SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Pet peeves food edition!

amylou321
last year

I do not concern myself with others food preferences.

I do not care if you dump hot sauce over every morsel of food you eat.

I do not care if you eat your steak well done.

I am unconcerned with the amount of butter or salt someone else cooks with.

I do not see an issue with someone eating in the car or in front of the tv or standing up over the sink at 3 am.

No, MY biggest food related pet peeve is unsolicited advice on it. Let me explain. While at work, I have no designated break time or break room. I eat at my desk in full view of others. That's okay with me really. I do not want to rely on someone else to relieve me for a break, even if it were possible (its not). It seems impossible for human to see another human eating without commenting on it. This last week, I have been given recipes for "better" versions of what I was eating or cooking, had people lean forward to try to get a better look at what I was eating so they can comment on whether or not its something they would enjoy, like I give a rip, people telling me how starving they were and how I was mean for having such good smelling food around, and I also had someone inform me that they heard that I was doing the weight loss challenge that my job is hosting( I think they overheard me and a coworker discussing it) and that I really should not be eating at 9pm, it will make me fatter apparently. NO ONE ASKED YOU!!!!! This is not unique to the workplace though. I can remember getting irrationally angry growing up because my parents and siblings could NOT keep their opinions on my eating habits to themselves. In school too. WHY is it so hard for people to LET go of the fact that people have different likes than they do? You saying "ewwwww" to something I like is not going to make me like it less. It will make me like YOU less though.

Maybe I am just grumpy when it happens because I am hungry when I eat and hunger is not a good thing for my friendliness. I usually do not even respond to the comments at all. Ugh.

I will admit, I do have a food pet peeve that involves other people eating. And that is when I can HEAR them eating. It makes me CRINGE to hear someone smacking and moaning over food. But even at its worst, I do NOT ever comment on it, cause that would be rude.

I also have a BIG pet peeve regarding food professionals. I HATE when I am watching a show and some head up their backside chef starts spouting about the "correct" way to do something. I saw a clip on tiktok of that show where amateur cooks are competing and the judges are fancy chefs, I cannot remember the name of it. The skinny little bald man was carrying on berating someone for using garlic and onion powder, because it was not "correct" to do that in a professional kitchen. BIG FAT EYE ROLL!" The correct way to cook is to make it taste good, dummy! That goes back to me being aggravated that people cannot seem to accept differences in food preferences I suppose. He just kept talking about this woman like she spit on the food or something. No, honey, some people do not like bland food. If you do, that's fine but it does not make it "Correct!"

Any one else have food pet peeves? Or am I just crazy?

Comments (102)

• Elizabeth
    last year

I quietly say no thank you to pork/pork products. It goes well usually. Sometimes I just request a Kosher meal. Of course, I dislike being challenged on it. I am glad to hear that the poster above has never seen her friends or family have an allergic reaction. It shows they have good control over their food intake.

amylou321 thanked Elizabeth
  • foodonastump
    last year
    last modified: last year

My main pet peeve re food in the office is strong smelling food. I love fish and Indian food, too, but stinking up the office is not ok. Obviously most food will smell when warmed up, but there are milder options that are less overwhelming.

