here on how it goes. I realize this is different than your problem. You can probably turn your meal into a Mac and cheese soup by adding water to it though. You will probably have to forget about it being a pie, and if there is a pie crust then maybe making it into a soup is not a good idea. Or who knows? grind the whole thing in the food processor, add a bit of broth or milk, some seasonings, and get cream of Mac and cheese soup.
    ...See More

Tricia, about jumbo muffin pan meals...

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Shambo! Yes, I made them for awhile before Sandy put us out of business. I've made Mac 'n Cheese w/broccoli; Lasagna (tore up the noodles to fit the cup); and an Alfredo Crab Linguini all in extra-large muffin trays. They worked great. I did add extra sauce to compensate for both what the pasta would absorb and also to allow for my Sjogren's swallowing issues. I brushed the tins with olive oil just prior to filling and had no problems getting them out of the cups. When frozen solid, I ran a butter knife lightly around the tops (not all the way down the cup) and dumped out on a wooden board - they popped right out. Then I vac-packed and refroze. To reheat, I can be lazy, so I nuked 'em. With the extra sauce they were great and the perfect size. Baked ziti would freeze well. Give it a try. Don't forget the extra sauce though! /tricia
    ...See More

Non starchy sides for pasta meal

Q

Comments (29)
    I can't seem to get around a veggie as a "side" to pasta either, but I do need something to fill me up. It's not the bread itself that is bad, it's the BUTTER. Bread with pasta was fine back in the day when people were doing mostly manual labor and could use those carbs for fuel. I eat pasta with either tofu, cheese sauce, fake meat or beans. Most often I would say beans. I do like marinated chopped salad with pasta, which is great when veggies are fresh and cheap. I think I just need to train myself to eat a salad first, as the antipasta, to help fill me up. I even have a hard time eating salad without bread too. Last night I was at my friends house and they made a big delicious salad bar and they were eating bread with it and I just had to stop myself and have another plate of salad. Not that I hadn't had my share of bread that day, both for breakfast and lunch. I'm not anti bread, in fact I'm way too pro bread, that's the problem! All things in moderation. I have to curb myself or I would just eat bread, bread, bread all day long. I inherited it from my dad, he's one of those guys who eats bread with everything.
    ...See More

OK, Let's Talk Recipes and Our Favorite Go-To Meals

Q

Comments (31)
    I don't spend a lot of time cooking-my kitchen is awful, no usable counter space so I do a lot of very simple foods, but when the urge strikes, I make more diverse dishes. Following are my faves - Beef Main Dish: I make a family dish, we call it agasate. It's a braised eye round roast, then removed from the pan to soften a couple of chopped onions and some garlic. Put roast back in, cover with water and set to boil. Once roast is cooked, remove and cook down the juices to make a thick gravey-almost like french onion soup. Serve over thick noodles and be generous with the freshly grated parmesan. - Ground Beef Main Dish: Meatloaf and scalloped potatoes - Chicken Main Dish: Chicken alfredo w/broccoli served over noodles -Ground Chicken or Turkey Main Dish: - Pork Main Dish: Baked pork chops and roasted veggies - Vegetarian Main Dish: Baked penne with marinara - Pasta Main Dish: Pasta with my homemade meat sauce - Out on the Grill Main Dish: rib eye steak smothered in crushed garlic - Main Dish Salad: Grilled chicken, chopped apple and pecans over spring greens - Fish Main Dish: Fish tacos-usually made with either mahi mahi or cod, with shredded cabbage, lime & cilantro - Other Seafood Main Dish (such as Shrimp, Scallops, Etc.): I hate shellfish, so I never make anything like that. - Vegan Main Dish: pad thai - Homemade Soup: beef bourguingon or split pea with ham - Main Dish Sandwich: Oven roasted turkey, swiss cheese, cranberry mustard on crusty french bread. - Non-Vegetable Side Dish: ? Stuffing? - Veggie Side Dish: Roasted veggies-beets, carrots, red and white potatoes and parsnips are staples. - Quick & Easy Dessert: Ice Cream! Fresh pineapple when feeling ambitious. - Breakfast Main Dish: Overnight peach french toast
    ...See More
  • localeater
    last year

chicken/vegetable quesadillas are good. You can do them in the oven, each with 1 large tortilla folded in half, wrap each seoarately in foli so each can be reheated individually. Each should be labelled with flavor. This can be a great grab and go option for a busy famiky for dinners and lunches.

