SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Cheap tips to save money on heat / air costs

I would like to hear any inexpensive ideas I might use to save money on my heat and air costs.

My house is 2400 sq.ft, and my monthly electric bill in the Summer and Winter is in the neighborhood of $300. There are a few short weeks in Spring and Summer where I can turn off the heat pump, and those months drop down to $150! So I know that the heat pump is a major expense.

The house was built in 1993, and I bought it in 2004. I'm not sure how old the heat pump is, but at least 18 years since it was here when I got here. Over the years the outside part has been completely rebuilt, so the only thing that's original is the case on the outdoor part, the hoses, air ducts, and air handler.

I clean the coils on the air handler twice per year, if not more. I leave ceiling fans on, on every floor, hoping to circulate cool air better.

I recently changed my air filters from MERV 11 to MERV 5, recognizing that I was just adding extra work to the air handler unnecessarily. I've also started leaving the air handler fan on all the time, hoping that it's circulating the colder air in the basement throughout the house better.

I have a new roof, but the windows are original. I have black-out energy efficient curtains on every window, and all but 4 of them are closed all the time (the other 4 have plants, and they need some light).

I have not yet purchased a heat map program to see where I'm having losses.

I have a smart thermostat, and at 9pm it starts dropping the temperature slowly until it gets to 67 at 2am (bed time). At 9:30am the thermostat switches to 75, and today (81 degrees outside) it got there by just before 1pm; eg, 8 degrees in 3 1/2 hours.

I recognize that, best case scenario, I might could save $100 /month. That makes big jobs like replacing the heat pump, air handler, or windows impractical. I'm also in a rural area with no good HVAC techs, so most labor is going to have to be done by me.

Any other affordable suggestions on things I might try to save some money here?

Comments (26)