amylou321 thanked foodonastump
  • Related Discussions

September Conversation Thread: Your Pet Peeve

Q

Comments (42)
    I keep a lot of notes. I started out just putting everything into one big document but it made it so big and disorganized that I finally just started keeping separate ones. Just named them simply, "Gourds", "Garlic", "Tomatoes", "Peppers", etc so I can find them quickly. I never print them out cause then I lose them! Or they get wet and the ink runs. I have found that some things grow better in containers, some grow better at ground level and some grow better in raised beds. And all that probably depends on the type of soil a person has. Mine is black gumbo clay. Beth, I'm proud of you for having the resolve to get off government assistance. I deplore the way the program is run. I would so love to see them add classes for the people on their programs. Many of them don't even know how to cook so they're spending those food stamps on expensive convenience foods instead of, say, buying a whole chicken. I get three good meals out of one whole chicken. When I'm done with it, there's nothing left but some soft bones and a little limp skin, which I bury out in the garden and then put something on top of it so the dog can't dig it up. But anyway, education is the key, to my mind, and you are wise to be trying to learn to garden. Even if a person can only grow something in a pot, they gain knowledge from the experience. There was a man selling corn out of his truck in a parking lot near here over the weekend. He was getting $7 a dozen for his ears of corn and they weren't real big. And he had a few black diamond watermelon but he wouldn't sell them because he said the ones he had sold had come back because they weren't ripe yet. He was selling them for $10 each. He'll probably be back next weekend with ripe ones, if all this rain doesn't split and ruin them all. Think of all the corn you could grow for $7, and all the watermelon you could grow for $10. Even if the rain did split the melons, if you got out there right away, brught them in and processed them, you'd still get good value. You can save seed from grocery store vegetables. Sometimes they'll be hybrids so they won't grow exactly like what you bought, but they'll grow something. I've gotten some wonderful cantaloupe by having the seed in the compost bin germinate. And I planted grocery store Arkansas tomatoes this year. They made beautiful round tomatoes but the flavor wasn't nearly as good as George's Baker Family Heirlooms. Sometimes I check out the marked down produce just for the seed that I might get. Last year I grew spaghetti squash from the seed of a grocery store purchase.
    ...See More

Happy New Year, Cold cold weather and kitchen pet peeves..

Q

Comments (21)
    CAthy, I'm happy as long as the tank heater is keeping up, I HATE chopping ice from the tank. Actually, chopping it isn't the bad part, it's dipping the ice chunks out with a hay fork, I always get wet, and it's cold. Ugh. Hate that..... Wind chill factors of 20 to 30 below zero ought to tell me, I've made a wooden cover for the stock tank with a hole just big enough for the animals to put their heads through, I'm hoping it helps, at least enough to keep the tank unfrozen. We set a bale this afternoon, a big round bale will last 3-4 days, so hopefully it'll last until Wednesday morning, when it breaks a little and will be back up to a high of 17, and no below zero temps. I can do everything else manually, but the tractor doesn't always want to start when it's that cold and I need the tractor to move those big bales. As for school, they will probably not have school Monday or Tuesday, we have so many rural students that ride busses and it's just not safe to have small children out in that weather. When it hits zero they are not allowed to go outside for recess and when it's colder, they eventually give up and close school. Annie
    ...See More

Pet Peeves - Not TV

Q

Comments (27)
    It drives me crazy to stand in the grocery line and wait while someone digs to find their money out to pay. Or for them to carry on a long conversation with the cashier after the have finally paid. Can't they see there are people waiting in line? OR, they forgot something and they want someone to go get it for them. I could go on and on about the grocery store. I know that certain cashiers are good and I try to go down their isle. So many crazy people these day. One day I was in a local grocery. There was a mom and daughter that had a huge cart full of groceries. I was behind them in line as they checked out. The cashier was clicking along when suddenly the lady handed her her card to see how much money was on it. There was only $17.00 and some change on it. There they were with all these groceries rang up, already bagged and in her cart and not enough money to pay for them. Here we are waiting in line behind her while she decides what to have taken off. The lady finally just left without taking anything. The cashier had worked so hard to help her. There was an older gentleman behind me that leaned over and said quietly in my ear, " I remember when we didn't have plastic".
    ...See More