For a more mealish option, this Serious Eats recipe is great, I add cukes and feta to the salad https://www.seriouseats.com/serious-eats-halal-cart-style-chicken-and-rice-white-sauce-recipe

mtnrdredux_gw thanked localeater
  • Funkyart
    last year

I think the meal train app is brilliant-- it ensures you don't get 4 hams and 3 lasagnas this weekend and nothing next weekend. It has a calendar on which individuals sign up for a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and they can enter what they are making so that there is variety. If the recipient doesn't eat ham or dairy, then all can see. It is super helpful for both the recipient and those who want to support them.

Of course it is most useful for families in crisis or tending to an ill family member for an extended time. So often everyone wants to help in the beginning then 3 weeks out the support wanes. Meal train helps friends and loved ones easily spread their support over many weeks or months.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Sueb20
    last year

Simple grilled chicken with a big salad. They can heat the chicken or have it cold with or in the salad.

Or sub the chicken with grilled steak tips. Both are good either hot or cold, can have leftovers in a wrap, etc.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • Springroz
    last year

My favorite was alwayschicken and brocolli. About 2 cups of any bechemel type sauce with a smidge of nutmeg, the shredded poached or roasted chicken, ad brocolli florets,blanched abit (I used to use frozen spears,but now, I would blanchsomefreshsome fresh) , layer in casserole, and top with parmesan.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Springroz
  • porkandham
    last year

I often do tacos/fajitas, and it’s always very well received. Marinate and grill chicken and/or steak. Slice. Saute peppers and onions. A couple of salsas, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, tortillas, chips. My grocery store does a good carrot cake, so I send that for dessert. I package everything separately and send it cold, so they can reheat and eat when they want.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked porkandham
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Greek Meatballs

1 lb lean ground beef I use 95%

1 lb ground pork

2 eggs

1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan/Romano cheese

1 bunch Italian parsley chopped

1 tablespoon Greek seasoning low salt

1/2 cup soft bread crumbs

1 big onion diced

1/2 big box fresh spinach, chopped

3 minced garlic cloves

2 tablespoons finely diced walnuts or pistachios

1 big lemon, fully zested and 1-2 tablespoons juice

olive oil

fresh pepper

Cook onion and garlic in olive oil slowly until translucent, add spinach, cook until fully wilted. Drain excess water or cook off.

In a large bowl, combine meats, eggs, seasonings, parsley, nuts, lemon juice, zest and bread crumbs.

Add spinach mixture. Incorporate everything well with hands. Form into balls and

Place on a rack over a foil lined jellyroll pan. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

for 2 1/2" meatballs. Tops should be light brown. Reduce time for smaller meatballs.

Good with feta cream sauce.

Makes 12-15 meatballs

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I love the online Meal train! Everything is right there for all to check and see and it is so convenient for addresses, specifications and seeing what others are bringing and when. I set them up all the time and it's very easy to do and use. They also send out reminders.

• Specific ibex
    last year

How about Smitten Kitchen’s Baked Farro with Summer Vegetables? I make it without the cheese, or sometimes with just a little parm on top. Very hearty, easy to reheat, Healthy and seasonal.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2021/08/baked-farro-with-summer-vegetables/

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Specific ibex
  • eld6161
    last year

Depending on how close a friend, ( when I am privy to their schedule) I have made a Chicken Kiev recipe that goes in the oven. I put cooking instructions on the outside. This way it can be dropped off early in the day and then popped in the oven at their convenience. i have also delivered hot wneh that made more sense. Add a large green mixed salad and a cold rice salad, roasted vegetables etc.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • deegw
    last year

I was going to suggest gazpacho as well. How about some kind of sheet pan dish - chicken, veg, lemon wedges. garlic, rosemary, etc. Or enchiladas? Costco makes some terrific ones (slightly spicy). They aren't particularly healthy but have lots of vegetables.

Also, why on earth would someone taunt in a thread about being kind to someone in need?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked deegw
  • kkay_md
    last year

I have given summer chowder (The Sunset Cookbook) with homemade sweet potato rolls (James Beard). That always seems to get a good reception (in any season).

mtnrdredux_gw thanked kkay_md
  • petalique
    last year

Healthful meals?

* Farro or wheatberry salad

*Salsas or Salads such as Black Bean salsa salad — blk beans, onion, tomato, jalapeño, lime, cilantro (on side), other seasonings such as cumin…

* mushroomed eggplant salad

Not So Healthy, but good:

* Country Pate with rustic artisan bread

* Cheeses — Gorgonzola dulce, aged Vermont Cheddar, French Feta

* Two or four ribeye steaks

Chicken Piccata

Pasta e Fagioli

Eggplant or zucchini rolls

Recipe for eggplant rolls https://www.365daysofbakingandmore.com/day-282-eggplant-rollatini/

mtnrdredux_gw thanked petalique
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I think I will go with either cooked steak or chicken (maye both) that can go into gyros or tacos, with a lot of sides and veggies. Provides the most flexibility and isn't heavy like casseroles. Probably also sliced peaches, angel food cake and whipped cream.

