SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbrigidsweeney

Adding chandelier in dining nook - remove can lights? Or keep them?

TK TK
last year

Hi there,

I recently moved into a new condo that has a lot of recessed LED lights throughout the open-plan living areas. I am installing this chandelier in the dining nook. My electrician is going to have to wire it in between two can lights to center it over the table. My options are 1. remove the can lights, patch and paint. (The ceiling was repainted right before I move in, so I still have the paint -- hoping a painter can blend it and not repaint the whole ceiling.) 2. Keep the cans on either side of the chandelier but have them all wired to the same switch (will be dimmable). 3. Install a new switch so the chandelier will be controlled separately from the cans. This will require not only wiring but cutting open the wall to install a new switch, so will also require patching and painting.

Question: Which option is optimal? Will having only the chandelier (with two 60-watt bulbs) be too dark? On the other hand, would a chandelier in between two cans in a small space look weird? I know having all three lighting sources on the same switch isn't optimal, but is it an acceptable compromise to avoid having to patch and repaint a place that was painted before I bought it? Photos of the chandelier and the space attached. Thanks so much!

Comments (3)