Kitchen pet peeves

Q

Comments (77)
    My Scottish Grandmother used to tell a story that always made me cringe because there would be no way I would eat it. They emigrated to Canada in 1927. They had a big house close to downtown and the shops. My Grandma worked hard but they could never afford to buy a good cut of meat, they ate mostly organ meat or sausages, Grandpa used to make head cheese (gross) I remember the eyeballs floating in the pot when I was a child when he made it. My Mom had a big German Shepherd she called Lindy Hop after the dance. One day my Grandma looked out the kitchen window and noticed the dog had something in her mouth and was trying to rip paper off of it. My Grandma went to see what the dog had and it turned out to be a big roast beef still wrapped in butcher paper. and string. The dog either stole it or someone dropped it on the way out of the butchers. Grandma grabbed it from the dog, took it in the house, washed it off and they had it for dinner. Meat they hadn't had for a long time. In this day and age no way would I have eaten that meat but during those depression years I guess you would do what you had to do to feed your family. Grandma said the meat was fresh and because it was wrapped it was clean,. Poor Lindy lost her prize but after a boil to make soup she did get the bone. haha I can't tell you how many times I heard that story.
    ...See More
  • Elizabeth
    last year

I have seen "No fish" signs posted near workplace microwaves. Good idea.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"I am glad to hear that the poster above has never seen her friends or family have an allergic reaction. It shows they have good control over their food intake."

No, I think you misunderstood -- they're not allergic (or sensitive) to anything...

amylou321 thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • annie1992
    last year

I tend to not try to make choices for others, including what they eat. Although I like to cook and try new things, I'm happy with peanut butter if it's shared with someone I care about. People are more important to me than whatever my opinions about their food choices.

I did have a secretary, before I retired, who ate pizza EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I don't particularly like pizza, but shrugged it off, in spite of the fact that the break room was adjoining my office. I didn't normally use the breakroom, I ate at my desk and had my own coffee pot in there, as the constant procession of lawyers and police officers wanting a cup was disruptive to the rest of the office. That secretary decided that the smell of my coffee brewing was bothersome and "stinky", and that I needed to start bringing a Thermos so she didn't have to smell my coffee. I informed her that (a) I was the boss and (b) when I didn't have to smell the pizza, I'd consider doing something about the coffee. She had a kind of minor tantrum, but the rest of the office was tired of her drama and started coming to my office for coffee and carrying their cups past her desk. She finally gave up, and I realized that the rest of the staff didn't call her "Baby D" for no reason.

She's still working there and I'm retired, but I met one of the other staff for lunch recently and she told me "Baby D" still has pizza every single day, and that the new boss kept the coffee pot, LOL.

Annie

amylou321 thanked annie1992
  • nickel_kg
    last year

I keep thinking this thread is about our pets' food peeves. Such as, my border collie won't touch a raw vegetable but my choc lab loves broccoli stems, green beans, cauliflower, summer squash, etc. Border collie stands and looks askance as choc lab happily cronch-cronch-cronches. Maybe it's the loud chewing noises that are objectionable? lol.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • plllog
    last year

Mxk3, I'm thinking that people don't have pretend allergies around people who have real ones. I rarely have occasion to mention my allergies IRL, though I'll bring them up in the Cooking Forum to remind people that adding common allergens to cooking for groups has issues. Considering that bacon has become almost a universal condiment, it must make Elizabeth's ability to share meals difficult.

Something I've noticed is that there are a lot of people who seem to feel better when they give up ”gluten” whether they have a real reaction to it or not. Some just have a mild sensitivity, with a cumulative effect that magnifies it because there's so much gluten in unexpected places. Some are actually sensitive to FODMAP carbohydrates which are in the same grains as gluten proteins, so they have no issues with isolated small exposures to gluten itself, making their friends think they're faking, when they do indeed have reactions to the grains themselves. FODMAP reactions aren't usually life threatening, but range from uncomfortable to distressing, or sometimes just general malaise, And another group of no-gluteners just try it because they don't feel as well as they should, and whether it was the gluten, something in modern hybridization (some can't eat modern wheat, but do fine on ancient grains), FODMAPs, some other allergen, an insulin-related issue, or just being forced to be mindful of their intakes and eating a more balsnced diet rather than bopping from carb to carb, grain to grain, they do feel better when they change their eating.