I may throw in either a quiche or spanakopita (like KSWL says, both are things that work for any meal), and definitely some mini muffins. One site recc including nice disposable plates etc., and i like that idea.

Eld - Chicken Kiev? Yum do tell.

• petalique
    last year

^^^ Sounds good.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked petalique
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

wow, looking through these ideas for dinner for us too!

Bumble, I def want to try those meatballs, something different for us. Thanks for posting.

• Kswl
    last year

In our area a website called Take Them a Meal is sometimes used for people who will need help long term. One of our friends was disgnosed with ALS and their different circles of friends who wanted to help could be coordinated much easier. That site also offers purchase and delivery of frozen meals if a person wants to help but doesnt cook or live close enough to deliver a meal in person. Mostly though, some uber-organizer friend (always a woman, naturally) sets it up and oversees, sending reminders.

adding, I love the idea of providing cooked beef or chicken for the recipients to use however they want— on salads or in fajitas, etc.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

If I were sick I would be happy with poached salmon or Omaha steaks too!

• localeater
    last year

A great side, that travels well, and is healthy, is a bean salad like this one. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14169/mexican-bean-salad/

I dont use this particular recipe, or any recipe at all, 3 cans different beans, corn(I take frozen, thaw, char in a cast record skillet with chili powder), add veg like red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, celery celery, red peppers, cilantro and a cumin-lime vinagrette. It looks really pretty in a mason jar too!

• Specific ibex
    last year

One last suggestion, if you might be contributing to the meal train for a while - Gina Homolka’s Skinny Taste Meal Prep cookbook has tons of healthy and delicious meals that make for simple to package up and reheat options. these arent the grimly boring prepped meals - i cook from it all the time .

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Specific ibex
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Meal train automates the reminders, and when you sign up you specify how and when it will remind you! And yes, you can send gift cards or deliveries etc.

Just looked at TTAM and it has recipes, too...cool.

• Funkyart
    last year

I think your plan is great, Mtn.. it is flexible and perfect for summer. Peaches are just coming in here and such a great treat.

I wish that someone had organized something like this when my dad was recovering from heart surgery and had cognitive issues and complications that lingered. For many months I ubered every day from work to my parents' house where I cooked dinner and then ubered back to my house around 9:30pm. I loved spending the time with my dad but the shopping/cooking amid a busy work schedule and just the emotional weight of what was going on was a lot to take. I managed but it would have been nice to have some days when I could just focus on my dad-- or catch up at home. I am sure their generous friends would have loved to have helped out a day or two a week.

What a great idea to add disposable plates -- I also sent along non-food items for a meal train for a family with 4 kids from tween to young adult. I added a summer popsicle puzzle, a popsicle mold and recipe book and a gift card to Rita's Italian Ice (which I knew they enjoyed based oh FB photos). Since it was the oldest child who was recovering, I thought it would be helpful to add some summer fun for the younger children.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

What a sweetheart you are, Funky.

I have a dear friend who literally texted another friend from her deathbed asking her to set up a meal train for her family. It was an honor to make that happen in her memory.

• deegw
    last year

oh mtn, that story brought tears to my eyes.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked deegw
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

In this day and age of conveniance, and Uber Eats, there is something so special about people taking the time to tend to one another, and be nurturing.

Mtn, I hope your friends are doing better soon.

Funky, you are always so thoughtful. I am so sorry about what happened when your father was in the hospital.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • eld6161
    last year

I just thought of something a friend did. She baked a large turkey! People could pick at it, make sandwiches etc.

Mtn, modify amount as needed. I usually do double

Chicken Kiev

4 chicken cutlets , I get the thin sliced so no need to pound it

1/2 cup each, bread crumbs, parm cheese

1 1/2 tsp oregano, divided

1/2 tsp garlic

1/4 tsp pepper

4TBS butter softened

1 TBS parsley

4 oz Montery Jack cut in strips

5 TBS butter, melted

Mix bread crumbs, parm 1 tsp oregano 1/2 garlic and the 1/4 pepper

In a bowl mix softened buttrt, parse,y and 1/2 tsp oregano

Spread the herb butter on lower edge top with the small strip of cheese, and roll tucking in the edges.

