SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Bristle paint brush as pastry or basting brush? Do you?

petalique
last year
last modified: last year

I have silicone basting brushes, and they are okay. But I truly like natural bristle basting and pastry brushes. I use different brushes for spicy, savory, an plain pastry that I do not want influence by something pungent.

I have purcgased and used all soerts of these brushes over the years. I do not ”soak” any of them in water because that hastens their falling apart or becoming unglued.

I have on occasion, in the past, used those natural bristle ”chip” brushes intended for painting. Even though I’ve washed them, I pause, thinking that there may be some unhealthy, non food safe substance used in their manufacture. However, I relish that they come in such handy sizes (.5, 1, 2, and 3 inch) and cost about $.50 to $1 each versus the cooking store $5 and up brush.

An aquaintance (who does not cook much) swears by the hardware department ”Chip” brushes for basting.

I have been intending to bring up the subject on a few forums, but a news item in today’s Apple feed has motivated me to post. This was in a Food Network piece about how a hardware store can offer practical and cheaper cooking tools. (see photo below)

No one is going to rat you out, but do any of you use haedware chip brushes instead of pastry brushes made for food? They often look identical.

I have ceased using chip brushes for cooking, but might be pursuaded to resume.

Comments (26)