I get the peeve of having to hear about it all the time. That can be a bore! Though they probably go on about it because they're still trying to figure out what it is that bothers them. There are a lot more interesting ways to make oneself interesting than carrying on about fake allergies. People will do all kinds of odd things, so I'm not doubting that you know fakers. Just, please, try to have compassion before labelling them all as fakers just because they don't have it all figured out yet, and aren't sick enough for expensive medical interventions,

amylou321 thanked plllog
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

An amusing reference to office lunch odors, used to express dislike of someone, was offered by Al Franken with respect to Ted Cruz:

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I think a lot of people confuse intolerances for allergies. My mother would say she was allergic to scallops (which she loved) , but according to the medical definition, she was only intolerant of them.

amylou321 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"Mxk3, I'm thinking that people don't have pretend allergies around people who have real ones."

Um...that would be me with the actual allergy that requires emergency treatment and my family with the play allergies....so my situation doesn't align with your statement.

I'm well aware of food intolerances and non-celiac gluten sensitivity. But funny how if there's something the pretenders really want to eat...say a piece of delicious chocolate cake....suddenly it's ok. I call BS on that.

Maybe it's just my family.... {sigh}

• Ally De
    last year

Mxk3 - I know exactly what you're trying to say. I see it in my world too.

I think (?) sometimes some people try to hang a "medical" label on their reason for not wanting to do something, rather than owning that they don't want to do or eat something because they just don't like it.

I've seen this play out a few different times - had someone claim they were "highly allergic" to even the smell of onions. Nope. They don't like onions and don't like the smell of them, but there is no medical basis underlying it. I agree with you gluten is the new hot topic du jour, and a whole lot of people are sure they have gluten allergies or sensitivities. However they don't seem to be very clear what that actually means...

There is a difference between not liking something, vs. actually being allergic. So yeah, it's not just your family and I hear you. :)

amylou321 thanked Ally De
  • Lars
    last year

Fish can be heated gently in a toaster oven without smelling up the whole room - it's the microwave that causes problems. The texture of fish changes in the MW, and so that is another reason not to use it.

I make a Japanese Shrimp Udon Noodle soup, and when I make it, I cook the shrimp separately and the peel and devein it at that point. When I serve the soup, I put cold shrimp in the bottom of the bowl and add very hot soup to it. This heats up the shrimp without overcooking it and gives you more control. I never add all of the shrimp to a pot of soup - only to individual bowls when serving.

I would also take this soup to work and heat up the soup in the MW without the shrimp and then add cold shrimp to the soup after it was hot. It tastes much better this way, and there is no problem with the smell.

Shrimp should never be put in the MW anyway, as they can turn rubbery.

I don't know why people have a problem with someone else eating Ramen noodles. There are a lot of noodle restaurants on Sawtelle in West L.A. A lot of them use pork broth, and so you have to be careful if you do not eat pork. This neighborhood used to be called Little Osaka until 2015, but I still call it that.

amylou321 thanked Lars
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

I guess I share a Peeve with Elizabeth….. people arguing over your not eating an allergen. My GS and I are highly allergic to fin fish, and we get people always telling us that Fish Stock is OK. NO IT’S NOT! Or some other food fried in the same fat as fish. IT’S NOT OK!

I agree that certain foods should NOT be reheated in a common setting.

Lars, I’ve found that doing what you do with shrimp works really well, and I do it too.

amylou321 thanked CA Kate z9
  • patriciae_gw
    last year

I can agree with the allergy comments. Yes, people have allergies and they can most certainly be life threatening. Cashews is one of those-I merely don't tolerate them anymore. Lots of people have tree nut allergies. I think the main reason people will bore you senseless with their imaginary food issues is to give themselves something to talk about. Still it is not as bad as having to deal with someone who is Vegan. I don't personally care but it makes going out to eat or cooking for them a chore. Why does the vegetarian get to choose the restaurant?