Dip in melted butter, then the crumb mixture.

Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until the next day.

Bake uncovered 420 20-30 minutes. Check to make sure it's done.

I like that it baked, not fried and you can make it early in morning and bake later.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

That sounds really good Eld, thx

• maddielee
    last year

Thank you for doing this for your friend.

Having been the recent recipient of many meal train meals, I know that I can not name a favorite meal. We have been bowled over by the outpouring of support from family and friends.

Pulled pork, cole slaw and baked beans is a big hit with my DH. As was a long cooked brisket. Both arrived with rolls to make sliders.

My appetite has changed. I’m rarely hungry and food tastes different to me now (known side effect of medicine). I do make myself eat, usually the protein element of each meal. And cheesecake, I eat lots of cheesecake. Friends are keeping me stocked after I mentioned to one that cheesecake still tasted good.

What was nice (and over and beyond generous) was when a dinner meal was delivered with extras. Extras being something like a quiche or muffins for breakfast. Or a container of chicken salad and fresh pita bread for lunch (with a bag of chips). Or some cheese and crackers for a snack.

And yes to using disposable containers and foil pans for the food. And written instructions for final preparations.

A couple weeks ago I was able to thank everyone, again, and put word out that we were in good enough shape to do our own shopping and cooking. I know my DH misses the wonderful food that used to fill our refrigerator.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maddielee
  • Funkyart
    last year

@maddielee.. So glad to hear that your wonderful friends were able to shower you and DH with such thoughtful and amazing meals. It is amazing what a community of friends and family can do to make life easier when the road gets rough. 💗

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Maddie, wish we were closer! I'm thinking a GW Mealtrain would be awesome. I still remember things people made for me when we had each child.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

When I was very sick, one of the things I enjoyed the most was some homemade vegetable soup.

• LynnNM
    last year

This healthy, delicious salad is from Wendy Polisi's internet blog. I make it at least once every 3 weeks, as it's so wonderful. It keeps well, too, for several days in the fridge. And, it's a very much "doc approved healthful main dish". I substitute feta for the goat cheese and use the tricolor quinoa, although the white is fine, as well. Depending on the time of year, I serve this main dish salad with either a fruit and cheese platter, fresh crusty bread, and/or a bowl of soup.

Apple, Pecan, Goat Cheese Quinoa Salad Serves 8

Ingredients: FOR SALAD

1 cup quinoa (tricolor or white)

2 cups vegetable broth or water

2 apples, diced (I prefer HoneyCrisp)

1/2 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped

1/2 cup dried cranberries

2 cups baby spinach, roughly torn

6 oz goat cheese or feta crumbles

Ingredients: FOR DRESSING

1/4 cup olive oil

2 TBS apple cider vinegar

2 TBS maple syrup

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (very important!)

Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1) Bring broth or water to a boil in a smallish pot. Add quinoa, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until broth is absorbed and quinoa has cooked.

2) While quinoa is cooking, prepare rest of salad ingredients in a serving bowl, except for the cranberries and the goat or feta cheese.

3) Whisk together all dressing ingredients.

4) When quinoa has cooked, you can add it warm to the salad ingredients or wait until it's cooled. Toss to combine. When ready to serve, toss with dressing and sprinkle the dried cranberries and feta or goat cheese over the top.

5) Enjoy!!!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked LynnNM
  • nekotish
    last year

While I realize that this certainly doesn't work in every situation, when I had my twins, my aunt told me that she would come over every Monday and prepare a meal and while doing so would do some laundry, clean the bathroooms or whatever I felt needed doing. She said that she would be there any way so that I should nap if I could or go out for an hour or two and she would watch the babies. Pretty sure she saved my life!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nekotish
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Some good ideas here! i like to take a roast and all the trimmings or a ham. Add veggies, bread and dessert of your choice! Often, i will take a jug of iced tea. A big yes to everything in disposable containers and its nice to take disposable plates/cups and silverware too.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Tina Marie
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’m late contributing, but would add that even in summer, a crockpot chuck roast is great for french dip sandwiches, or served alone and hot with pan roast vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions) , and any other side desired.

A dear friend just has been at home with Hospice assistance and enjoyed lemon sorbet when she could eat. You could tuck in a carton just in case, Mtn, and some fruit popsicles which always seem to be enjoyed in summer.

• teeda
    last year

Sous vide egg bites are now my go to when delivering a light meal. I use small canning jars, and vary the ingredients--bacon or ham, fresh herbs, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes--etc. I typically use gruyere or cheddar. I add a tossed salad and good bread. Just reheat the jars in the microwave and they are really good any time of the day. Here's a basic recipe Egg Bites. You can also make them in an instant pot with silicone egg bite forms. Both are good, but I think the sous vide version is far superior. I'm sorry to hear your friends are going through such a difficult time. You are a good friend.

• olychick
    last year

teeda, for those of us without a sous vide machine or instapot, do you think they could be simmered in a slow water bath in a regular pan, as long as they were covered by water? I love the sous vide egg bites at Starbucks and have thought of making them at home. Theirs are low fat with just egg whites, I think, but I'm sure the recipe could be adjusted with lower fat ingredients. Thanks!

• teeda
    last year

olychick, sorry but I don't know the answer to that. I would imagine it could work, as sous vide is essentially slow cooking in water. I just worry about pasteurization, which is why I love my sous vide and the great information I've read on Serious Eats. Maybe someone else has tried it?

ETA: Here's an oven recipe I googled, however I can't imagine that they would be as moist. Oven Egg Bites

• Olychick
    last year

Thank you...I'll take a look there, Teeda.

• Kswl
    last year

Oly, I make a similar dish in muffin tins in the oven. It lets everybody have an omelette type breakfast with ingredients of their choice without me making them one at a time. I’ll try to find the recipe I first used for these and post it here; now I just wing it. This is a breakfast I made a few years ago, adding fruit to the meal and I believe we also had English muffins. I also will add salad to them as a light lunch. My typical mix-in choices are finely minced spring onion, bacon, crumbled sausage, cheese, spinach, diced tomato, diced red bell pepper, and fresh herbs.

This picture is from 2018, the first or second time i made them. ETA: I used the Easy Omelette Cups recipe at Tasty; however, I never did add the hash browns the bottom of the muffin tin compartments as I’ve never bought them and we don’t need the carbs anyway!

• Oakley
    last year

"This family has been hit by tragedy and they will need meal help indefinitely." Yep, that's why I signed up. There are certain tragedies where those who are immediately affected cannot even get off the floor let alone cook.

Even people they don't know join to help out.

• Oakley
    last year

I haven't read all the replies yet but I think a variety of sub sandwiches cut into small sections from a deli would be a good option. They can be eaten hot or cold, anytime of the day. A side or two would come in hand.

With it being summer, sandwiches is a standard dish.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Fresh is always appreciated but also often goes to waste. No one not an app, not a bff can predict what people care to eat when, or what they have the energy to pull together. By and large most people should stick to things that can be frozen and eaten when the troubled care to.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

By and large most people should stick to things that can be frozen and eaten when the troubled care to.

Not if your recipients don't eat that way. When my kids were growing up, they didn't know what a casserole was, and I do not exaggerate. I noticed above how much people enjoyed non-casserole, cleaner eating options. Also this family has specified the days and hours that dinners will be delivered and knowing them I think they would do their best not to waste anything.

Fresh is always appreciated but also often goes to waste.

IME this happens most when there is no coordination

You are really going to lose it when I tell you what struck me this morning: ceviche! I just recalled that they love ceviche. Maybe a little appetizer of it!

• salonva
    last year

Meal trains are such a great thing ( and the site is such a good way for coordination). Friends set one up for my daughter after her newest baby. It was so nice to be able to plan, to see what other meals were coming or had just been. I think it was set for about a month, and not every single day had one but it was so much food. They did end up freezing several because the portions were so generous that there were always left over (and they don't waste food either).

I think Arcy has a point about it being able to be frozen at some point.

My contributions are usually quiche ( which freezes super well) and some chicken pot pie kind of casserole, so for sure not too foodie but pretty versatile.

I remember from some of what she received, that tacos and such were really enjoyed, as was every form of chicken amd meat balls.:)

The chicken kiev that Eld posted looks great as does the idea of the lettuce wraps (but that needs to eaten that day). I have never made kiev and I did not know it had cheese in it. I always thought it was just butter and seasoning.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I do not think it traditionally has cheese. But this is a rare case when using cheese instead of the traditional (all butter) might actually reduce the calories!

• User
    last year

The last time I did a meal train, my husband made Posole. I'm from New Mexico and so is one of the recipients, so we knew it would be particularly special comfort food for them. We were able to include red chile that we brought home from our last trip.

For summer healthy food, how about chicken breasts prepared your favorite way, with a side of rice and green beans? That will keep.

You might want to find out from the organizer if it needs to be frozen. The point of "meal train" is to set up a schedule so each giver brings the food on the day that it will actually be needed.

• eld6161
    last year

Mtn, funny. I shared the original recipes , but no longer do the butter/ herb spread.