Food intolerances are just aggravating. I am intolerant of onions and garlic. This is tragic for me but I keep it to myself mostly. I can take something for it. Oddly it doesn't include the whole family. I tolerate leeks, shallots and spring onions in reasonable quantities. Watermelon is the other tragedy. I would have to just not eat it at someone's home. Still I am the only person who needs to know. It isn't that interesting a thing. I knew a woman once who claimed she was allergic to lemons. It formed the majority of her conversation and apparently people found it tiresome as I was told by more than one person that they had fed her something with lemon in it. I am not sure if they actually wanted her to die. I personally would not encourage people to do that of course. She had no discernable reaction. Well thank heaven for that. You can usually find something to feed people but I don't want to hear about what you cant eat when you show up at my door.

amylou321 thanked patriciae_gw
  • Elizabeth
    last year

You are so right about not wanting to hear all the details about others food allergies and sensitivities. I don't explain mine and often just say I keep Kosher. While not actually true, it shortcuts the conversation.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"Why does the vegetarian get to choose the restaurant?"

One of life's mysteries, indeed.

• plllog
    last year

With allergens it can depend on quantity. I can eat a bite or two of fish and not die, but had one of the worst reactions ever to some shrimp (which I can eat) which was cooked in fish stock. That's lots of broken down fish. And we were on an over the ocean patio, so the ambient smells overrode anything that might have come from the food. My worst reaction to coconut was when it wasn't actually eaten, but my mouth had been exposed to raw coco-fibers. Hiding an allergen in food doesn't disprove the allergy, because if it was below the tasting it level, unlike my strong reactions, it might have been below the noticeable reaction level. Noticeable, because inflamed mucous membranes or queasy tummy or weird tingle or itch, or (Heaven forfend) a slight swelling of the airways, from a small reaction, might not have had the blame put on it from an unnoticed allergen. The sneaky stuff is VERY dangerous. Be rude if you want, and say, "Yeah, we know you can't have lemons, but it's time for a new subject." Potentially killing someone because you never know when just a little bit is going to provoke the life-threatening reaction is evil. So I'm adding poisoning people to my list of food peeves!

Mxk3, I apologize. I didn't realize you were talking about family. Family do weird stuff for weird reasons. I get why it drives you bonkers.

amylou321 thanked plllog
  • Kathsgrdn
    last year

The worst workplace microwave smell is burnt popcorn. Awful. Had a coworker who would sometimes bring in some type of fish and it smelled rotten. Other people would bring in fish dishes but it never smelled that rank. I'm so glad I work from home.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Got a salad from Zaxbys today to eat at work. A grilled Cobb salad with ranch, no fried onions please. I have had it in front of me for 10 minutes and have had comments on it by every single person who has graced my presence. "The fried chicken one is better." "Man that looks good, I am STARVING." "I do not like ranch, you should have got Thousand Island." "You on a diet???? If you are on a diet a salad like THAT wont help." "Let me get that bread, you don't need it." I told them all that it is dangerous to disturb The Night Minion during feeding time. Ugh.

Another only slightly related to food pet peeve. About a week ago, not even a full week ago in fact, I cleaned out our shared fridge at work. It is shared by 5 people, and it was absolutely disgusting. I wore 2 pairs of gloves and a mask to prevent the gagging that always comes with such a task. I filled up 4 trash bags of old or unrecognizable food and used an entire bottle of Lysol all purpose cleaner to get it all cleaned out and ready to use. I wrote a very kind and gentle email to my coworkers asking everyone nicely to stay on top of the items they put in there. My boss responded by adding that everyone needs to take any items they keep in there HOME when they work off their last shift of the week. Well, not even a week later, and it is jammed full again. I mean stuff falling out and stacked up on top of other stuff. It is a standard size refrigerator so its not like its a mini fridge. And everyone of course claims that none of it is theirs. And no, no one uses our fridge but us. SO annoying. All I tend to keep in there are drinks, and I bring my food for the night, so its not like I need the room, but it is annoying that I did all that nasty work for them to do that again. I guarantee the food that is stacked in there now will be rotting away in there 2 months from now. I would really really hate to see the state of their houses if that nastiness does not bother them. Gross!

And do not get me started on people who feel free to help themselves to others peoples food or drinks with out asking..... I have had many many drinks go missing here, and of course, no one admits to taking them.....

• Ally De
    last year

The shared office refrigerator - one of many things I don't miss about working in an office.

amylou321 thanked Ally De
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Annie, the smell of coffee makes me very nauseous. BUT I still make 2 pots every morning, one for the day shift people and one for my truck drivers. My problem is not theirs, after all. And my SO drinks coffee when the weather is cold, I would never ask him not to make it. My problem is not his either. The scent fades and so does my ill feeling. And I make coffee scented candles to sell because they are popular. I hate them, but they make me money..........Just one of those things. The audacity of your secretary though!

• arkansas girl
    last year

Amylou, you are just going to have to make peace with people commenting on a big meal sitting in front of you at your desk! Getting angry isn't going to help anything and people are just going to say something because it's just human nature to do so! I am quite positive if I saw a delicious looking meal sitting in front of me at someone's desk, I would also make some sort of a comment. I'd probably say "where is that from, it looks delicious! How is it?" I'm always curious about what restaurants around our town are any good and what they have.

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • Elizabeth
    last year

Before you put your drinks in the fridge, use a permanent marker and write your name or initials very boldly over the label so it is clearly visible when someone is drinking it.

• User
    last year

Put a bottle filled with summer pond water in the fridge. One gulp of that, they’ll think twice about stealing again.

amylou321 thanked User
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

I don't know about that AG. It being human nature that is. I do not ever feel the urge to comment when someone is trying to eat in peace. Just as I do not see someone reading and interrupt them to ask about the book they are reading, express my disdain or delight for the genre, and then listing my reading recommendations. (people do that to me at work as well. I cant read, watch something, listen to anything, or eat anything around other people it seems. So irritating) I leave people in peace. But maybe that is just because I do not like to be bothered in such a way. My meals are often interrupted by work duties, which is fine, it doesn't bother me to have to pause to do my job. But I do not like people giving commentary on my life and my every action. I remember being frustrated into tears in kindergarten because this little busybody brat would NOT SHUT HER STUPID MOUTH UP about the cherry pie filling my mom packed in my lunch every day. I finally just asked her to stop packing it, which hurt both our feelings because it was one of my favorite things. I still get frustrated thinking about it.

• samkarenorkaren
    last year

Amylou I had the same issue with cleaning out our office mini fridge. It was disgusting at times so I got a great idea. I emailed everyone and posted a sign...

Fridge will be cleaned out on this day and time.

Eat It...Take it Home or Out it Goes.

Ended up throwing out a lot of disgusting containers...including Tupperware.

We no longer have a fridge as it broke. I carry a small Coleman cooler for my lunch.

amylou321 thanked samkarenorkaren
  • nickel_kg
    last year

One of the places I worked had a Clean Friday Fridge policy. Meaning, every Friday afternoon about 2:00pm ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING in the fridge went into the trash. No exceptions. Nothing allowed back in until Monday morning. If you wanted it you'd better have it out of there before the designated Fridge Police arrived.

I think it worked because most of us in that area valued a clean fridge. If the majority had been slobs, they might have over-ruled us non-slobs.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    last year

Am I the only one who hate those stupid adhesive labels on every fruit?

And how do you know if the adhesives are food grade?

dcarch

amylou321 thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • CA Kate z9
    last year

I asked this question at lunch today. One lady said that one of hers was food in a man's beard/or mustach. Yah, I have to agree. (Sorry guys.)

• plllog
    last year

Another peeve—changing the ingredients. I got a weird feeling on my first bite of a new container of my favorite grocery store gelato, and checked the ingredients. Sure enough, there's an allergen listed as ”or”. It was too little to have a reaction, but I can sense it. Ugh.

amylou321 thanked plllog
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

"Am I the only one who hate those stupid adhesive labels on every fruit?

And how do you know if the adhesives are food grade?"

That's to identify the item at the checkstand.

Yes, always food grade adhesives.

• Kathsgrdn
    last year

Speaking of work place fridges, we had mostly women in our department, 2 men. They had the most crap in the fridge and neither one ever put themselves down to clean it. We had to do it every month and sign off that we did it. I only ever used it when we had potlucks, maybe once a year. I still put myself down to clean it but would get annoyed that those two never cleaned it.

Being a government facility we also had to throw out anything not dated and outdated.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
    last year

"---- That's to identify the item at the checkstand.---"

So the checkstand clerk can tell which are bananas and which are oranges?

Why only fruits? why not carrots and squashes?

"---Yes, always food grade adhesives.--"

And the ink?

I am going to collect all the labels and stick them on each and every grape, and put them back on the store shelve next April First. I want to see the reaction on customers' faces. :-)

dcarch

• functionthenlook
    last year

I dislike the fruit stickers also. I swear some are super glued on the fruit. Last tomatoes I bought the stickers wouldn't come off without tearing the skin.

amylou321 thanked functionthenlook
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

"So the checkstand clerk can tell which are bananas and which are oranges?"

Large avocadoes and oranges vs medium ones, different prices. Gravenstein apples versus winesap. Too many reasons to mention.

• Elizabeth
    last year

There is a number code on fruit and veg stickers that corresponds with the price in the checkout computer.

• Elizabeth
    last year

There is a number code on fruit and veg stickers that corresponds with the price in the checkout computer.

• User
    last year

Am I the only one who hate those stupid adhesive labels on every fruit?

They are PLU codes. Price look-up.

“PLU codes are 4- or 5-digit numbers and appear on a small sticker applied to the individual piece of fresh produce. The PLU number identifies produce items based upon various attributes which can include the commodity, variety, growing methodology (e.g., organic), and the size.“

amylou321 thanked User
    last year

And who reads those codes? Not me, the shopper. And who has to waste time to peel them off? Me, the shopper.

If those sticky codes are good, why not put them on all produces, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes,----- why only fruits?

I was in a huge banana plantation in Costa Rica. There was a large area with lots and lots workers sticking those stickers on each banana. And who pays those workers? Me the shopper.

dcarch

• Elizabeth
    last year

Tomatoes have stickers. Items that are bagged have a bar code.

• User
    last year

dcarch, I don’t read them either even though I have time to. Some folks do read them, though.

I suppose it is like ingredients, nutritional values, origins on packaged and canned goods. More information for the consumer.

amylou321 thanked User
  • Bookwoman
    last year

I read them on apples, to make sure that I'm getting the variety I want. Sometime the Galas or Fujis wind up in the Honeycrisp pile.

amylou321 thanked Bookwoman
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

"There is a number code on fruit and veg stickers that corresponds with the price in the checkout computer."

To be more precise, the number corresponds to a unique product item in the store's computer system that when entered returns the proper price for that day.. The computer system also records the sale of the item for inventory tracking purposes. At anything larger than a mom and pop operation, IT systems have records of inventory levels, individual item ins (deliveries) and outs (customer purchases). When the on-hand level declines to a certain, pre-defined amount, a reorder is triggered without human intervention.

Such systems save money by increasing efficiency. If you're too busy or too bothered to pull off a sticker, you can eat it or cut it off. Or develop a higher threshold of things to get upset by.

• plllog
    last year

There used to be highly professional checkers who knew each piece of produce by code name. One, who was a family favorite a couple of decades ago, was a checker while getting an advanced nursing degree. And after, because she couldn't deal with the pay cut she'd have to take to work as a nurse. Now, they have less well paid workers, who know how to push things past scanners. And there are a heck of a lot more codes, for the variety we treasure. In addition, the PLU's become good trackers for contamination issues and the like. Instead of just "banana", the code identifies the source.

amylou321 thanked plllog
  • Bluebell66
    last year

I mostly have just mild pet peeves....putting the aforementioned hot sauce (DH) or ketchup (friend) on everything, only eating spaghetti when going out to eat no matter what restaurant and if the restaurant doesn't serve spaghetti she doesn't eat (45 yr old former co-worker), buying 6 different jars of salsa to painstakingly create just the right combination (friend).....

Some of my siblings and their families and I travel together internationally maybe once a year. All of us love to try new food with the exception of my almost 50-yr old sister-in-law. She doesn't even make an attempt to try something new and if she can't find something on the menu that might work, she ends up on the verge of tears. If we rent a house together in another country, she is the one buying sliced white bread, pb and jelly, while the rest of us are tossing all kinds of cool and interesting stuff in our shopping carts.

"Still it is not as bad as having to deal with someone who is Vegan. I don't personally care but it makes going out to eat or cooking for them a chore."

I don't mind at all eating with someone who is vegan. Someone close to me developed a dairy allergy at around age 20 that causes almost instant, explosive D, if you know what I mean. It has become easier to find a restaurant to suit everyone the last several years, and it's been kind of a fun challenge to find delicious recipes our whole group can eat, dairy allergy girl included.

amylou321 thanked Bluebell66
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

"There used to be highly professional checkers who knew each piece of produce by code name. One, who was a family favorite a couple of decades ago, was a checker while getting an advanced nursing degree. And after, because she couldn't deal with the pay cut she'd have to take to work as a nurse."

I used to be one of those, during pre-scanner, pre-sticker years, working part time at a journeyman level during my university years. I worked at a large and busy chain (Ralphs, if you are in SoCal). They'd give us speed tests quarterly and I was usually first or second for speed and accuracy in the store, scoring higher than most of the full timers. I will tell you, as familiar as I was with produce (I'd walk through the displays each day on my way in, before punching in), I made mistakes. Usually when there were different sizes of the same thing at different prices. When trying to recognize something with a brief glance, it's easy to make a mistake.

I would have loved to have had scanners and stickers.

Unlike your nursing student example, I willingly chose to take a pay cut, trading a journeyman's hourly wage at a mind-numbingly boring job that went no higher (union job) for an entry-level professional position. The professional position led to a great career with almost unlimited upward mobility. Manual labor is manual labor. Usually the less thinking such jobs require, progressively lower levels of thinking anyone doing it will apply.

• arkansas girl
    last year

I think my biggest food pet peeve is why does everything have to be so sweet nowadays? I know, not a big deal but I never knew that BBQ was supposed to be covered in honey until I moved to Ohio! HA!

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • eld6161
    last year

Why does the vegetarian get to pick the restaurant?

As a mother of 1 vegan, 1 vegetarian, when we go to dinner, they are my priority. If you don't have a specific diet, you can eat anywhere.

We had a friend who used to try to pick off our plates. I am still friends with the wife but webno longer go out as couples. It's one thing to share what are you eating, but only if you want to.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

To be fair, I will share something that I do that peeves people.

If there is anything that requires a knife and a fork, or something that is meant to be eaten a chunk at a time, I cut mine up completely into pieces before I begin eating. Steak, pancakes or waffles, a piece of chicken or any meat really. I will cut it up before I eat. A few people have noticed and mentioned it for whatever reason.

I maintain that if people STOPPED watching what and how I eat (and thus irritating MY pet peeves) then they wouldn't be bothered by it. BUT I do know that some people just like to comment on such things out loud so that they can hear themselves talk.

Regarding people who choose to follow a specific diet for whatever reason, if they do not comment on what I eat, I will return the favor. I will not try to coerce a vegan or vegetarian or anyone else into eating something that is not in their diet, and I do NOT want to hear the reasons why they follow said diet, or why I should too. Eat and let eat, and NO WHINING from either side!!!!

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Amylou, You reminded me of my cutting up all DH's meat for him to eat.. when he couldn't. People would see him eating and comment, which made him feel bad. grrrr

One time we were at Ruth'sChris and had ordered steak. Staff could see how DH was and that I was going to cut up his steak so he could eat. They wisked away his plate, sliced it in the kitchen, and assembled it perfectly so as to seem whole. (Sharp knives?) They did this every time we came in... I guess they remembered us. He would be served his meat and veggie, etc. already cut and perfectly assembled. To say that this was my husband's favorite restaurant is an understatement. I was/am sooooo grateful for their kind service.